Clayton Keller

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Is it just me or did this guy have the quietest 65 point rookie season in recent memory.

I heard a lot about Barzal, Boeser, Sergachev, Debrincat, Hischier, and Dubois, but I barely have seen anything mentioned about Keller.

65 points. Granted I only watched the games Phoenix played against Edmonton, and don't recall him standing out.

Whats's his game like? Does he still have a lot of untapped potential? Who were his linemates?

Lets hear about the unknown 65 point man.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Barzal Boeser snd McAvoy were just so insane. Keller was getting a lot of attention in the beginning of the year because he came out hot but The other 3 just took off. Keller had a heck of a season. This was an excellent rookie class

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Barzal Boeser snd McAvoy were just so insane. Keller was getting a lot of attention in the beginning of the year because he came out hot but The other 3 just took off. Keller had a heck of a season. This was an excellent rookie class
How much was it a factor that he also did this playing for the Coyotes?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Is it just me or did this guy have the quietest 65 point rookie season in recent memory.

I heard a lot about Barzal, Boeser, Sergachev, Debrincat, Hischier, and Dubois, but I barely have seen anything mentioned about Keller.

65 points. Granted I only watched the games Phoenix played against Edmonton, and don't recall him standing out.

Whats's his game like? Does he still have a lot of untapped potential? Who were his linemates?

Lets hear about the unknown 65 point man.

He had a lot of predraft talk from me. If you look at his prospects thread, a full year before he was drafted I cited him as reminding me of Kane more than any other young player that drew this comparison. Started well, and cooled down or perhaps his numbers normalized. Whereas Barzal's numbers just continued to improve as the season went on. He was just overshadowed by Barzal, and Boeser until he was hurt. Doesn't mean he is not a talented player.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
You’re talking less exposure/media attention or for a weaker team?
Is it not true that players who play for teams on the west coast don't get the same recognition or media exposure? I have read that about Anze Kopitar who is at least a top 10 centre and some people have said he doesn't get enough attention playing in Los Angeles, despite winning 2 Stanley Cups. So in the case of Keller I guess it's a little of both.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It's that prepubescent mustache he was rocking that really threw him under the radar. People saw his picture when looking at stats and just thought it was one of those charity added players like EA NHL does.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Is it not true that players who play for teams on the west coast don't get the same recognition or media exposure? I have read that about Anze Kopitar who is at least a top 10 centre and some people have said he doesn't get enough attention playing in Los Angeles, despite winning 2 Stanley Cups. So in the case of Keller I guess it's a little of both.

I guess but Boeser plays for the team probably furthest west in the league and he was right there with Barzal most of the year.

Keller just wasn’t on Par with Barzal and Boeser for the majority of the year. Those 2 were literally going neck and neck every night in the rookie points race.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
How much was it a factor that he also did this playing for the Coyotes?

I'd say this is the largest factor for lack of recognition on HFboards.

If he played for a Canadian team there would have been a thread per week on the main boards about him. :laugh:

I've literally heard nothing about him. And it's not just because Boeser and Barzal were more productive. Lots of less productive rookies got talked about much more often.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I guess but Boeser plays for the team probably furthest west in the league and he was right there with Barzal most of the year.

Keller just wasn’t on Par with Barzal and Boeser for the majority of the year. Those 2 were literally going neck and neck every night in the rookie points race.
That's true but you need to factor in the Canucks still play in Canada with the media exposure and a lot of games on Hockey Night In Canada.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
That's true but you need to factor in the Canucks still play in Canada with the media exposure and a lot of games on Hockey Night In Canada.

That’s fair and probably true. But let’s say Keller was in the Rangers or Bruins and had the same season. It’s still not the seasons that Barzal and Boeser had. I think the entire rookie class has gotten their due. Everyone says how great this years rookie crop was.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
That’s fair and probably true. But let’s say Keller was in the Rangers or Bruins and had the same season. It’s still not the seasons that Barzal and Boeser had. I think the entire rookie class has gotten their due. Everyone says how great this years rookie crop was.
I don't know how much stock you put in this but Boeser was also named MVP of the All Star Game. So let's say Keller played in it and he got named MVP, would that have done anything else to hype him up even more?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I don't know how much stock you put in this but Boeser was also named MVP of the All Star Game. So let's say Keller played in it and he got named MVP, would that have done anything else to hype him up even more?

Personally I don’t really put much stock into that but as far as exposure I’m sure it wouldn’t have hurt Keller but I don’t think the all star game accolades are taking into account when voters vote on the Calder finalist.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Personally I don’t really put much stock into that but as far as exposure I’m sure it wouldn’t have hurt Keller but I don’t think the all star game accolades are taking into account when voters vote on the Calder finalist.
I was not saying Boeser winning All Star Game MVP is why he's a Calder finalist. I think it exposed him a lot more to those living in the United States since he plays in Vancouver, so I think Keller could have got the same recognition.

Reactions: SI90

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
But let’s say Keller was in the Rangers or Bruins and had the same season. It’s still not the seasons that Barzal and Boeser had.

If Keller was on the Bruins or Rangers he almost certainly would have put up better numbers than he already did. He spent the first three months feeding prime chances to Domi and Stepan who were shooting 3 and 7% in 2017. It wasn't until February he had a team around him that wasn't completely dreck.

I don't know if Keller matches their totals on another team. I do know he's closer to those guys than most people think.
If Keller had a bad night the Coyotes offense died. Barzal and Boeser had help.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
If Keller was on the Bruins or Rangers he almost certainly would have put up better numbers than he already did. He spent the first three months feeding prime chances to Domi and Stepan who were shooting 3 and 7% in 2017. It wasn't until February he had a team around him that wasn't completely dreck.

I don't know if Keller matches their totals on another team. I do know he's closer to those guys than most people think.
If Keller had a bad night the Coyotes offense died. Barzal and Boeser had help.

Boeser had help with Horvat but even when Horvat was injured Boeser still produced.
Barzal has a terrific offensive core on the isles but he was producing the whole year with the exception of the first 5 games no matter who he was playing with.

Points aren’t an indication and the be all end all so I will agree with you that Keller isn’t too far of from Barzal and Boeser.

All 3 were on non playoff teams though so all 3 teams had/has their warts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad