Clayton Keller named NHL rookie of the month!

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Barzal has 10 points in 2 games. I wish that was part of the equation. Or the team the player plays for, or age. Keller is a year younger, has a more even goal to assist ratio and doesnt have a line centered by Tavares to soak up the top defensive unit. Barzal being a center puts weight on his importance, and McAvoy being a defender does the same for him. I know I am being a homer here but I think Keller has had the most impressive debut out of the three but I understand why Barzal will win the hardware.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
It's tough for defenders to win the Calder. Throw in his injury on top of that and I can't see McAvoy getting into the top 3 over Keller.

Barzal should win it, Keller should be the runner up, and the third finalist either Boeser or Gourde.

Reactions: Mosby

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
It's tough for defenders to win the Calder. Throw in his injury on top of that and I can't see McAvoy getting into the top 3 over Keller.

Barzal should win it, Keller should be the runner up, and the third finalist either Boeser or Gourde.

Agreed.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Nevermind didnt realize Barzal has 79 points. I though he was slowing down but thats not the case.
Yeah I think It's great he's in the conversation but it will be a short talk. Same kind of sadness for the others in the Adams conversation this year after Gallant.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Nevermind didnt realize Barzal has 79 points. I though he was slowing down but thats not the case.

He is slowing down a bit, but not that much.
Boeser actually out scored him in 2017. Barzal didn't quite start off like a rocket, very good good but he didn't really start putting up crazy totals till November. He's a bit off his pace the last month or so. But he's been the most consistent of any of the Calder candidates.

This is one of the reasons I'm not terribly worried about a sophomore slump for Keller. He's already had to fight through that this year. It doesn't get much harder than having to fight through a slump on a team that had single digit ROWs through 3 months and was 30th in goal scoring.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Barzal has 10 points in 2 games. I wish that was part of the equation. Or the team the player plays for, or age. Keller is a year younger, has a more even goal to assist ratio and doesnt have a line centered by Tavares to soak up the top defensive unit. Barzal being a center puts weight on his importance, and McAvoy being a defender does the same for him. I know I am being a homer here but I think Keller has had the most impressive debut out of the three but I understand why Barzal will win the hardware.

Yeah, they should factor in goals scored by the team, and notice how big part of the scoring on the team Keller is involved in.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC

Gourde is a 26 year old rookie. Is he even eligible?

Another name in the mix should by Kyle Connor. And Alex DeBrincat.

May as well engrave the trophy with Barzals name though,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad