CN Tower to light up Habs colour

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I'm a Leaf fan, and while I am not a Habs fan, I am still a hockey fan first. You have to be with the Leafs, or else you'd never enjoy hockey, especially playoff hockey. So I do admire some things about the Habs, I like Carey Price and such. Have a bit of a soft spot for Shea Weber, even Corey Perry. But that Habs/Leafs series was about as passionless of a series as they come and just jumping on the bandwagon and cheering for them is just sort of gross. Maybe it wasn't such a bad thing back in the day when John Ferguson would walk out of the Old Spaghetti House if he ever saw Eddie Shack come in. At least there is true animosity there.

Lastly, I'll say this, I don't necessarily like cheering for a team just because they are in Canada. I was cheering for Boston in 2011 vs. Vancouver. If anything, look at the final teams in the race right now and look at their rosters and see who has the most Canadians. I am pretty sure it is either Vegas or Colorado. But either way, pretty much all teams left have at least half of their rosters as Canadians. So I would say the one with the most is sort of Canada's team isn't it?

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
I'm a Leaf fan, and while I am not a Habs fan, I am still a hockey fan first. You have to be with the Leafs, or else you'd never enjoy hockey, especially playoff hockey. So I do admire some things about the Habs, I like Carey Price and such. Have a bit of a soft spot for Shea Weber, even Corey Perry. But that Habs/Leafs series was about as passionless of a series as they come and just jumping on the bandwagon and cheering for them is just sort of gross. Maybe it wasn't such a bad thing back in the day when John Ferguson would walk out of the Old Spaghetti House if he ever saw Eddie Shack come in. At least there is true animosity there.

Lastly, I'll say this, I don't necessarily like cheering for a team just because they are in Canada. I was cheering for Boston in 2011 vs. Vancouver. If anything, look at the final teams in the race right now and look at their rosters and see who has the most Canadians. I am pretty sure it is either Vegas or Colorado. But either way, pretty much all teams left have at least half of their rosters as Canadians. So I would say the one with the most is sort of Canada's team isn't it?

Why do we have to cheer for a Canadian team? Lets just send 6 teams packing and have one then! This is pathetic.

Reactions: Confused Turnip

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Leafs aren't the only team in Canada. And the Habs have gotten far in the playoffs than most Canadian teams have in recent memory. It's only right.

If the leafs weren't such an embarrassment in the playoffs repeatedly, then they wouldnt probably do this gesture. There is no reason to be loyal to a mental midget team.

Vegeta

God Dammit Nappa
May 2, 2009
Capsule Corp.
Why do we have to cheer for a Canadian team? Lets just send 6 teams packing and have one then! This is pathetic.

I'm a Canadian that cheers for exactly 0 Canadian teams across all sports, partly because so many Canadians have this attitude.

Canadians and Americans really aren't all that different. If I'm in Ontario, I probably have more in common with a Michigander, Minnesotan, or Pennsylvanian than I do with a Quebecer or British Colombian.

There's a smug and elitist contingent of Canadian Nationalists that belittle Americans at every opportunity, and I see this shit as an extension of that.

Kalamazoo Wings

May 4, 2010
Knee Deep
Maybe a bet between mayors? If your team makes it out of the North we'll light up some figure in your colours. Happens in pro sports from time to time, but I suspect someone in Leafs land would know about such a bet if it were the case.

LEAFSANDBILLSFAN

May 3, 2020
I'd be livid if I were a Leafs fan.

But since I'm not...... :laugh:

Why? I'm a Leafs fan and think this is great. Maybe our morons who manage, coach, and play for the Leafs will finally feel shame and discover an emotion for the damn sport. I'm likely asking too much. Anything that embarrasses that organization right now beyond what happens on the ice is phenomenal and I fully encourage it.

LEAFSANDBILLSFAN

May 3, 2020
I'm a Canadian that cheers for exactly 0 Canadian teams across all sports, partly because so many Canadians have this attitude.

Canadians and Americans really aren't all that different. If I'm in Ontario, I probably have more in common with a Michigander, Minnesotan, or Pennsylvanian than I do with a Quebecer or British Colombian.

There's a smug and elitist contingent of Canadian Nationalists that belittle Americans at every opportunity, and I see this shit as an extension of that.

You're way over thinking this and have built this up more in your head. Strange hill to die on but you do you.

Vegeta

God Dammit Nappa
May 2, 2009
Capsule Corp.
You're way over thinking this and have built this up more in your head. Strange hill to die on but you do you.

Haha, you're likely right. I'll be honest, a lot of it could just be anecdotal. But the most vile people that I know when it comes to Canadian exceptionalism are also typically the only ones I see that get hyper invested in Canada winning a cup.

Admittedly it may just be that it is hard for me to seperate the two.

Reactions: Confused Turnip

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->