Laval Rocket: Cleveland Monsters at Laval Rocket 7:00 pm - (RDS/AHL.tv)

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Bad call on Bisson. I’m pretty sure the guy was already falling. How can Bisson hold up in that case?

My mistake. The guy saw him and turned his back. That shouldn’t be a penalty.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Mailloux and Roy get a lot more attention, but Dobes is having himself a great rookie pro season. The curve from game 1 to now is nothing short of impressive. He looked so lost early and now he's completely in charge. He'll never be textbook style wise but he gets the job done, MAF style. Good prospect all around.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Mailloux and Roy get a lot more attention, but Dobes is having himself a great rookie pro season. The curve from game 1 to now is nothing short of impressive. He looked so lost early and now he's completely in charge. He'll never be textbook style wise but he gets the job done, MAF style. Good prospect all around.

I assume he takes Primeau's place in a year.

Last edited:

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Maybe, there's no real rush though, Primeau can be a decent backup with the big team, they can afford to let Dobes develop for a while.
Yeah. They gave Primeau a lot of time in the AHL. I expect Dobes will follow a similar timeline. That's a good way to develop a goalie pipeline instead of just throwing out players as soon as they have their first struggles.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Dobes was one of their best players tonight, he looked solid for sure. I liked the Trudeau Mailloux pairing and I thought Barron even had a better game.

Davidson with 15 pts in the last 30 games continues to show he has some hands.

Kidney with points in just the 2nd of his last 21 games as much like Mysak it's easy to see how over matched physically he is and his lack of speed, skating and size. I thought Kidney and Davidson might be better off in 3R before the season started, looks like I was wrong on Davidson but not sure with Kidney has it clearly has been a struggle for him but we'll see what he does in the off-season.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Kidney needs to bulk up for sure. Seeing what is holding him back may be the best thing for him, so struggling in his first season as a pro may not be an issue. Anyone who watched him play in juniors knew he would have a tough time transitioning to pro. It is the next 2 years that will be telling in whether there is something there or not.

Mailloux looks enormous in those jerseys. Imposing presence for sure.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Kidney does lack that one separation tool. He's too skinny to win a lot of the puck battles, too slow to create space for himself, not enough of a shooter to be a factor from a distance. He's smart and creative with the puck but he doesnt get it much in the dangerous areas. He needs to have a real productive summer in the gym. Eat your proteins and lift those weighs kid.

Last edited:

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
And of course, every other team in the division managed to get points because they all went into OT. FFS!

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
I had posters last year in my top 20 trying to tell me he was our top forward prospect, so clearly not everyone that watched them knew that.
Right. I heavily question whether those posters actually watched him though.

We always see hyperbole from some posters, especially when the numbers look good. Lane may or may not be a symptom of that phenomenon. He is a tough nut to crack. Like Kidney, he has many reasons to doubt him, but what he is doing is so far above what anyone has done before in his league at his age that it gives more hope that he can be special enough to overcome.

Reactions: montreal

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Or give more than 1 pro year to a frail kid who scored like mad in the Q. Why would you even want him to be traded? You won't get anything good for him anyway.
The okayish time to trade him was before the season started when some teams might have been impressed with his CHL stats, especially the 2.25 ppg (and 1.70 in the playoffs) after his trade to Gatineau.

But now, Kidney's value is very low. He will have to get to another level in the AHL to recoup some value.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Highly doubtful. Primeau carried that Laval team in AHL playoffs when he was younger than Dobes. Dobes has a long way to go and there's no rush.
Dobes has been two years older than Primeau, both debuting in the NCAA and then arriving in the AHL. Dobes will be 23 in May. If he has another big and consistent growth year next year, he may challenge for an NHL spot in September 2025 age 24. But progression is not always linear so don't count on it.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Kidney does lack that one separation tool. He's too skinny to win a lot of the puck battles, too slow to create space for himself, not enough of a shooter to be a factor from a distance. He's smart and creative with the puck but he doesnt get it much in the dangerous areas. He needs to have a real productive summer in the gym. Eat your proteins and lift those weighs kid.
To be fair his best tool is his stick.
He will turn over pucks for his team in excellent areas as we saw last night but like many of our forwards he wilts when the walls close in.
Good in space but can't make his own. I remember the shot of the lads entering the dressing room at Laval's camp. When Kidney walked by you could have sworn he was either a hanger on or a stick boy. I'm really not sure what can be done with that frame because he must have tried some stuff playing elite hockey. It's impossible his coaches over the years haven't brought it up.

Reactions: montreal

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Kidney needs to bulk up for sure. Seeing what is holding him back may be the best thing for him, so struggling in his first season as a pro may not be an issue. Anyone who watched him play in juniors knew he would have a tough time transitioning to pro. It is the next 2 years that will be telling in whether there is something there or not.

Mailloux looks enormous in those jerseys. Imposing presence for sure.
Well said.

It's all about projections. And getting it right. Some players look like they're going to be successful when facing faster, stronger and more skilled at the higher level. Others, less so. I am probably in a minority of one, when questioning whether Parekh, despite his unworldly offensive production in the OHL this year, has a game that will translate well in the NHL. Some pundits, on the other hand, have Parekh 3OA on their boards.

It's all about projections. And getting it right. Some teams just do it better than others.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $8,851.00