Confirmed with Link: Clayton Keller Named Calder Trophy Finalist

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I wanted to trade down and take Barzal... Glad he's panning out for the Isles.
No shame in being runner up. Especially when you're on a team with a thin roster like the Coyotes. Plus, he nabbed a few rookie records (*cough* Selanne *cough*)

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I wanted to trade down and take Barzal... Glad he's panning out for the Isles.
No shame in being runner up. Especially when you're on a team with a thin roster like the Coyotes. Plus, he nabbed a few rookie records (*cough* Selanne *cough*)

You weren't alone in that. I think every HF mock draft I did that year if I didn't get the top 2 I traded down to try to get Barzal lol.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
You weren't alone in that. I think every HF mock draft I did that year if I didn't get the top 2 I traded down to try to get Barzal lol.
I thought Strome was probably better than Barzal, but Barzal plus a young NHL player was worth more to me than Strome.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I know no Coyotes player has ever won a major award, but when was the last time a Coyote was even nominated?

I’m talking players. I know we have two Jack Adams plus Don’s and Doan’s awards.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I know no Coyotes player has ever won a major award, but when was the last time a Coyote was even nominated?

Burke was 3rd in the Vezina voting in 2002. That would make him a finalist the way they announce the awards today, though I'm not sure if they did that whole song and dance back then. I don't think they did but :dunno:

I think there's a pretty good case both Burke and Smith should have a Vezina to their name. But the awards are somewhat political and guys who are due tend to win them. Both of them had tough competition in their years but given the team they played on and that they basically matched the stats of goalies on higher powered teams...
Both guys were likely punished due to playing in a small market, lacking star power to their name, and GAA (which I would argue helps their case when you consider the other numbers are comparable)
But like I said the numbers were close enough to where you wouldn't argue it too much.

Reactions: Mosby

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Nice to see Keller make it as a finalist. I'm surprised Boeser was selected over Gorde. I mean I get that Gorde plays on a stacked team but don't tell me Barzals numbers are not inflated as well. The Islanders are one of the top offensive teams in the league and they play a free wheeling, no defensive responsibility type of system to boot.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
You're looking at the best Coyote on our roster who will develop into a very good if not borderline superstar in this league. He's that good.

Reactions: Jmmack

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I don't think this is actually official though? It's just based on the votes of these NHL.com writers.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Well, ****, I think you're right Mosby. If a mod can kindly update the thread title accordingly, I'd appreciate it.

Last edited:

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I don't think this is actually official though? It's just based on the votes of these NHL.com writers.

It is deceptive though. It's the official NHL twitter account and shows the picture of three players with the words "Calder Trophy"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad