News Article: Coach & GM by Peter Tessier

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
One of the things not being discussed with the Jets right now is the contract status of both head coach Paul Maurice and GM Kevin Cheveldayoff, both of whom are entering the final year of their deals. While it’s not surprising that with the SCF happening and the commissioner’s preference for all other news to be muted, there has been plenty of time to get these deal done already.

For the pessimistically inclined this lack of action is nothing short of the owner being somewhat skeptical of the results to date and the problems that exist within the roster. By so many accounts this team should be better than it is and that means there’s some one or some thing at fault.

Is it Paul Maurice, a coach who presents articulately and with confidence but seems to have mediocre results at best no matter where he goes? What about the roster, one built through some excellent drafting at the top end but hardly enough for a team acquired not built from scratch. After six drafts should there be more to show than Lowry, Copp, Scheifele, Trouba, Ehlers, Laine, Morrissey and Hellebuyck? Both Connor and Roslovic are close and if you consider that Chiarot has played regularly then it’s not looking so bad is it? Is that on Maurice- perhaps.

That’s the curious part and where so many observers arrive, why is this team not better given it’s parts?

[MOD]

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?blogger_id=161

Last edited by a moderator:

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Interesting and reasonable article, posting to discuss regardless of your POV.

D1G

Apr 13, 2017
Winnipeg Manitoba
I'm in the pessimistic side. This team should be performing better. But I am open for a good offseason and to bounce back and then never look back

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
One of the things not being discussed with the Jets right now is the contract status of both head coach Paul Maurice and GM Kevin Cheveldayoff, both of whom are entering the final year of their deals. While it’s not surprising that with the SCF happening and the commissioner’s preference for all other news to be muted, there has been plenty of time to get these deal done already.

For the pessimistically inclined this lack of action is nothing short of the owner being somewhat skeptical of the results to date and the problems that exist within the roster. By so many accounts this team should be better than it is and that means there’s some one or some thing at fault.

Sorry, speaking as one of the pessimistically inclined, this does not at all reflect my POV. A true pessimistic perspective is that the owner is satisfied with the work to date of both Chevy and Maurice, and that extensions will be announced soon now that the hockey season has mercifully come to an end.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Meh. Its hockeybuzz so pretty tough to take seriously

Not really, this is not a trade rumour. This is a writers opinion and he's fairly accurately relying the different pov's regarding the situation.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Meh article.

Everyone talks about underachieving because the teams so much more talented then what they have proven to be. If that's the case then it seems silky to slag Chevy' s methods as he's assembled a tonne of talent which is his chief responsibility as a GM.

I think it's clearly Moes fault if fault should be handed out as he was given a number of quality tools and didn't always make the best of it. But even then the team was rocked substantially by injuries so there is that question mark as well.

It seems like Chevy is looking at Raatna so it's clear goaltending will be addressed this off-season. He does that and adds a support piece or two and he's fixed every hole on this team while assembling a dominant top 6 and top 3. That is a job well done imo.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Sorry, speaking as one of the pessimistically inclined, this does not at all reflect my POV. A true pessimistic perspective is that the owner is satisfied with the work to date of both Chevy and Maurice, and that extensions will be announced soon now that the hockey season has mercifully come to an end.

Better statement of pessimism. I think Hunter is confusing pessimism with negativity. :laugh:

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Meh article.

Everyone talks about underachieving because the teams so much more talented then what they have proven to be. If that's the case then it seems silky to slag Chevy' s methods as he's assembled a tonne of talent which is his chief responsibility as a GM.

I think it's clearly Moes fault if fault should be handed out as he was given a number of quality tools and didn't always make the best of it. But even then the team was rocked substantially by injuries so there is that question mark as well.

It seems like Chevy is looking at Raatna so it's clear goaltending will be addressed this off-season. He does that and adds a support piece or two and he's fixed every hole on this team while assembling a dominant top 6 and top 3. That is a job well done imo.

- GM has done an average to slightly above average job collecting resources.

- GM is responsible for the coach.

- PMO is responsible for his actions or lack of them.

- I think the article relates all this, plus addresses your last point of being a big summer for chevy to address some areas of weakness.

Going to be an interesting summer for many reasons, draft, ED draft, FA, trades and management (GM & Coach).

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Meh article.

If Chevy achieves those things, that is fixes the net and a couple of tweaks I'd have to agree. That said, it means that either way Chevy either has a job well done or is very close to it.

The exception might be the HC. He is also Chevy's man. Give Maurice a little rope because of injuries and the goaltending that Chevy gave him, and a lot of inexperience on the roster. There were things he did that were seriously bad coaching even without those excuses.

Maybe I'm wrong and Maurice will succeed with his methods when the excuses are gone. We'll see.

Briscodog

May 2, 2016
I said this before but here goes again. Maurice just bought a big beautiful house in the south west part of town. A small acreage to be accurate. Not the actions of a man that is unsure of his future in this city. He's signed an extension and it'll be announced over the summer.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I said this before but here goes again. Maurice just bought a big beautiful house in the south west part of town. A small acreage to be accurate. Not the actions of a man that is unsure of his future in this city. He's signed an extension and it'll be announced over the summer.

TSNE and Chevy believe in him.
TNSE believe in Chevy
No real surprises here.
The assistants aren't necessarily safe are they ?
Although I hate the status quo it's the only Jets team we have to cheer for.
So it will be interesting to see if status quo can get us to the promised land.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad