Clemson suing ACC over $140m early exit fee

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
The ACC is going to get poached pretty hardcore when push comes to shove, and it's going to happen sooner rather than later if Clemson and FSU are able to get the early exit punishments significantly reduced.

The liklely end result will be the Big Ten and SEC picking the primo programs while the rest likely get absorbed by the Big Twelve, albeit with potentially interesting caveats allowed for SEC schools like Florida and South Carolina not wanting in-state add-ons and the Big Ten still pretending to have an active interest in academic standards first and foremost.

Edit: my long-standing take is that the Big Ten wants are the following:

Definitely - Virginia, UNC, and Georgia Tech
Probably - Syracuse and Boston College
Maybe - Clemson and Florida State

And all would represent major expansions of the BTN's market footprint, too.

Last edited:

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
The ACC is going to get poached pretty hardcore when push comes to shove, and it's going to happen sooner rather than later if Clemson and FSU are able to get the early exit punishments significantly reduced.

The liklely end result will be the Big Ten and SEC picking the primo programs while the rest likely get absorbed by the Big Twelve, albeit with potentially interesting caveats allowed for SEC schools like Florida and South Carolina not wanting in-state add-ons and the Big Ten still pretending to have an active interest in academic standards first and foremost.

It'll be the end of the ACC as anything resembling a top football conference but I doubt it'll kill the confrerence overall. Their bread and butter is by far basketball with Duke, UNC, NC State, Wake, Pitt, Louisville, Syracuse, Virginia.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
It'll be the end of the ACC as anything resembling a top football conference but I doubt it'll kill the confrerence overall. Their bread and butter is by far basketball with Duke, UNC, NC State, Wake, Pitt, Louisville, Syracuse, Virginia.

Very possibly, though my hunch is that UNC, Virginia, and maybe Syracuse would be Big Ten targets while NC State (and Virginia Tech) would be SEC targets, so that'd be a major knee-capping of the conference, especially as football is the primary revenue generator.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Yeah, the ACC is finished as we know it, just a matter of time.

The question is really how many schools to the B1G and SEC poach.

FSU, Clemson for football.
UNC for its all-around flagship brand.
Maybe UVA for academic prestige and history?

I have a hard time seeing any others go anytime soon as targets. No, sorry, I love Hokies football but I just don’t see them as a huge target for the SEC. Same with NC State. The Hurricanes? If the B1G grabs FSU, they are redundant. And if the SEC grabs FSU, Miami will not be enough for the B1G to be serious about Florida.

Everyone will start constructing their pie in the sky scenarios where Louisville and Syracuse and the like seem to “matter” - but they don’t.

The B1G and SEC will grab the very top schools and only the very top schools because they aren’t looking for mouths to feed…and then we will have our two division format…the big dogs with more seats and then a few seats for the remaining Big 12/ACC level…which will still be great fun and still have some access to the playoffs but will be clearly second class.

I mean, we are already there, it’s just that the prestige ACC schools (FSU, Clemson, UNC and imo UVA) are gonna get life preservers to the top level like USC, UCLA, UO and UW.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
More greed in college football… how shocking
Had expected to see the power 5 become the power 4 with likely the Big12 out due to losing TX and OK.

Never expected to see the Pac12 go down first.

Figured, it would at least be a Pac12/Big12/Big10 forming an East West conference if they got to going down to 2 monster conferences. With SEC and ACC the other one.

If 64 programs was too many, figure it would get down to 48, with 24 each and 12 per side of the big athletic program players only.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Interesting thing with this whole ACC fiasco is while FSU and Clemson are making the loudest noise, I suspect the school both the B1G and SEC want to nab the most is UNC.

UNC fits the B1G's top tier academics + new market goals.

North Carolina is a new market for the SEC, while they already have schools in both South Carolina and Florida.

Reactions: BKarchitect

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
It makes little sense that ESPN is fighting these lawsuits and will then turn around and pay more money for Florida State and Clemson in the SEC. However, it also makes more sense for the B1G to go after North Carolina instead of Clemson. Or would they really go to 22 or 24? It’s already curious enough that the B1G has aimed for an evenhanded scheduling arrangement such that everyone plays everyone at least once in a 2 to 3 year span.

So if someone’s working the back door with Clemson, I can scarcely imagine what they’re thinking. Or is someone using Clemson as a proxy?

Eh, stick a fork in all of this.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Yeah, UNC is the ACC's crown jewel and assuredly what both the SEC and Big Ten want. However, the Big Ten is probably also more interested in a general regional expansion into the Southeast than the SEC is. The SEC is already established in Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina, so I'm not seeing them being interested in FSU, Georgia Tech, or Clemson like I think that the Big Ten would be, especially for Georgia Tech. And if the Big Ten is more open to picking up a bunch of ACC teams at once, maybe that'd make switching conferences for UNC and Virginia a softer landing for them?

Regardless though, my expectation is that UNC and UVA are where the Big Ten and SEC will really come to blows. Everything else would be either double dipping for the SEC (or well outside their area of interest, like BC), second-place options, or Big 12-bound.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
It makes little sense that ESPN is fighting these lawsuits and will then turn around and pay more money for Florida State and Clemson in the SEC. However, it also makes more sense for the B1G to go after North Carolina instead of Clemson. Or would they really go to 22 or 24? It’s already curious enough that the B1G has aimed for an evenhanded scheduling arrangement such that everyone plays everyone at least once in a 2 to 3 year span.

So if someone’s working the back door with Clemson, I can scarcely imagine what they’re thinking. Or is someone using Clemson as a proxy?

Eh, stick a fork in all of this.

What lawsuit is ESPN involved in?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
It’s my understanding that they’ve come out in support of the ACC against the Florida State lawsuit and, by extension, this one.

I read through the ESPN legal filing and it doesn't appear they've taken a position for either side in the Grant of Rights (GOR) dispute.

The only thing I see from ESPN is requesting their broadcast contract with the ACC remains sealed by the court, and thus not available to the public. The ACC is requesting the contract remain sealed, while FSU is requested it be open in the court filings. So in that sense ESPN is supporting the ACC to keep the contract sealed. But ESPN didn't comment on any other claim by the ACC such as the validity of the GOR or conference exit fees--they simply acknowledge this is a dispute between FSU and the ACC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad