Coach firing snowball effect.

Ishdul

Jan 20, 2007
But those same fans liked him when they were winning.

Jack Adams a year ago and all of a sudden he forgot how to coach?

Naw, I blame the players.
That is always a rule of fans; if you win, they like you, if you don't, they hate you. It is nothing specific to Senators fans, and it's just as unfair for when you win as when you lose.

There's a long history of Jack Adams winners who got fired soon after. It's also a pretty common discussion point, accurate or not, that coaches wear out their welcome and such.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Has that ever actually happened? A coach got fired and a team was so exuberant about his availability that they fired their own coach just to scoop him up?

Chain reaction happened with Vancouver..

Brian Burke had Keenan as a coach... had him on a short leash.
Marc Crawford had resigned from coaching the previous yr from the Avs and was doing TV.
I can't remember which team it was, but a team fired their coach midway thru the season and Burke, out of fear they would scoop up Crawford, pulled the trigger on Keenan to scoop up Crawford before he was lost to the market.

I'm gonna go google and see if i can't find out the team/coach that was fired and get a timeline going for clarity... But that's how i have it remembered... will be interesting if memory matches facts here..

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
Has that ever actually happened? A coach got fired and a team was so exuberant about his availability that they fired their own coach just to scoop him up?

I'd be willing to bet McLellan will have a similar effect to this if he's fired this year. Whether it's justified or not? I'm not sure.

as an Oilers fan I hope so

If that happens, I feel a little bit sorry for Eakins. The guy actually took a step back in his career by taking an NHL job. I'm sure his bank account doesn't mind one bit though.

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
Section 308
One would think Eakins is done, but if he hasn't been fired by now...

Bill Peters might not be safe and Maclean would be a great fit there.

The Hurricanes just hired Peters, and the team is playing a much more structured, up tempo game than under Muller. The problem is lack of offensive production from Eric and Semin, not to mention Jordan being out for half the season. Also, boneheaded defensive gaffs at the worst possible times.

Coaching is the least of the Hurricanes' concerns.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Not trying to be a jerk, but I'm sceptical that MacLean would actually want to take on the Oilers roster after what he said about Ottawa's (whether in jest or not)

But I'd like to see what he could do there, and if he's not gonna be the Leafs next coach then I'd like him to go to a western team.

Dynheart

Aug 21, 2011
Personally I liked him but if you go wander over to the sens board you will see the majority didn't. I didn't agree with them but you are wrong there.

everyone will blame the coach when things arent going right. when you are 20 million under cap? i believe that anger should have been direcred elsewhere.

fun fact... wings fans wanted to run babcock out of town the last two seasons... the coach all teams outside a few would love to have. fans, players and gms alike. didnt make him bad now did it?

the popular thing is to blame the coachbas the fans on these boards believe their teams is eons better than what it is, and the coach is failing hard.

bring in the new coach fans beg for, and they kill it....for a season. probably because the other coaches haven't quite figured out the new guys system yet, but do the following season...fire that coach and move onto the next.

it might just be the roster...but most fans and gms will never admit that...its all on the coach to bring a bad team to playoff contention...and retain it with that roster while other coaches figure you and your roster out.

people sometimes forget their's another team and coach they are going against. simply changing simply changing thing because the fans disagree isnt always the right move, as the other coach can make you look foolish.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Chain reaction happened with Vancouver..

Brian Burke had Keenan as a coach... had him on a short leash.
Marc Crawford had resigned from coaching the previous yr from the Avs and was doing TV.
I can't remember which team it was, but a team fired their coach midway thru the season and Burke, out of fear they would scoop up Crawford, pulled the trigger on Keenan to scoop up Crawford before he was lost to the market.

I'm gonna go google and see if i can't find out the team/coach that was fired and get a timeline going for clarity... But that's how i have it remembered... will be interesting if memory matches facts here..

January 21, 1999 - Milbury stepped down as coach to be the GM fulltime, and hired Bill Stewart as coach.

Jan 24th, 1999 - Keenan fired, Crawford hired.

The word as i remember it was that Milbury was after Crawford to take as the Islander coach.. Burke got word of it... and began his own discussions with Crawford.. Crawford turned down Milbury, Milbury went in another direction and Burke got Crawford.

So sort of a chain reaction...

And just because i've looked it up and have the info right now, might as well share it before i toss the post-it the garbage:

98-99 season:
Panthers fired MacLean after 23 games.
Milbury stepped down after 46 games.
Canucks fired Keenan after 45 games.
Blackhawks fired Graham after 59 games..

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Fans will turn on a coach very quickly when a team starts losing. The leafs are content now with being a few games over 500 but wanted to string Carlyle up by the short and curly's after the 9-2 loss.

Don't kid yourself, most of us still want him gone.

Dynheart

Aug 21, 2011
If the fans had their way, all of the coaches would be unemployed ever other season.

If the roster is star studded and the coach is getting results? He's a top coach in the league! If that same coach goes through some changes, and the roster is crap and he misses the playoffs a few times? He's in the dog house. Get rid of him.

Where's the next up and coming AHL coach? Let's grab him!

Or

Who is next in the Coach carousel? He's got to be the one! Not if he's been fired 2 times already from 2 other Orgs.!

Fire! Fire them all! Pitchforks and all.

ZeroPT*

Apart from Eakins, the coach who should most definitely be fired is Berube. Guy is so stupid it boggles my mind how he's still coaching.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
It's only matter of time before Avalanche fans start calling for Roy's head, but I think it will take at least one more season. Next season, he might actually get boot.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I would imagine MacLean's going to want to lay low for a while and regroup. This could have a big affect on who keeps their job in the off-season though. MacLean seems to be well-respected league-wide.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Wherever he goes I hope he gets to pick his own assistant coaches. In Ottawa his assistant was none other than Dave Cameron, Melnyks first choice as head coach ,just bidding his time...His own choice was Mark Reeds who fell ill with cancer last year after which they brought in Jason Smith,former player who has almost no experience as coach and is another of Murray's projects .

Murray seemed to be undermining him. At the end of last year he threw him under the bus and went to the press with complaints that he was too demanding and not as friendly with the players as before.Murray seems to have lent a sympathetic ear for any complaints against his coach and backed certain of the players (Zack Smith felt lost!)against his coach, It was just a matter of time.

Almost any other team will seem like a piece of cake in comparison especially if there is an owner who doesn't think he should have a championship team with the lowest payroll in the NHL and a GM who likes to micromanage and assistants who have the ear of the owner waiting like vultures to take his job.

Aceonfire*

The only reason Eakins has a job right now is because the players went to bat for him and spoke to MacT directly.

If McLellan becomes available, MacT will be on skype that same day letting Eakins go.

MacLean wouldn't be a good fit in Edmonton like McLellan would. If he had issues getting Karlsson to play D, good luck with the Oilers. :laugh:

ZeroPT*

The only reason Eakins has a job right now is because the players went to bat for him and spoke to MacT directly.

If McLellan becomes available, MacT will be on skype that same day letting Eakins go.

MacLean wouldn't be a good fit in Edmonton like McLellan would. If he had issues getting Karlsson to play D, good luck with the Oilers. :laugh:

????

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I don't think Eakins is going anywhere until April. If they were to fire him before than I would hope that Ramsay is just given the interim label until the season is over. Even if it's a ridiculous long shot I think the Oilers are waiting to see what happens with Babcock.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
MacLean was a horrid coach the only reason he got a jack adams nomination and the trophy the year after was because of Alfie and Goaltending, he would give alfie 10 minutes with the team before every game, goaltending drops to average and bam thats the exact same system without motivation that leads the league in shots against over the last three years.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
But those same fans liked him when they were winning.

Jack Adams a year ago and all of a sudden he forgot how to coach?

Naw, I blame the players.
That's actually the narrative being supported - that after getting validated by the Jack Adams, his attitude abruptly changed and he ceased to be effective.

This isn't exactly an unprecedented phenomenon in hockey, either. See: Steve Mason's Calder Trophy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->