Confirmed with Link: Clendening signs 2-year extension

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I'm happy with this move. He filled in well for us, and assuming we clear away some of the depth we have on D, we will need Clendening to be ready.

Reactions: majormajor

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Jones
Werenski
Murray
Savard
Nutivaara
Harrington

Kukan
Gavrikov
Clendening
Peeke

List is more in tiers than individual ranking, but this is top 10, unless I'm missing someone (Carlsson?). Possible one of the guys in italics gets moved (could you stand to lose Harry in addition to Murray or Nuti?). So yes, my point is that I agree with CBJW above, this is a good move and I'm OK with AC bumping up a slot.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
One way deal in 20-21 says one of two different things to me;

1. Somebody is getting traded off the defense before October 2020. It could even be Clendenning (most likely).
2. Gavrikov or Peeke are not going to pan out (least likely).

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
One way deal in 20-21 says one of two different things to me;

1. Somebody is getting traded off the defense before October 2020. It could even be Clendenning (most likely).
2. Gavrikov or Peeke are not going to pan out (least likely).

Could also simply be a little trick to try to prevent a team from claiming him off waivers: if you claim him, you’re paying him an NHL salary no matter what, even if you try to send him down later.

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Could also simply be a little trick to try to prevent a team from claiming him off waivers: if you claim him, you’re paying him an NHL salary no matter what, even if you try to send him down later.

That and Clendening has been bouncing around North America for years looking for an NHL job / payday. He's not going to stay if he's buried in the minors in Ohio. The NHL pay gives him the extra incentive to stay. It's important to the Jackets because he's a solid depth RHD. It keeps him in the fold through 2021. Savard's contract is up then and for all we know he could be moved before that, and he might not be the only D-man to go.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Seems like a solid signing. If he would clear waivers, then his contract could be "buried" and not count against the cap.

Perfect organizational depth resume. And a known quantity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->