Cleveland Indians to become the Guardians

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
I think they should do it, solely because they have to change their logo anyway... With Chief Wahoo having been sunset, that block C placeholder logo that is boring, uninspired and doesn't move merchandise.

I used to think they could make a non-offensive logo: Like a C that's wearing an authentic looking headdress. But you might as well go all-in on a total rebrand. Might as well change the colors and not look like the Braves and Twins.

12 teams (40% of baseball!) is Red & Blue (not counting the Yankees). Only two teams: A's and Padres (now) don't have red OR blue. Cleveland should be the third.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They’re not going to announce this unless they’re going to end up doing it.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
You have no idea what you are talking about.

You know, you’re right! Why would a Native American know anything about what they find offensive? We’re just a bunch of drunks that don’t know anything. Thank you for showing me that you’re in tune with my culture more than I am.

Spikey

Feb 12, 2020
I think they should do it, solely because they have to change their logo anyway... With Chief Wahoo having been sunset, that block C placeholder logo that is boring, uninspired and doesn't move merchandise.

I used to think they could make a non-offensive logo: Like a C that's wearing an authentic looking headdress. But you might as well go all-in on a total rebrand. Might as well change the colors and not look like the Braves and Twins.

12 teams (40% of baseball!) is Red & Blue (not counting the Yankees). Only two teams: A's and Padres (now) don't have red OR blue. Cleveland should be the third.

They should go Orange,Black and White like the Flyers.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
My stance on this was formed largely by having a roommate in college that was a member of the Blackfeet Nation: he and the vast majority of Native students I talked to were deeply offended by the names and iconography. To me the number of people being legitimately offended doesn't need to be high to be valid. I've heard both sides within that community and I just don't see the name as being so important as to be worth the fight. It's not as if just about every team as old as Cleveland didn't go through a half dozen names before settling on one anyway.

Chief Wahoo was absolutely ridiculous and their branding is painfully boring without a meaningful replacement. If I were a Cleveland fan I'd want a name change just to get a logo more interesting than a block C. The team I 'root' for just has a 'P' for a logo...but at least that P looks amazing on a hat. Cleveland doesn't even have a nice hat. They just have generic-ass branding sans Wahoo...and I doubt that wasn't at least partially intentional.

I've been renaming them the Spiders in my OOTP games for a decade now. I know that was a different franchise and all, but...eh...they didn't survive into the 20th century; I can't imagine there'd be any meaningful roadblocks preventing that from happening. Safe to say they won't go back to being the Cleveland Naps...though part of me would absolutely love the goofiness of naming a team after a player who hasn't played in more than a century.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
You know, you’re right! Why would a Native American know anything about what they find offensive? We’re just a bunch of drunks that don’t know anything. Thank you for showing me that you’re in tune with my culture more than I am.
do you speak for the majority of native americans?

Reactions: William H Bonney

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
IIRC there some people in the world who use Yankee as a derogatory term against Americans. :dunno:

Maybe time to change their name too?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad