Coach John Hynes Discussion

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think it's a little premature to call Hynes one of the best coaches in the league.

Although people think AV is one of the best coaches in the league, so what passes for ''Best coaches in the league'' doesn't really surprise me.

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
I think it's a little premature to call Hynes one of the best coaches in the league.

Although people think AV is one of the best coaches in the league, so what passes for ''Best coaches in the league'' doesn't really surprise me.
I’ve been hearing for 20 years how Ol’ Barry Two-Rounds is one of the best, yet he can’t even get out out of the second round. Babcock also looks like he’s getting exposed in Toronto with all these slow plods that he loves to play.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I've said it before, but there are very few truly great coaches in this league, a few truly awful ones, and probably about 15-20 coaches in the middle that all have their own little annoying quirks. To me, Hynes is in that middle group. I think he is a bit slow to adjust strategically, and he has some of the same rewarding the "good soldier" mentality that a lot of coaches have (see Babcock still employing the likes of Matt Martin and Roman Polak). I think there's no doubt though that the players buy in to what he's saying, and the fact that we just had a 97 point season and made the playoffs in year 3 of the new regime is pretty impressive.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
It's pretty sad that our own fanbase can't even appreciate what we have in John Hynes.

The guy is a rookie head coach, was given a shit roster because our ex GM left this team in shambles and managed to make us a playoff team in less then 3 years.

He has the admiration of our best player and managed to elevate Taylor Hall's game where he never went to. It's not all on Hynes but he does have a key role in what Taylor was able to do this year.

For those complaining about personnel decisions and other nonsense, it's just the way it is cause we don't know what's going on behind closed doors. I don't care who are head coach will be... everyone will complain about a certain decision they won't like. I remember posters going crazy over Jacques Lemaire for playing this guy over that guy and JL was one of the best coaches in the game.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Hynes is a great leader, one of the best in the league imo. I just think he’s assemblered a bad staff or is not good at x’s and o’s. Both could be true but having smart guys around you to teach those x’s and o’s is what we need.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York

Only for win now teams and for less than 3-4 years.

I actually really like Hynes.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
WHOMST ARE YOU, AND WHY DOST THOU LURKEST?
MIGHT THOU BE JOINING THE DEVILS FANDOM?
I am the rarest of all Plams, whomst've'd which was on the hype train and bandwagon and have more fun at the Rock than MSG (More fun there because atmosphere>>>> and it's fun to go more)

I actually lurk a lot but don't post much even though I'd like to

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
I am the rarest of all Plams, whomst've'd which was on the hype train and bandwagon and have more fun at the Rock than MSG (More fun there because atmosphere>>>> and it's fun to go more)

I actually lurk a lot but don't post much even though I'd like to
your avatar confuses me, just switch allegiances officially already, our boards are a lot more fun

Reactions: PlamsUnlimited

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
Pretty strong correlation between blindly hating Hynes and not knowing anything about hockey

AveryQuietMan

free chinese food for everyone
Oct 2, 2017
I've heard some HF posters say that aren't impressed though so I'll clearly take their word for it.

inexperienced team, inexperienced coach. still made the playoffs when not one 'expert' picked us to make it.

people being skeptical shouldnt be so surprising tho.

lets see how he does next year. personally i question some of his moves and his demeanor at times. but hes earned at least another year. the future looks pretty bright.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Did Maroon really just bury the super elite head coach up in Edmonton? The guy who was the reason that the Sharks made the playoffs all those years? The guy who Thornton and Marleau were a product of?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Should have been a finalist for the Jack Adams with Gallant and Bednar but Bruce Cassidy was the third finalist.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Should have been a finalist for the Jack Adams with Gallant and Bednar but Bruce Cassidy was the third finalist.
went into a FB discussion about it

there is a point for cassidy, since this is actually his 1st full NHL coaching year, and the Bs missed the playoffs in 2 of the last 3 years (under julien)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad