CN Tower to light up Habs colour

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Has anyone else noticed the irony

Landmarks don't have to be man made.

This is the most famous and it's not even close.

niagara-falls-international-marathon-2.jpg

Agreed, I just assumed he meant man made landmarks.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
It's not as bad as some people are making it out to be in the news (yes, there were articles written about this) or on reddit or even here.

CN Tower was built by CN Rail, one of our oldest companies and headquartered in Montreal. They handed the tower over to the Federal Crown, who is choosing to support the only remaining Canadian team.

The fact that the CN Tower itself is in Toronto just happens to be a coincidence. This decision had nothing to do with the City of Toronto itself, John Tory said as much himself.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
The CN Tower's response was to tell Toronto to eat shit. :laugh:

Jennifer Paige, CN Tower director of marketing and communications, said the tower is federally owned and “operated property that belongs to all Canadians.”
“Primarily, the CN Tower’s lighting helps to raise awareness for registered charities and causes. Our lighting also helps to celebrate Canadian arts, culture and sports. We have lit for Grey Cup champions, we have lit to highlight the achievements of Canadian musicians and performers, and we have helped to cheer on Canadian teams in international sporting competitions.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
The number of arbitrary things that'll offend the leafs fanbase is astounding.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Domestically, but I would argue the most famous landmark "in" Canada is this one:

APR09_VIMY_POST04.jpg

France actually ceeded the land to Canada for perpetual use to construct the monument that we maintain along with the surrounding land. While you don't cross a border to attend the monument it is considered part of Canada.

Nope, it's the CN Tower.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I'm a Leaf fan, and while I am not a Habs fan, I am still a hockey fan first. You have to be with the Leafs, or else you'd never enjoy hockey, especially playoff hockey. So I do admire some things about the Habs, I like Carey Price and such. Have a bit of a soft spot for Shea Weber, even Corey Perry. But that Habs/Leafs series was about as passionless of a series as they come and just jumping on the bandwagon and cheering for them is just sort of gross. Maybe it wasn't such a bad thing back in the day when John Ferguson would walk out of the Old Spaghetti House if he ever saw Eddie Shack come in. At least there is true animosity there.

Lastly, I'll say this, I don't necessarily like cheering for a team just because they are in Canada. I was cheering for Boston in 2011 vs. Vancouver. If anything, look at the final teams in the race right now and look at their rosters and see who has the most Canadians. I am pretty sure it is either Vegas or Colorado. But either way, pretty much all teams left have at least half of their rosters as Canadians. So I would say the one with the most is sort of Canada's team isn't it?

You don't like cheering for a team just because they are in Canada but you like cheering for a team just because they are in Toronto?

So you associate yourself as a torontonian more than a Canadian?

I don't get the idea that it's ok to cheer for the only team from your city but doesn't make sense to cheer for the only team from your country.

They either both make sense or both don't make sense.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I often end up cheering for the team that eliminates my team. And I guess I look at rivalries as fun, as opposed to serious hatred.

As do most adults.

Imagine the curling teams that lost out from representing Canada at the olympics actively rooting against Canada because that was who they just lost against.

I'm sure they're mature and still cheer on the Canadian team even though it was their previous competition.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
I'm sure the city of Montreal / province of Quebec would do the same.

They are so gracious and accepting of all things that are different and not the same as them.

They would probably go even further and change the names of their streets to the names of Maple Leaf players.

Yep for sure I can totally see Montreal showing the same class and enlightenment as Toronto is. They are apparently exceptionally cultured.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
The Montreal Canadiens being recognized in the only true city in Canada is probably a bigger deal than them winning a Stanley cup.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
You don't like cheering for a team just because they are in Canada but you like cheering for a team just because they are in Toronto?

I don't get the idea that it's ok to cheer for the only team from your city but doesn't make sense to cheer for the only team from your country.

No, why I cheer for the Leafs is because I am a Leaf fan. I grew up as a Leaf fan. I had a bit of a soft spot for the 2004 Flames and 2006 Oilers but I didn't cheer for the 2007 Sens or 2011 Canucks just because they are from Canada. This is a bizarre thing for the CN Tower to do considering it was the soft and apathetic play of the Leafs that helped them lose. Since you just saw a series where the Leafs held the door open for their opponents and served them drinks it is weird to see that same sort of weakness being displayed here. This is why the NHL can't have good rivalries.

At least in the NFL Cowboy and Eagles fans hate each other. Or Red Sox hate the Yankees. Does that make a better sport or does a love-in make it more entertaining? Animosity is what makes hockey and any other team sport so fun to watch. Maybe considering the fact that Auston Matthews being rag dolled in a couple of scrums is still fresh in the minds of Leaf fans is the reason why it is hard to get behind such a soft gesture to what should be our rivals.

I'll give the city of Montreal credit, they wouldn't be this weak. They have more pride than that for their team.

Reactions: Confused Turnip

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Domestically, but I would argue the most famous landmark "in" Canada is this one:

APR09_VIMY_POST04.jpg

France actually ceeded the land to Canada for perpetual use to construct the monument that we maintain along with the surrounding land. While you don't cross a border to attend the monument it is considered part of Canada.
I hate to say it... But I have no idea what that is

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019
The CN Tower's response was to tell Toronto to eat shit. :laugh:

Jennifer Paige, CN Tower director of marketing and communications, said the tower is federally owned and “operated property that belongs to all Canadians.”
“Primarily, the CN Tower’s lighting helps to raise awareness for registered charities and causes. Our lighting also helps to celebrate Canadian arts, culture and sports. We have lit for Grey Cup champions, we have lit to highlight the achievements of Canadian musicians and performers, and we have helped to cheer on Canadian teams in international sporting competitions.
But they also immediately turned them off and are currently switching between promoting the Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak Awareness Week and Pride Month. So, you know...

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019

Maybe he considers himself more of a fan of his hockey team than a fan of the Stanley Cup being won by his rivals? I know, crazy to think. It's almost like the Cup is a club level award.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad