Cleaning Hockey Gear

HML

Sep 7, 2007
New York, baby
I picked up something called No BO at my local hockey shop. Expensive at about $9 a bottle but I just spray my gear after a game and hang evrything up on a hockey tree. Works even on gloves.

newfish

Sep 8, 2007
Jersey
www.myspace.com
I try to air it out and use faebreeze. It works alittle but once the game is on, the nice clean smell is gone. And now I cant air it out because I live in Apartment complex, that I would consider not a safe place to leave ****!! But then again, the person stealing it would need a airproof suit just to steal it!:biglaugh:

FiveThreeEmptyNet

Sep 3, 2007
Florida
Gracias

Febreze actually works pretty well.

I've washed shoulder pads and elbow pads in the wash on gentle, it didn't hurt them.

Like mentioned before, gloves! Mine are rank, I'd like to hear of anything that works for them.

Thanks! I was going to start a thread today asking if I could wash my elbow pads. It doesn't LOOK like anything will harm them. Glad to hear you've done so with no problem.

brymel

Feb 9, 2007
Has anyone ever tried using their dishwasher?
I have actually used the dishwasher for my son's gear in the past and it has worked fine. However the best tool I have is dryer sheets tucked into his bag which helps keep the smell down.

One poster mentioned cats and ammonia. Cat's are attracted to stinky hockey bags and will use them as a litter box. I have thrown more than a few bags away because of this. My son's bag never comes in the house anymore.

CLF4life

Bourque ** Lidstrom
May 7, 2004
Niagara Falls.Ont
My gloves are discusting! I even have a hard time with the stench at times.
My wife came up with a pretty good system for masking this stink.

1. 10% pinesol, 10% rubbing alcahol 80% water in a spray bottle, spay liberaly then let air dry. When dry add fabric sofener sheets.

nyrmetros

May 3, 2007
My gloves are discusting! I even have a hard time with the stench at times.
My wife came up with a pretty good system for masking this stink.

1. 10% pinesol, 10% rubbing alcahol 80% water in a spray bottle, spay liberaly then let air dry. When dry add fabric sofener sheets.

I may give this a shot. nothign else seems to have worked! my equipment stinks!

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
Anyone ever try dipping their stuff in a water bucket with oxyclean?

It makes my shoulder and elbow pads look and smell brand new. I've always wanted to try it on my gloves but am afraid it might hurt the leather.

brymel

Feb 9, 2007
Give it a shot. I have ridden many horse through many a pond in my leather saddle, which is my most priced possesion. It is fine. Just dry them off well.

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
I just dunked my stuff in the tub with laundry detergent a couple days ago like I usually do. I did the gloves this time too cause I couldn't take it anymore, they took forever to dry and the leather got dried up too. But I used some baseball glove conditioner on it and was ok again.

lotus

Jul 22, 2006
New York
haha the smell of my gloves actually kills the Febreze smell within a few seconds of spraying it. I swear Easton gloves hold smell better than any other brand. My mother found them the other day and offered to buy me a new pair of gloves if I promise to throw those out =D

thrill_me_mogilny

May 23, 2003
I mentioned this to a friend of mine who is a professional costumer, asking how they keep stuff from stinking since it can't be washed in between every performance. Her answer: vodka. Fill a spray bottle with a 50/50 solution of water and vodka and spray away.

The booze smell disappears along with the gym bag smell.

lotus

Jul 22, 2006
New York
I mentioned this to a friend of mine who is a professional costumer, asking how they keep stuff from stinking since it can't be washed in between every performance. Her answer: vodka. Fill a spray bottle with a 50/50 solution of water and vodka and spray away.

The booze smell disappears along with the gym bag smell.

haha what kinda Vodka are we talkin? >.<

thrill_me_mogilny

May 23, 2003
The stuff that is cheapest and tastes like rubbing alcohol - easily found at liquor stores near colleges and universities!

DANCIN'WITHJANSSEN

Mar 18, 2007
Quick Warning::: I played with someone last night that got chemical burns from washinng his equipment and not letting it rinse thoroughly enough...I've never heard of this, but he still had some marks last night and this took place over 10 days ago. He claims he just used regular detergent, so always be careful...

Senor Rational

Feb 11, 2004
St. Louis
Gloves

Gloves were a little different. Instead of detergent I mixed some Murphy's Oil Soap into the water -- I read on a website that it's a better choice for keeping the leather from drying out. I hung everything up to drip dry and like MikeD says it took a few days, but since I was only playing once a week it I had plenty of time.

Pretty much just did the exact same thing and it worked real well.

I put my gloves in the basement sink with hot water, 1/3 cup of Murphy's oil soap, a little bit of laundry detergent and fabric softener.

I let them sit in water for an hour.I had to refreshen the water four times. I was tempted to put some bleach in there but I was afraid the bleach would dry out the leather. I then put them in the wash.

I washed them on a warm gentle cycle. After they came out of the wash I hung them out to dry...took three days for them to dry, and they still stank. I sprayed a bit of ozium in them and put two laundry sheets in them. They smelt pretty good! :handclap:

Next test is how long can I keep them smelling good, I play to spray a little ozium, put some laundry sheets in then, and then let them sit out. Ill post further updates on my findings!

nullterm

Dec 8, 2007
Port Moody, BC
Just soaked my elbow pads in the sink filled with water and 2X Ultra Tide. The water ended up a very nice brownish colour and I could barely see the drain. :shakehead

I used a pair of dumbbells to keep the pads submerged, they had a tendency to just float on the surface. Then a rinse using the shower.

They're now drying in the tub. But already look a heck of alot cleaner.

Now for all my other gear.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->