• Mitch Marner

Votes: 107 42.0%
  • Nico Hischier

Votes: 92 36.1%

• Total voters

Arizonan God

Jan 30, 2010
Toronto
I truly think Keller can be as good or even better than Marner.

But Marner has proven much more at the pro level.

For me, it’s:
1. Marner
2. Keller
3. Hischier

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Marner
Keller
Hischier

Pretty clear Marner is on another level. It's between Keller and Nico for 2nd place.
Dont agree at all, Hischier has been better than Marner at 17 and now 18 years of age, he is faster and better both ways from what I have seen. He will be an elite two way player while Marner and Keller will be scoring dynamos they dont bring the complete game Hischier does.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
huh?

Marner is the only 18 year old player in the history of the CHL to win CHL Player of the Year, Memorial Cup MVP and his respective leagues playoff MVP. The only other person to do this was a 19 year old Brad Richards. Corey Perry won OHL MVP, OHL Playoff MVP, and Memorial Cup MVP but he was 19, and didn't win CHL player of the year. Marner is the only player outside of Tavares in recent memory to have consecutive 2ppg seasons in the OHL, although guys like McDavid, Kane, Gagner, and Joe Thornton could have done it but graduated (Tavares had a chance do it 3 times in a row but failed to in his draft year), Spezza and Savard failed to. He's one of 6 players to put up 2ppg as a 17 year old in the past 25 years alongside McDavid, Sam Gagner, Joe Thornton, John Tavares, Jason Spezza, and Marc Savard. Marner's 17 year old season is notably better than Keller's, was viewed at as a better prospect at the same draft age, and Marner's 18 year old season was equal or better than Keller's and that's only if you heavily weight a 7 game tournament and not their respective league play.

I don't know how you can say Keller is more accomplished at the same age. If he was, he would have won the Hobey Baker last year.

Smaller sample size but at the same age Keller was MUCH better than Marner at the WJC. Perhaps thats why the poster said that? WJC is the best competition they face at that age group so I do think there is merit to put alot of weight into that performance.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I mean you have to be either a Devils fan, an Arizona fan or just anti Leaf because Marner is the only one with a proven track record so given that he is the only one with a proven track record there really is no reason to vote for anyone but Marner unless you are a devils or Arizona fan

Coming from the homersitic leaf fan. If you have watched the devils at all this season you see the talent that Hischier brings to the party. He is incredibly fast and skilled, can play in all situations point on the pp, penalty kill, winning crucial faceoffs. He is the entire package.

The irony of leaf fans coming in and saying you have to go with the proven player after last offseason where you all argued the exact opposite is too ironic.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Dont agree at all, Hischier has been better than Marner at 17 and now 18 years of age, he is faster and better both ways from what I have seen. He will be an elite two way player while Marner and Keller will be scoring dynamos they dont bring the complete game Hischier does.

Well that is a load of crap. Hischier has not come close to being as good a CHL player that Marner was. Not even close.

Elite two way player are just buzzwords. Hischier doesn't look NHL ready at the moment but Jersey likely don't have any other options and it would be embarrassing having to send a first overall pick back so they keep him up for now.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Well that is a load of crap. Hischier has not come close to being as good a CHL player that Marner was. Not even close.

Elite two way player are just buzzwords. Hischier doesn't look NHL ready at the moment but Jersey likely don't have any other options and it would be embarrassing having to send a first overall pick back so they keep him up for now.

So much hyperbole in this ridiculous post I dont know where to start. Hiescher was debatably the best forward at the WJC last year as a 17 year old. Put him on that loaded London team and lets see what his production looked like. You're right though Hischier isnt as good a CHL player because he is playing in the NHL as an 18 year old.

Elite Two way forward is not a buzzword what a garbage comment. the ability to identify a player that has good defensive awareness, the ability to play on the PK with a great stick is obviously a skill you dont have.

If you dont think he is NHL ready at the moment you should probably start watching a new sport because you are struggling at understanding this one.

Reactions: BruinLVGA

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
So much hyperbole in this ridiculous post I dont know where to start. Hiescher was debatably the best forward at the WJC last year as a 17 year old. Put him on that loaded London team and lets see what his production looked like. You're right though Hischier isnt as good a CHL player because he is playing in the NHL as an 18 year old.

Elite Two way forward is not a buzzword what a garbage comment. the ability to identify a player that has good defensive awareness, the ability to play on the PK with a great stick is obviously a skill you dont have.

If you dont think he is NHL ready at the moment you should probably start watching a new sport because you are struggling at understanding this one.
You have no idea what you're talking about. Why do you think the Knights were a powerhouse? Maybe it had something to do with the 2x 2PPG league MVP who inflated every one of his line mates stats? Hischier's junior accomplishments pale in comparison. Marner has a better motor than both and has spent (limited) time on the PK in the best league in the world as a teenager.

You keep referencing the WJC as a be all end all measure of a great player. It's such an insignificant tournament in the grand scheme of a player's development. You probably thought Cody Hodgson, Angelo Esposito and Justin Pogge would be generational players huh.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Because we're talking about three very young players, two of which don't even have a rookie season under their belt. It's about projecting their skill set and nothing else.

Either this was the actual intent of the poll or the whole thing was set up just to fluff Marner. Putting Marner in his draft plus 2 year against 2 kids with maybe 10 NHL games between them seems a bit silly if you're evaluating anything but potential.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

I'll use age and league adjusted scoring just to show the gap between Marner and Hischier at 17. This factors in Regular Season, WJC, and CHL Playoffs. It does not include Hlinka or the U-18's.

Marner's adjusted scoring for his Draft season (when he was on a middle of the pack London team): 2.24 (One of the highest ones in recent history behind McDavid, Kane, and Crosby). He put up great stats in the playoffs centering a line of two undrafted players, while Domi played with Dvorak.

His draft +1 Season was 2.04, which is the highest possible one of all players who played in the CHL for their draft +1 since 2005.

Hischier's was 1.42, behind a bunch of players. Also keep in mind, Hishcier got unlimited ice-time for both Halifax and the Swiss, which somewhat counteracts the less-teammates theory.

I'm not going to do this for Keller for a variety of reasons. The two main ones being, that trying to figure out how to calculate the USNTDP adjustments is a nightmare, and the massive shift in College conference over the last decade has altered the relevent league values. Then you have to individually calculate for each out of conference game.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

...wait a minute. Since when has Hischier not looked NHL ready?

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Why should I pick Nico or Keller?

Marner is not only the most proven but he has the highest upside.
Disagree. in fact I like both Keller and Hischier upside more. Marner is the safer pick and clearly better now but I'm huge on Keller and his skills as well as Hischier at C.

Hischier>=Marner>= Keller

very good poll

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Disagree. in fact I like both Keller and Hischier upside more. Marner is the safer pick and clearly better now but I'm huge on Keller and his skills as well as Hischier at C.

Hischier>=Marner>= Keller

very good poll

Marner very clearly has the highest upside of the 3 and any hockey expert worth their salt will tell you the same thing.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Sorry, I don't get how you don't say Marner here. 61 points in 77 games as a rookie while playing 15-20 games with Mono straight in to the playoffs as well as having one of the best junior careers EVER. I am huge on Keller and Hischier, but Marner is playing horribly right now and still has 4 points in 5 games. This is Marner AINEC right now and I don't think the tiering changes here (Marner >> Hischier > Keller for me).

ECBBW

Jun 29, 2014
Sydney
Right now
Marner
Keller
Hischier

Going forward
Hischier
Marner
Keller

Big fan of all three.

Last edited:
Reactions: vtdevils2k

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
I voted Marner, but I think Keller is close. Hischier is a good player, but I can't see him being elite like I can the other two.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad