CN Tower to light up Habs colour

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
I'm a Leaf fan, and while I am not a Habs fan, I am still a hockey fan first. You have to be with the Leafs, or else you'd never enjoy hockey, especially playoff hockey. So I do admire some things about the Habs, I like Carey Price and such. Have a bit of a soft spot for Shea Weber, even Corey Perry. But that Habs/Leafs series was about as passionless of a series as they come and just jumping on the bandwagon and cheering for them is just sort of gross. Maybe it wasn't such a bad thing back in the day when John Ferguson would walk out of the Old Spaghetti House if he ever saw Eddie Shack come in. At least there is true animosity there.

Lastly, I'll say this, I don't necessarily like cheering for a team just because they are in Canada. I was cheering for Boston in 2011 vs. Vancouver. If anything, look at the final teams in the race right now and look at their rosters and see who has the most Canadians. I am pretty sure it is either Vegas or Colorado. But either way, pretty much all teams left have at least half of their rosters as Canadians. So I would say the one with the most is sort of Canada's team isn't it?

We share sentiments. Why in the world would I cheer for a team just because they are based in Canada? I will NEVER cheer for Montreal or Edmonton and to be blunt it's because of their fan base. Montreal fans are the absolute worst as far as I'm concerned.

Whichever team has the most Canadians mostly or if it's close whichever team is playing the style I like the most as the playoffs go along is where I hang my hat.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
I'm a Canadian that cheers for exactly 0 Canadian teams across all sports, partly because so many Canadians have this attitude.

Canadians and Americans really aren't all that different. If I'm in Ontario, I probably have more in common with a Michigander, Minnesotan, or Pennsylvanian than I do with a Quebecer or British Colombian.

There's a smug and elitist contingent of Canadian Nationalists that belittle Americans at every opportunity, and I see this shit as an extension of that.

Yeah! And there are exactly 0% of Americans that do this to Canada. Wow. Wake up and smell the coffee dude. Do you not feel the anti-Canada sentiment that runs rampant on this forum?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
We share sentiments. Why in the world would I cheer for a team just because they are based in Canada? I will NEVER cheer for Montreal or Edmonton and to be blunt it's because of their fan base. Montreal fans are the absolute worst as far as I'm concerned.

Whichever team has the most Canadians mostly or if it's close whichever team is playing the style I like the most as the playoffs go along is where I hang my hat.

Considering people who watched the series could see just how little passion our best players had I just think it explains all you need to know as a Leaf fan when you see that with the CN Tower. 54 years of no Cup will do that to you.

Reactions: Confused Turnip

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Maybe he considers himself more of a fan of his hockey team than a fan of the Stanley Cup being won by his rivals? I know, crazy to think. It's almost like the Cup is a club level award.

Yeah but if the idea of a team representing an area is ok on one level, it should be ok on all levels.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
We share sentiments. Why in the world would I cheer for a team just because they are based in Canada?

The same reason someone from Montreal cheers for the team that is based out of Montreal.

The same reason someone from Toronto cheers for the team that is based out of Toronto.

The same reason someone from Canada cheers for the team that is based out of Canada.

Why does it make a lot of sense then all of a sudden doesn't make sense in your mind?

Do you think the canadian curling team who loses out in the finals missing the chance to go to the Olympics should now cheer against team Canada in curling at the Olympics because it's their "rival"? Wouldn't that be petty?

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
The same reason someone from Montreal cheers for the team that is based out of Montreal.

The same reason someone from Toronto cheers for the team that is based out of Toronto.

The same reason someone from Canada cheers for the team that is based out of Canada.

Why does it make a lot of sense then all of a sudden doesn't make sense in your mind?

Do you think the canadian curling team who loses out in the finals missing the chance to go to the Olympics should now cheer against team Canada in curling at the Olympics because it's their "rival"? Wouldn't that be petty?

Please come back when you have a reply that makes sense. I am a hockey fan why should I give a firetruck which city a team is based out of? I live in Calgary and cheer for Toronto, whoopdeedo. Your logic makes zero sense.

I cheer for Canada when it's a country on country event. :eek2:

Team Canada in curling is Team Canada. The Montreal Canadiens do not represent the country, they are a club team based out of Montreal. :whatever:

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019
Yeah but if the idea of a team representing an area is ok on one level, it should be ok on all levels.
Two things: 1) whenever you need to use the word should it's a pretty good sign your argument is wrong (this is the case in all of life pretty much 100% of the time, so just general advice). 2) Why would that be true? If Canada is knocked out of a tournament do you cheer for the next North American team, then the next team from the combined Americas, then the next team from the Western Hemisphere, then the next team from the Global North?

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019
You've said this twice now, and I'm worried that you might think you have a point.

The Olympics aren't a club level tournament. If someone had said something like "I don't cheer on Team Canada because Price starts and I can't cheer a team with a Hab in net" then you'd be making sense, but that's not what we're talking about. Actually the fact that you had to use an example of two rival clubs not cooperating at a national tournament is a pretty good example of your own argument burying you.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Would be hilarious to see the Empire State Building light up in the colors of whatever team plays Montreal in the SCF if they make it. The US has to rally behind the American team so we keep the cup in America!

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019
Would be hilarious to see the Empire State Building light up in the colors of whatever team plays Montreal in the SCF if they make it. The US has to rally behind the American team so we keep the cup in America!
I'm so sad the East shook out the way it did, I would dearly love to see someone convince a room full of Flyers fans to cheer on the Pens after getting knocked out by them in the 2nd round.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
I hate to say it... But I have no idea what that is

Its our WW2 monument in France. Most people seem to refute the idea I nominated it here so way it goes.

Just find it strange that no one even rates it. That monument receives 800K visitors per year and its near a small town in France. The CN tower receives 1.5M people a year but its in our most popular metro of 7M+ people. Looking at it from a density perspective, it certainly holds its own against the CN tower. I disagree only history buffs know it, but im not going to try and change everyone's mind. At the end of the day like the original poster replied to me, if we are talking strictly landmarks rather than just man-made, then Niagara fall is the run away winner.

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019
Its our WW2 monument in France. Most people seem to refute the idea I nominated it here so way it goes.

Just find it strange that no one even rates it. That monument receives 800K visitors per year and its near a small town in France. The CN tower receives 1.5M people a year but its in our most popular metro of 7M+ people. Looking at it from a density perspective, it certainly holds its own against the CN tower. I disagree only history buffs know it, but im not going to try and change everyone's mind. At the end of the day like the original poster replied to me, if we are talking strictly landmarks rather than just man-made, then Niagara fall is the run away winner.
World War 1. Vimy Ridge is a battle of World War 1. Respectfully, I am familiar with and care for this monument, but the fact that even the person nominating it doesn't know what it's for is a pretty good sign that it's not that well known.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Please come back when you have a reply that makes sense. I am a hockey fan why should I give a firetruck which city a team is based out of? I live in Calgary and cheer for Toronto, whoopdeedo. Your logic makes zero sense.

I cheer for Canada when it's a country on country event. :eek2:

Team Canada in curling is Team Canada. The Montreal Canadiens do not represent the country, they are a club team based out of Montreal. :whatever:

Lol I'm not saying who you should cheer for. I'm just explaining how it's not weird.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Two things: 1) whenever you need to use the word should it's a pretty good sign your argument is wrong (this is the case in all of life pretty much 100% of the time, so just general advice). 2) Why would that be true? If Canada is knocked out of a tournament do you cheer for the next North American team, then the next team from the combined Americas, then the next team from the Western Hemisphere, then the next team from the Global North?

Should was the appropriate word to use in that context. It has nothing to do with the strength of any argument.

A lot of people do that, yes.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
You've said this twice now, and I'm worried that you might think you have a point.

The Olympics aren't a club level tournament. If someone had said something like "I don't cheer on Team Canada because Price starts and I can't cheer a team with a Hab in net" then you'd be making sense, but that's not what we're talking about. Actually the fact that you had to use an example of two rival clubs not cooperating at a national tournament is a pretty good example of your own argument burying you.

No, it's just showing an example of how people can cheer on their rivals because they aren't petty. That's it.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
I'm a Canadian that cheers for exactly 0 Canadian teams across all sports, partly because so many Canadians have this attitude.

Canadians and Americans really aren't all that different. If I'm in Ontario, I probably have more in common with a Michigander, Minnesotan, or Pennsylvanian than I do with a Quebecer or British Colombian.

There's a smug and elitist contingent of Canadian Nationalists that belittle Americans at every opportunity, and I see this shit as an extension of that.

Fortunately there is an equally smug sanctimonious contingent to remind them of it I guess. That way the rest of us get a nice balance.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I wonder why the Empire State Building didn’t light up in blue and yellow to support the Warriors against the Raptors? Where was the pride in our country? Why didn’t we rally behind them to keep the O’Brien in the US?

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
This is awesome. I mean truly an unexpected gift.
I support anything that furthers Leaf humiliation, and this is a really solid effort. Cannot wait have a copy of that photo, it will be put to good use by internet citizens everywhere.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

Not necessarily but to an extent.

I know many Americans personally so I would go for the US in the Olympics over most other countries. It's really a case by case basis for me personally.

But I know a lot of people that would cheer for the next closest country...or the country they know the most people from. So someone who's Italian would probably go for Italy as their number 2 after Canada especially if they have family back in Italy.

Most Canadians probable know more Americans than any other country's people. Lots of Americans and Canadians have friends and family across the boarder so it makes sense. I got lots of cousins in the states and they're all super nice. If Canada can't win, why wouldn't I want them to be happy?

I had a bunch of people over for a us vs Russia game and everyone was going for the US. Why? I don't know, but my guess is a mix of 1) they're the next closest country. 2) they know many Americans and are cheering for them and 3) the us is very close to our way of life.

I'm curious if Finland is playing Russia in the finals, does Sweden go for Russia against their rivals or does Scandinavian pride kick in and they support their Finnish friends??

It's an interesting debate.

Just remember that I'm not saying who anyone should cheer for. I'm arguing against the idea that its weird to support a team just because they're closest to you or something similar to that. It's normal. It's not weird.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad