C'mon Canada ... where's the puck support/passion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
Every time I watch Team Canada play in international tournaments, I am always shocked at how poorly they support the puck compared to teams from Europe. Most of the European teams overload the side the puck is on and create an odd man advantage. It is probably one of the weakest aspects of the Canadian game. Canada needs to at least match the number of players the other team has pursuing the puck.

As for passion, the team needs to start finishing their checks and skating harder. Putting that jersey on your back means something! They have to start making their opponents worry about an oncoming hit when they are making decisions with the puck.

As for Quinn, how is the team supposed to gel when he can't decide who is playing with who? Put Bertuzzi with Nash and Thornton and tell them to get physical. Keep Gagne with Iginla and Sakic and tell them to skate their behinds off. Put Smyth with Draper (maybe Richards) and Doan and tell them to create energy for their team. Play the remaining three guys a little more sparingly, because they are not doing much right now. As for the PP, keep that first monster sized line together for the first unit and let them get physical with the other team. If they don't get it done, then put out the second speedy/finesse line when the first PK unit for the other team is tired.

NitroF

Feb 6, 2006
Nash said:
Every time I watch Team Canada play in international tournaments, I am always shocked at how poorly they support the puck compared to teams from Europe. Most of the European teams overload the side the puck is on and create an odd man advantage. It is probably one of the weakest aspects of the Canadian game. Canada needs to at least match the number of players the other team has pursuing the puck.

As for passion, the team needs to start finishing their checks and skating harder. Putting that jersey on your back means something! They have to start making their opponents worry about an oncoming hit when they are making decisions with the puck.

As for Quinn, how is the team supposed to gel when he can't decide who is playing with who? Put Bertuzzi with Nash and Thornton and tell them to get physical. Keep Gagne with Iginla and Sakic and tell them to skate their behinds off. Put Smyth with Draper (maybe Richards) and Doan and tell them to create energy for their team. Play the remaining three guys a little more sparingly, because they are not doing much right now. As for the PP, keep that first monster sized line together for the first unit and let them get physical with the other team. If they don't get it done, then put out the second speedy/finesse line when the first PK unit for the other team is tired.

I agree...
But effort is not the only issue, cohesion and team play should be the number one asset to work on.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
I think we get a bit arrogant at times. These teams have caught up to us. We need to wake up and give an effort, even if it's just a preliminary round. Our defense is injured, but our forwards just haven't been there for each other or for our D on the breakout and that leads to discouragement and lack of second and third effort.

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
We need someone to do anything.

Hell once my team was in a big *** lump and we were about to play the best team in the league one night, when a teamate brought in some mints, but he made his own label and called them "KICK *** PILLS!" we ended up wooping the other team that night.

if it mean Pronger has to sing "Canada **** YEAH!" in the dressing room before the game then so be it.

PapaBear*

I think its safe to say Team Canada misses Stevie Y and Niedermayer. If Stevie Y was there, he would be carrying this team. Niedermayer is the only dman we have that is able to skate through the trap. These two key players absences are soarly missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->