Coach Candidates

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Considering Woodcroft has 1 year of experience as a Head Coach I would be hesitant. Let him coach down there for a couple years.

Problem will be if you wait on him, you’ll likely lose him after next year. Unless of course we hire another lame duck coach and he gets axed after one season here.

Sounds like the players really like playing for him.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I'll repeat what I wrote in another thread: this team should not need an amazing coach to win games. Average should be more than enough. If a team stands and fall with the ability of the coach then we are in big trouble. I don't want a magician who by tactics manage to outsmart the other teams, that shouln't be necessary.

McL was one of the most sought after coaches in 2015. Hitch is knocking on the top 10 all time NHL coaches...

Honestly, these are the guys holding us back? Come on.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Problem will be if you wait on him, you’ll likely lose him after next year. Unless of course we hire another lame duck coach and he gets axed after one season here.

Sounds like the players really like playing for him.
Then so be it.. he hasn't proven enough to make the jump.

That would be a terrible reason to bring him up as coach.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
As far as experienced coaches ... AV is the only guy I like.
Lots of younger guys that have promise though.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Then so be it.. he hasn't proven enough to make the jump.

That would be a terrible reason to bring him up as coach.

No I agree. I guess I was trying to point out that “leave him in the minors for a couple years” isn’t really an option. Timing is everything when it comes to hiring coaches, sometimes it just doesn’t work.

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
pull a Toronto, Offer Q the max term with max salary, Katz is loaded and it doesn't count against the cap so why not.
an excellent 1-2-3 punch in McDavid, Leon and RNH. Have a smart and simple offseason, I don't think they need to add any big names, just some depth on the wings and fix the bottom six. Personally I think Marcus Johansson would be a nice signing this summer, very skilled and great at carrying the puck up the ice and I don't think he would cost much against the cap.
McDavid is the best player in the league so I don't think it should be complicated.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Tortorella is probably the last guy I'd want to see here - can't stand the guy. I'd look for a younger coach. Woodcroft is probably too inexperienced though.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I don't like the idea of hiring a veteran coach like Queneville personally. I think a lot of coaches coming out of junior hockey and the AHL are going to be successful because of the experience dealing with younger players. Guys like Torts are going to be run out of the league soon enough. I'm sure this is part of the reason Columbus is going to lose Panarin and Bobrovsky. The Oilers were a step behind when it came to identifying how the game was changing (from size to skill/speed), they better not be when it comes to hiring.

scotchtapejr

Dec 28, 2018
No to coach Q. I think the game has changed too much and hes getting up there in age.

Id prefer a younger coach. No to Jay Woodcroft for sure but I find it hard to speculate on frontrunners.

Def give Todd Nelson, Kris Knoblauch, and Sheldon Keefe interviews though.

Maybe even Alain Vingeault.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I honestly don't think it matters much who the coach is for the next couple of seasons.

Bring back Dallas Eakins for all I care. The crux of the Oilers' problem is player depth personnel.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I honestly don't think it matters much who the coach is for the next couple of seasons.

Bring back Dallas Eakins for all I care. The crux of the Oilers' problem is player depth personnel.
Part of the reason the Oilers are where they are right now is because of coaching.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Part of the reason the Oilers are where they are right now is because of coaching.
A very small part, in my opinion. Let's look back at the recent (or is it a long time? I can't deal) history of Oilers' coaches and fans' reactions:

2009 -- MacTavish. Fanbase: "MacT needs to go!"

MacT is fired. Team drops 23 points in the standings.

2010 -- Pat Quinn. Fanbase: "Quinn needs to go!"

Quinn is fired. Team has exactly the same record as the year prior.

2011 -- Tom Renney. Fanbase: "Renney needs to go!"

2013 -- Ralph Krueger. MacT: "Krueger needs to go!"

2014 -- Dallas Eakins. Fanbase: "Eakins needs to go!"

2016 -- McLellan. Fanbase: "McLellan needs to go!"

2018 -- Hitchcock. Fanbase: "Hitch needs to go!"

At some point, it's not the coach.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
A very small part, in my opinion. Let's look back at the recent (or is it a long time? I can't deal) history of Oilers' coaches and fans' reactions:

2009 -- MacTavish. Fanbase: "MacT needs to go!"

MacT is fired. Team drops 23 points in the standings.

2010 -- Pat Quinn. Fanbase: "Quinn needs to go!"

Quinn is fired. Team has exactly the same record as the year prior.

2011 -- Tom Renney. Fanbase: "Renney needs to go!"

2013 -- Ralph Krueger. MacT: "Krueger needs to go!"

2014 -- Dallas Eakins. Fanbase: "Eakins needs to go!"

2016 -- McLellan. Fanbase: "McLellan needs to go!"

2018 -- Hitchcock. Fanbase: "Hitch needs to go!"

At some point, it's not the coach.
I think Renney is the only one who didn't deserve to be fired.

Coaching won't improve until the Oilers stop hiring guys who coach different than how the game is played today.

Last edited:

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
AV has an excellent track record so I think he can sit back a little and wait for an opportunity more to his liking. I suppose there's a few good coaches in that position. Gotta go after someone young and desperate. In the meantime, draft well and draft often.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
Todd Nelson or Alain Vigneault
Preferably Nelly
His 1st line of Pouliot-Nuge-Eberle was the hottest producing line in the league in the last month of that season. Imagine what he can do with Draisaitl-McDavid-Puljujarvi and Nuge as his 2nd line.
He has never been out of the playoffs in 8 seasons as an AHL coach. OKC dropped off the grid after he left, and he guided the GR Griffins to a championship in just his 2nd year as head coach there.

Assuming that Gully leaves (hopefully Yawney and Manny stay), let Nelson have his choice of his right hand man. That person is crucial to the communication and system implementation of the head coach to the players.

I wouldn't even care if Eakins was the assistant coach, he's done a fine job in San Diego, and said that he's changed his whole coaching mantra ever since getting fired.
Two former Edmonton coaches, who got demoted back to the AHL, turned their respective teams into yearly contenders, and now refined, seasoned and experienced, back for a 2nd crack at the title. What a story that would be, especially if they win a cup

Last edited:

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I tend to look at it two ways. I partly agree with @The Panther that it's player personnel. I partly agree with @Del Preston that it's been coaching/the wrong hires.

Mclellan and Hitchcock have failed here due to the roster makeup. Hitchcock, arguably, has a slightly worse roster to deal with than Mclellan. That said, they (along with Quinn) are both from the "old school"/"dinosaur" approach to coaching with a majority of millennial generation players on today's rosters.

Hitchcock nailed it in his After Hours interview a month or so back when he gave an explanation on how he's had to change his coaching style over the past 20 years to get player buy-in. He alluded when he first got into coaching at the pro level in the early 90's, the players were told "This what I want you to do", and they went out and did it. Then the generation changed to "This is what I want you to do and this is why" around the early part of 2000 and the players went out and did it. Then around 2010 or a little after, he said the generation of players changed again to "This is what I want you to do, this is why and this is what's in it for you". He said to be successful this day in age, you need to cover all three of those things: the what, the why and the reward. As we're approaching 2020, is their a 4th element coaches need to incorporate now? Possibly.

I don't think J.Q. is going to be the answer either. This roster isn't going to perform any better under him than it does Hitchcock. He's also going to want big dollars and term so if he flops the way Hitchcock has done, then what? Hitchcock, over his career has been a pretty damn successful coach but his style just isn't working. If McDavid has any say (this is getting into Jack Eichel territory where it was rumored he got Bylsma fired), I could see them trying their hand with a younger hire and Kris Knoblauch being named the Oilers HC...risky move being his first HC gig at the NHL level, but he's young enough (40) to find the right balance between the younger players (5-6 years and less of NHL experience) and the veterans (6+ years of NHL service).

Todd Nelson would be another good choice but with who is still in charge and those same people passing him over not once, but twice, I doubt he even applies.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Quennville. After that it’s a toss up. Of course it’s the Oilers and due diligence is beyond them so they’ll probably promote Gulutzan or something like that.

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
This team has to learn to look forward not dwell on yesterday. Given our cap situation, we will be a young roster going forward. Veterans s/b guys like RNH and Larsson who quietly lead by example and don’t beef regardless who they are paired with. We need a GM with a plan built around this young group and a players coach who will encourage their growth. They both need the courage to say to say #27 is our 13-14 forward unless he contributes more. If you want to lose McDavid hire Hitchcock, Tortorella or Boudreau.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad