Coach Mac to Moncton???

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I don't see it happening, but you never know.

My gut feeling has always been that Gardiner would need a Coach/GM dual position in Major Junior to lure him away from UNB, much like what Danny got when he went to Moncton. Not just just a head coach job, which would give him less independence than he's used to with the V-Reds.

He's got a good thing going at UNB, he really can't get fired, and he's coaching Team Canada (AUS) in December. Give up that now?

On the other hand, if Robert Irving was to throw Irving-like money at him ...

Trevor is the Coach of the Year. Why wouldn't he get an offer ahead of Gardiner?

:)

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada

My gut feeling has always been that Gardiner would need a Coach/GM dual position in Major Junior to lure him away from UNB, much like what Danny got when he went to Moncton. Not just just a head coach job, which would give him less independence than he's used to with the V-Reds.

He's got a good thing going at UNB, he really can't get fired, and he's coaching Team Canada (AUS) in December. Give up that now?

Trevor is the Coach of the Year. Why wouldn't he get an offer ahead of Gardiner?

If it does happen, who takes over the head coaching job at UNB?
Dylan Taylor, Sparks?
Didn't Flinn take a leave at X after winning the National title in 2004. I think that the window has long since closed as Brad Peddle has had the head coaching job ever since.
Maybe Flinn to UNB?:naughty:

STUTOMMIES

Jul 23, 2008
Fredericton

Heard the rumour about Gmac on the weekend. Coaches in the Q seem to be spreading it about.

I can't see it but you never know.

How about ego? He's a big fish in a little pond. Does he do the UNB gig forever? His kids are both grown, what's holding him, FISU? Nah. He is probably no better than university level anyway and like Iam sure he tells his players "don't challenge yourself, don't grow and don't try for the next level be happy with what you have" :)

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
In the Danny Flynn story in today's Moncton Times&Transcript:

University of New Brunswick Varsity Reds head coach Gardiner MacDougall would be a high-profile candidate to become Moncton's new head coach if he's interested in coming to the QMJHL for a new challenge.

MacDougall has been UNB head coach for 12 seasons and during that time the Varsity Reds have won five Atlantic titles and made eight trips to the Canadian championship tournament. The Varsity Reds won their fifth national championship this season during his tenure.

He was named coach of the year four times in junior A in Western Canada before coming to UNB. He's built the Varsity Reds into a national powerhouse and accomplished everything you can imagine as a coach in the Canadian university ranks.

Irving likes to hire big-name head coaches who are proven winners and MacDougall certainly fits that description. The question is whether MacDougall would be willing to give up the great situation he has in Fredericton to take charge in Moncton.

Contacted last night, MacDougall didn't confirm that he was interested in the job as Wildcats head coach. He also didn't rule it out.

"We have an unbelievable situation at UNB," he said. "That's my NHL. My priority right now is player recruitment for next season there. I haven't thought about any movement to major junior or pro at this time. But Moncton is a marquee franchise and I have so much respect for the Wildcats and Mr. Irving."

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I just threw this out there already knowing my answer: Gardiner would find it difficult to answer to someone as a coach only. He would need to be the main guy. Also, the boom-bust cycle that is junior hockey wouldn't sit well with him. He couldn't pick his own team, stacked with top players; he would have to coach whatever 16 year olds got drafted.

He's got a great gig in UNB, will be Head Coach at FISU. Unless scads of money are offered and an ironclad long term contract, I don't see him going anywhere.

Stieny would not take the job as his kids are still young and he would NOT leave them.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
What could happen, and it was the case when Danny first went to Moncton I believe, is that Gardiner could take a one-year "sabbatical" leave of absence to try it out. Most long-term university hockey coaches have this option.

But, since this a FISU year, the timing is all wrong.

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
A couple of things Flynn left St FX to be assistant to Ted Nolan with the Willdcats with whom he had worked with in OHL and rejoined the Cats after a year with Nolan in the NHL with the Isles.
Daniel Lacroix maybe available as he was Head Coach of the Cats and assistant with Flynn under Nolan plus moved to the NHL with Nolan and Flynn.
His time maybe up in Tampa with coaching changes there. They've worked together before and Irving is loyal
Just saying..........
What about Fabien Joseph he hasn't been fired.
Also Flynn wasn't fired he is now full time Director of Hockey Operations

Last edited:

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I think it's semantics, Alpine, but your point is taken. Nowhere did it say he was fired as Head Coach but he is no longer in that position. As far as Fabian taking over, he didn't do a stellar job at Dalhousie during his tenure. The 1 year at the Nationals as the wildcard was with Shayne Easter's team. Lacroix would be a good choice if he is available.

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
I think it's semantics, Alpine, but your point is taken. Nowhere did it say he was fired as Head Coach but he is no longer in that position. As far as Fabian taking over, he didn't do a stellar job at Dalhousie during his tenure. The 1 year at the Nationals as the wildcard was with Shayne Easter's team. Lacroix would be a good choice if he is available.
Then there's that year between Nolan and Flynn with the Cats where the guy with an Italian that escapes me that started with a T went on to be assistant with the Black Hawks the following year. EDIT....John Torchetti. Now head coach of AHL's Houston Aeros
Look we don't even know if coach Mac was offered anything.
But only he can answer...Am I comfortable? Or do I wanna be under a biigger microscope and face a new challenge?
CIS maybe better hockey but CHL is higher profile..hard to argue.

Last edited:

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Then there's that year between Nolan and Flynn with the Cats where the guy with an Italian that escapes me that started with a T went on to be assistant with the Black Hawks the following year. EDIT....John Torchetti. Now head coach of AHL's Houston Aeros
Look we don't even know if coach Mac was offered anything.
But only he can answer...Am I comfortable? Or do I wanna be under a biigger microscope and face a new challenge?
CIS maybe better hockey but CHL is higher profile..hard to argue.

Pete Belliveau?:naughty::yo::rant:

WilcoxHound

Aug 26, 2011
I haven't seen anywhere that Moncton has a short list for a new coach yet and when there is one MacDougall could well be on it. Until then all is just innuendo. If he ultimately becomes the Moncton target do the Wildcats have enough money to pry him away from his tenure with UNB where he no doubt would be welcome to stay for as long as he chooses or is he looking for a new challenge and another path to pro hockey. He would need to achieve the status in major junior of a Brian Kilrea, Bert Templeton or Don Hay to have the job security he has at UNB. He doesn't strike me as "Riverboat Gambler" type.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Gardiner still has 1-year left on his contract and I think he intends to finish out his tenure without leaving early. Leaving at this stage would hurt the program he's put so much into (a new coach would take 2-3 months to find while Sparks and Taylor would drive the recruiting - hard to commit to a team when you don't know who you're playing for). It would also mean missing out on WUG-2013 - not the biggest event in the world, but a coaching feather in your cap none the less. The school could skip the whole process and just go with Sparks.

I agree with others that Gardiner would want a coaching/GM spot - coaching is fine, but it's easier to coach players you selected rather than those thrust upon you.

I would see him move on after his contract is done.

I'm sure there are some items I'm missing, but these come to mind
- 5th coach to reach 300 wins in CIS history
- currently the winning'ist coach in the AUS
- Tied with Singer(UWO) on fastest to 300 wins (13 seasons)
- four CIS Golds (3rd overall behind Tom Watt & Clare Drake)
- Coach of year titles in AUS & CIS
- back-to-back AUS titles for 3 in a row '11 to '13
- 27-1 record sets 'wins from opener', most wins and pts records.

Helped the team to
- T2nd with 13 AUS titles with SMU
- most CIS titles among all AUS schools with 5

The only thing(s) he hasn't done
- back-to-back CIS titles
- WUG Head Coach

gleanerguy

Nov 27, 2009
Spoke to him yesterday. Has had no conversations with Irving, but all but dismissed it. He's really excited about the 1992 crop of recruits, he and Shannon are familiar with many of them through the V-Reds Prospects program, so they have a valuable in. He's excited about the idea of back-to-back titles and the world university games...didn't come right out and say it, but I think it would take unbelievable coin to get him to leave his situation here...he's close to Roger Shannon, and its interesting that Flynn remains as director of hockey operations, but not GM -- leaving the GM title open to whoever comes in. Still, I don't see him leaving to work for an owner who sits directly behind the bench and working under that microscope and in that structure. He's not happy and content and coasting on his laurels because he's not wired that way. But I don't think Moncton is a fit for him unless its a long-term deal and they bring in the money by the wheelbarrow....

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
Spoke to him yesterday. Has had no conversations with Irving, but all but dismissed it. He's really excited about the 1992 crop of recruits, he and Shannon are familiar with many of them through the V-Reds Prospects program, so they have a valuable in. He's excited about the idea of back-to-back titles and the world university games...didn't come right out and say it, but I think it would take unbelievable coin to get him to leave his situation here...he's close to Roger Shannon, and its interesting that Flynn remains as director of hockey operations, but not GM -- leaving the GM title open to whoever comes in. Still, I don't see him leaving to work for an owner who sits directly behind the bench and working under that microscope and in that structure. He's not happy and content and coasting on his laurels because he's not wired that way. But I don't think Moncton is a fit for him unless its a long-term deal and they bring in the money by the wheelbarrow....
The GM position with the Wildcats is a business job. A better title might be Head of Business Operations. Selling tix, sponsorship. making $. Jeff Rose is the GM. The Wildcats are not just a team but also a business within the Irving Group employing about 100 people. Gm gotta be a tough job, Bad seasons average 4,300 good seasons average 4,500...tough sell
Flynn is Director of Hockey Operations and will basically hire his replacement. This is smoke and mirrors. Flynn wants to focus on scouting and recruiting and leave coaching.
If you read the press release Flynn says that because of hip problems he was gonna leave coaching due to not being able to be on the ice,
Not to defend him... but he's won a Memorial Cup. a Gold or 2 with Team Canada, A Uni Cup with ST FX, a Q title or 2 and made it to the NHL. He doesn't have much to prove

Last edited:

gleanerguy

Nov 27, 2009
The GM position with the Wildcats is a business job. A better title might be Head of Business Operations. Selling tix, sponsorship. making $. Jeff Rose is the GM. The Wildcats are not just a team but also a business within the Irving Group employing about 100 people. Gm gotta be a tough job, Bad seasons average 4,300 good seasons average 4,500...tough sell
Flynn is Director of Hockey Operations and will basically hire his replacement. This is smoke and mirrors. Flynn wants to focus on scouting and recruiting and leave coaching.
If you read the press release Flynn says that because of hip problems he was gonna leave coaching due to not being able to be on the ice,
Not to defend him... but he's won a Memorial Cup. a Gold or 2 with Team Canada, A Uni Cup with ST FX, a Q title or 2 and made it to the NHL. He doesn't have much to prove

Completely agree. Had not seen any reference to his hip problems. If that's the case, it probably could have been better-handled on the PR end. The respect MacDougall and others have for Flynn in the game is well-documented. Be interesting to see what direction they go.

STUTOMMIES

Jul 23, 2008
Fredericton
gleanerguy; said:
In case you missed it, Tim Whitehead has been removed as coach of the University of Maine Black Bears after 12 seasons. Bob Corkum, the former Black Bear and Boston Bruin player who served as Maine's associate coach alongside Whitehead, takes the reins on an interim basis. Maine will pay out the remaining year of Whitehead's $195,000-per-year contract and begin a national search for his successor.

Athletic director Steve Abbott said he and president Paul Ferguson are committed 'to ensuring that our men's hockey program is financially sustainable, continues to focus on developing the student-athlete, and is known nationally for excellence.' Wonder what order they put those i n.

'This is about the future of our marquee program,' Abbott said. 'Since 2008, Maine has experienced declining Hockey East success, season ticket sales and overall ticket revenues, and waning student engagement in men's ice hockey.' Whitehead had a record of 250-171-54 at Maine.

Now this is something I could Ned Flanders being interested in.

gleanerguy

Nov 27, 2009
Salary double. But if they can get a Maine alum, that will be the way they go, I think. Easier to sell to their alum and fans. U of Denver job is open too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad