Cleaning Hockey Gear

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
I have actually used the dishwasher for my son's gear in the past and it has worked fine. However the best tool I have is dryer sheets tucked into his bag which helps keep the smell down.

One poster mentioned cats and ammonia. Cat's are attracted to stinky hockey bags and will use them as a litter box. I have thrown more than a few bags away because of this. My son's bag never comes in the house anymore.

For those of you with cats, misting the bag down with white vinegar once a week while "in season" will deter the cats. Once dry you wont notice a smell but the cats will and they will stay away.

When using a washing machine be sure that none of your gear is touching the rim of the washer. When in spin cycle anything that rubs on that non-moving edge will get worn through VERY FAST. Front loaders are much more gentle on your gear.

handbanana

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Mar 18, 2008
I wouldn't use Oxyclean on gloves. It's harsh stuff. If it's not rinsed out well you may have an issue with it burning your skin (dip your hand in Oxy water to try it out, it burns like a mutha). And I'm sure it's not leather-safe since it actually etched my countertop. I set a little bucket of Oxy diluted in water on the granite counter, and like 30 mins later when I lifted it up there was an etching of the bottom of the bucket (where some of the water had run down the sides). It's still there... the stuff actually ate away stone.

southendsniper

Jul 7, 2008
Ottawa
I washed all my gear (minus skates and helmet) in a bath tub full of water and regular laundry detergent.

It was actually diguisting how brown the water turned afterwards. The worst part was that I played one game afterwards and it smelled as bad as ever.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
Febreze doesnt kill the bacteria causing the stink though.

The sun does. Lay out your gear on the lawn when its sunny and you should be good to go. Eventually it is always going to stink up again, but hey...I kinda like that nasty hockey funk so as long as I air my stuff out once in a while I am good with it.

nullterm

Dec 8, 2007
Port Moody, BC
I always lay the gear out when I get home so it gets a chance to dry. Ideally out on the patio in the sun. Though if it's damp or cold then it gets laid out in the storage locker down in my building's basement. Luckily it's dry down there.

I used to Febreeze it, but started getting tired of the smell. Now I just make sure everything dries out properly after every session. Unless the gear needs to be in the apartment and I'm feeling merciful towards the gf.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
So many suggestions do not much more than mask the smell. That smell is your gear being eaten by critters. the risks of infection and skin problems is drastically increased. Its just plain unhealth. That stinky ass jersey has been in contact with how many others(youth hockey) others on the ice. MERSA and a host of other nasty critters..... 1 cup rubbing alcohol/3 cups water....misting spray bottle.

after each use the gear is held up and misted completely, in and out. let dry....no smelly gear. Its that simple. If the gear is bad already, mist daily and let dry until the oder is gone.

night-timer

Apr 26, 2006
Sydney, Australia
A suggestion like no other... and note that this is also the most effective method for cleaning foot odor from sports/running shoes:

Use Dettol, the wound disinfectant.

This is extrememly effective, as it kills both the germs and the odor.

When mixed with water (ie, you have to dilute Dettol) it turns a cloudy white color. Soak the gear in it. Let it sit in there for a good while if you're really concerned about the smell.

I don't know if Dettol is good on gloves or jerseys (mine don't reek), but for pads there seems to be no problem.

Kills the smell? You'll smell like a hospital, buit it is extremely efficient. I wouldn't do it any other way - those perfumed sprays only superficially mask the problem - they're a waste of time.

BrianNYR

Dec 11, 2007
You can put everything in the washing machine on cold and gentle except the obvious stuff like skates and helmet.
I wash my shin pads all the time. they make lots of thud noises but it works fine.
i DO NOT use the dryer for anything except jerseys and socks.
Im on the ice at least 5 times a week and have been using the same shin, and elbow, and shoulder pads going on at lease 5 season a piece, so your stuff wont fall apart. hockey equip is made pretty tough.

bonnielad

Nov 20, 2009
Straight alcohol from a spray bottle after the gear dries. For serious stench like our gloves, it may take a few sessions of spray and let dry. The nice part of using straight alcohol is it dries quicker than a water and alcohol mix.

No damage to gloves or gear yet.

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
So far for me taking out the wet gear when i get home and wahsing what i can wash in the washing machine and letting the rest air dry with a fan on in the room has worked great.

I spray some stuff with rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle too like elbow pads and stuff.

I also must add that my gloves do not stink so it must be working with the air dry right after playing thing.

I liked the fabric softener sheets in the gloves idea in this thread. If I notice a truly bad odor I will try that out.

vivianmb

Jan 10, 2007
winnipeg
www.whocares.ca
get a DE-humidifier, and hang all of your gear near it. everything(except maybe the skates/gloves) will be DRY in about an hour. after every skate i do this and have been for almost 35 years.the underclothes such as jock, t-shirt, socks(if you wear 'em , i don't) throw them in the wash .it is that simple.

Elshupacabra

Aug 10, 2008
the dock of the bay
Lysol Lysol Lysol.

I just give everything including the insides of skates and gloves and the inside of my bag a quick once over right after I get back from the rink and let the gear dry out. Works like a charm, NO smell.

Last edited:

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX
Youtube, FTW:

www.arxodos.com

Oh yes, and this does wonders too:
Sport_rak.jpg

Dries your equipment super fast!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad