Clayton Keller

Status
Not open for further replies.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Schmaltz - Dvorak - Keller

I don't think Tocchet's system works very well with lines that have 2 out of 3 players on them as a - defensively. I think he'll do a +, an average, and a -. The lines will end up all jumbled again.

If Keller plays like he did last season where his offense is great enough that his defensive deficiencies don't matter then maybe it works out better.

The problem I always run into theory crafting Coyotes lines is we essentially have 3/4ths of our theoretical top 6 wingers (If Schmaltz is at wing) are not just a minus in terms of two way play but outright bad. I don't think that fits what Tocchet is trying to do.

It also really narrows down the potential targets as they have to fit a very specific box. They need to bring in an impact forward with a 2 way game who is shoot first. That's like 3 people on the UFA list and out of that list how many will deal with AZ for our budget? :dunno:

Reactions: _Del_

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Pretty much think Schmaltz and Keller are a pair going forward.

In that case...

Schmaltz - Stepan - Keller

Crouse - Dvorak - Hinostroza

Grabner - Richardson- Fischer (if he ever gets his $&)@ together)

then
(Any three out of the Sticky Boi Collection)

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Pretty much think Schmaltz and Keller are a pair going forward.

In that case...

Schmaltz - Stepan - Keller

Crouse - Dvorak - Hinostroza

Grabner - Richardson- Fischer (if he ever gets his $&)@ together)

then
(Any three out of the Sticky Boi Collection)
No Galchenyuk?

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Keller and Schmaltz need to be separated 5v5.

I'm sort of disgusted with Fischer, but we'd be stupid to give up on another young player struggling. He's not expensive in the scheme of things. Too many tools and not enough talent to replace him with. If we were stacked with talent, then sure: good luck, kid. I was was early on the shop him train, though.

I'm sure Chayka shopped him at the deadline. I don't care what he says otherwise. He was way overdue for a scratch, but they waited until the week of the deadline to do it? Vultures are already circling hoping for the next Strome/Domi breakout, but I don't think they'll let him walk without a QO.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Keller's 5 on 5 goals are exactly the same as last season (13). The deficit is mostly on the powerplay (6 vs 1).

He looked better last night IMO. I think he'll bounce back next season, and hopefully, be surrounded by better talent. He looked good with Schmaltz the short time they played together.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Keller needs to work on his quickness in the off season, also needs to improve his shot. Kane has a terrific wrister and Keller needs to get to that level. (shot not ability)

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Keller and Schmaltz need to be separated 5v5.

I'm sort of disgusted with Fischer, but we'd be stupid to give up on another young player struggling. He's not expensive in the scheme of things. Too many tools and not enough talent to replace him with. If we were stacked with talent, then sure: good luck, kid. I was was early on the shop him train, though.

I'm sure Chayka shopped him at the deadline. I don't care what he says otherwise. He was way overdue for a scratch, but they waited until the week of the deadline to do it? Vultures are already circling hoping for the next Strome/Domi breakout, but I don't think they'll let him walk without a QO.
I agree Keller and Schmaltz is fine on the power play but these two boys are too weak to play together 5 on 5.

And Fisher is not a Domi/strome type player. No where near the skill level. But he's a grinder with some skill which is very valuble on a squad. I wonder what the hell happened to him this year.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Keller needs to work on his quickness in the off season, also needs to improve his shot. Kane has a terrific wrister and Keller needs to get to that level. (shot not ability)
Keller needs to work on his "quickness".

Are you joking?

He needs to hit the weight room.

Reactions: Lilhoody

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
I agree Keller and Schmaltz is fine on the power play but these two boys are too weak to play together 5 on 5.

And Fisher is not a Domi/strome type player. No where near the skill level. But he's a grinder with some skill which is very valuble on a squad. I wonder what the hell happened to him this year.

I would bet Fischer gets traded in the near future

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
We're going to do it, regardless. So just brace yourself now.

And he's nowhere close to Domi/Strome, but could still be a 20-20-40 guy with size. And we sell cheap on guys we clearly have soured on. So I'm sure he'll get some interest from teams looking for him to break out.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Keller needs to work on his "quickness".

Are you joking?

He needs to hit the weight room.
What for? He needs quickness, both in his skating and shot. He's 5' ft. nothing 170 lbs. soaking wet. He will never out muscle the bigger players along the boards etc. I guess it wouldn't hurt for him to gain a bit of muscle, but I would rather see him get much faster.

Reactions: Mosby

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
What for? He needs quickness, both in his skating and shot. He's 5' ft. nothing 170 lbs. soaking wet. He will never out muscle the bigger players along the boards etc. I guess it wouldn't hurt for him to gain a bit of muscle, but I would rather see him get much faster.
He is very FAST. He is very quick.

With strength he will be able to play in tighter areas better instead of ending up on his ass or refusing to enter the fray. A stronger body will give him some confidence. This isnt beer leagues.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He is very FAST. He is very quick.

With strength he will be able to play in tighter areas better instead of ending up on his ass or refusing to enter the fray. A stronger body will give him some confidence. This isnt beer leagues.
I agree more strength will help, but I don't think he is that fast for his size. Remember the all star game.:)

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I agree more strength will help, but I don't think he is that fast for his size. Remember the all star game.:)
He's one of the fastest guys on the ice. I dont care about the all star game. What does your eyes tell you?

He's just weak as a kitten. It will never be his strength but he can vastly improve in this area and it will help him.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
He's one of the fastest guys on the ice. I dont care about the all star game. What does your eyes tell you?

He's just weak as a kitten. It will never be his strength but he can vastly improve in this area and it will help him.

He should move in with (or shadow) Grabner for a while this off season

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad