Injury Report: Clitsome Back Surgery

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Other tweets are saying it's for the year. Is it the same back injury as before?

Looks like the too many d problem just took care of itself.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
feel bad for the guy.
that could be his career.
it also means that he's been playing though a good amount of pain lately. wow.

Last edited:

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Clitsome was struggling this year, more than usual, so this would explain that.

Likely not in the future plans. 1 year left on deal.

Derfel*

two back operations in two years is not a good sign for his future career.

Yeah, he might end up in the AHL for some conditioning, but if this is for the rest of the season this might be the end of his career.

He has another year left on his contract at $2million mind you, so he can survive. :laugh:

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
@WFPEdTait: #NHLJets Paul Maurice: Grant Clitsome had back surgery this morning in LA and will be out indefinitely. Could be gone for season #bn

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
In his last game he took a hard hit in the numbers against the boards and I was wondering at the time if that might be the deciding blow for his back. Too bad for Grant.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think he can recover physically from the back surgery, but he'll have a lot to make up in terms of playing time and fitness. I think he could still be an NHL defenseman again, but hard to see how he could fit with the Jets given the development of Chiarot and the upcoming arrival of Morrissey into the pro ranks.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Too much unknown here. Was it a new injury, aggravating the previous injury, problem with the previous surgery? Many possibilities but none of them are good. Might explain his somewhat disappointing play this year, or not. Whatever, I hope he recovers well.

pegjets

Oh Canada
Apr 4, 2013
I think that's it for his NHL career. He's a guy that needs to play a physical styled game, and I don't think his body is cut out for it. He'll be 30 this year, not a great age to be recovering from a chronic back problem.

That said, he's made over 10 million dollars from 205 NHL / 169 AHL games in his career, so not too shabby to retire on. He'll be just fine. If he were to retire at the end of this season, he'd have earned an average of $33,689 per game.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Really sorry to hear this for Grant, seems like a great guy.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Yeah, really sorry for the guy.

Here's hoping he either can decide on his own that enough is enough, or that he can return to the NHL again, either with the Jets or some other franchise.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Grant can be a frustrating player because he has a really well rounded skill set but just lacks the confidence at this level.

Really feel bad for him, I hope he can recover fully.

Having said that it helps solve a problem for the Jets. I would imagine he'd be insured.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->