Confirmed with Link: Clayton Keller, Coyotes agree on 8-year, $7.15M AAV extension

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
So if he has a good year you will finally shut up about the coaching? :laugh:
That depends. I don't think one player over achieved last year. Many blame the injuries, which were part of the reason, but most did not play to their potential. The only reason we were not a bottom five team was Kuemper. He played out of his mind. This year there are no excuses. It's time to shut up and put up.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Since you like RT, what are your expectations for this year?
I’m starting to like RT, he adjusted very well last season. I didn’t care him whatsoever out the gate, his first year. Having said that I also credit him for making adjustments after that atrocious start as well.
I expect to be entertained
Why so serious?

Reactions: Bonsai Tree

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I’m starting to like RT, he adjusted very well last season. I didn’t care him whatsoever out the gate, his first year. Having said that I also credit him for making adjustments after that atrocious start as well.
I expect to be entertained
Why so serious?
I expect the playoffs, nothing less will do. I have been entertained for enough years. RT had no choice but to make adjustments after that start, but he waited much to long to make such adjustments. RT was my choice out of the group the Yotes interviewed, but he has disappointed me, although I will give him a small pass because of the injuries we had last year. This is a big year not just for RT, but many players as well. Like I said, I expect the playoffs this year.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Has RT ever had a winning season as HC in the NHL? :) :popcorn:

Has RT ever been given a roster that could generate one? The team he took over in Tampa was a hot mess back then.

We all know you love Tippett to the point you probably have a 6 foot tall FatHead of him stuck on your wall. :laugh:

But the point is Tocchet is doing just fine with what he has right now.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I expect the playoffs, nothing less will do. I have been entertained for enough years. RT had no choice but to make adjustments after that start, but he waited much to long to make such adjustments. RT was my choice out of the group the Yotes interviewed, but he has disappointed me, although I will give him a small pass because of the injuries we had last year. This is a big year not just for RT, but many players as well. Like I said, I expect the playoffs this year.
I didn’t ask, nor do I care about your expectations. You’ve made them clear adnauseum.

Last edited:

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
DT’s a great coach and had the situation been different here, he may have had more success later in his tenure. Credit him for gutting it out in less than desirable circumstances
His being gone isn’t a bad thing. The team and most others have moved on and aren’t interested in hanging around and constantly beating a dead horse.

Reactions: Jakey53

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'm sure you know, but I'll remind you any who, DT has a winning record as HC, RT does not. ;)

Dave Tippett's career in Arizona:
Games: 622Wins: 282Losses: 340Win%: 0.45
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Rick Tocchet's career in Arizona:
Games: 164Wins: 68Losses: 96Win%: 0.42
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
DT was 3% more effective than RT has been. Big whoop.

If the Coyotes win 42 games this season, Tocchet will have the same career W% as Coyotes HC that Tippett has. Both will be 45%.

Let's not pretend 45% is impressive for either coach. Tippett was mediocre and was allowed to languish for far too long. He became prematurely outdated and failed to adapt. The only reason he wasn't axed sooner was lack of strong ownership/management.

He's gone now. I think he's going to have a lot of early success in Edmonton and they were smart to hire him. They need to be careful about keeping him around too long, but they did the right thing in hiring him for sure. He's going to do wonders for that club in the short-term.

Now that Tocchet and Chayka have had a couple of years to chase out Tippett's legacy, and have tailor-made the roster to suit them both, I think Toccet is going to start having success too. I think that he's finally got a team assembled that gets what he's trying to do, and can execute in the way he wants.

I think both Edmonton/Tippett and Arizona/Tocchet are on the way up, and each party will enjoy some long awaited successes over the next few years.

Last edited:

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Has RT ever been given a roster that could generate one? The team he took over in Tampa was a hot mess back then.

We all know you love Tippett to the point you probably have a 6 foot tall FatHead of him stuck on your wall. :laugh:

Tocchets first year was pretty bad with the 0-20 start, that was way under expectations. He tried a run and gun system and got killed, at first, then made adjustments. Last year, Tocchet coached pretty well, the team had more points then they should have, given all the injuries. Some would say strong D, PK, and Kuemper were the major contributors. You have to give Tocchet some credit.

I always grade coaching based on realistic expectations and circumstances. It bothers me that we really didn't have any young players break out last year, yet Domi/Strome did on other teams, not sure if that is a trend or circumstances. It will be nice to stay healthy, and see Fischer/Keller/DVO/Chych break out a bit this year, and we make the playoffs.

Bottom line the verdict is still out, but I think we are fine with Tocchet as our coach for now.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Whether or not Chayka and/or Tocchet are actually any good or are complete busts, we’re soooo stuck with them. Chayka has completely nuked everything and rebuilt from the studs. He’s done it with Tocchet in mind. He’s locked everyone in. Chayka has been all in on Tocchet and all in on his own vision. Bringing in anyone else just guarantees a five year setback. We are all in. No choice but to wait it out and see what happens.

Reactions: _Del_

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

You are the one who brought up DT. RT has not proved a thing here in AZ. This year is a big year for him, and many of the kids.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Dave Tippett's career in Arizona:
Games: 622Wins: 282Losses: 340Win%: 0.45
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Rick Tocchet's career in Arizona:
Games: 164Wins: 68Losses: 96Win%: 0.42
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
DT was 3% more effective than RT has been. Big whoop.

If the Coyotes win 42 games this season, Tocchet will have the same career W% as Coyotes HC that Tippett has. Both will be 45%.

Let's not pretend 45% is impressive for either coach. Tippett was mediocre and was allowed to languish for far too long. He became prematurely outdated and failed to adapt. The only reason he wasn't axed sooner was lack of strong ownership/management.

He's gone now. I think he's going to have a lot of early success in Edmonton and they were smart to hire him. They need to be careful about keeping him around too long, but they did the right thing in hiring him for sure. He's going to do wonders for that club in the short-term.

Now that Tocchet and Chayka have had a couple of years to chase out Tippett's legacy, and have tailor-made the roster to suit them both, I think Toccet is going to start having success too. I think that he's finally got a team assembled that gets what he's trying to do, and can execute in the way he wants.

I think both Edmonton/Tippett and Arizona/Tocchet are on the way up, and each party will enjoy some long awaited successes over the next few years.
I hope you and others are right about RT. We need a big year out of him and the kids have to go to that next level. That did not happen last year, and even with all the injuries, none of the leadership group stood out except maybe OEL and Richardson.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Whether or not Chayka and/or Tocchet are actually any good or are complete busts, we’re soooo stuck with them. Chayka has completely nuked everything and rebuilt from the studs. He’s done it with Tocchet in mind. He’s locked everyone in. Chayka has been all in on Tocchet and all in on his own vision. Bringing in anyone else just guarantees a five year setback. We are all in. No choice but to wait it out and see what happens.
I agree. I hope RT makes me eat crow.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Domingue.
I'm too lazy to go back and dig up quoted and stats, but even at the time we were a much better looking team than the standings. Completely ridiculous PDO. Had good close games where we made one or two gaffes and they were in the net. Not all of it was Domingue -- we did give up some glorious chances-- but the way, way below average save percentages absolutely killed us.

I thought it was pretty clear even then that we had tightened up. Improved shots for/against. Looked tighter and more dynamic. Just stupid, stupid individual mistakes that would cost us a game late.

We were also 2-15-3 at game 20, not 0-20, but whatever. It was bad.

I was pretty skeptical of the Tocchett hire. Still don't really like a lot of what he has done, but I thought it was clear that a change had brought in some much-needed fresh air.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
You are the one who brought up DT. RT has not proved a thing here in AZ. This year is a big year for him, and many of the kids.

And you keep idolizing Tippett whenever he’s brought up.

Four points out of a playoff last year with a MASH unit for a lineup isn’t something you just blow off.

But nobody has claimed anything here, Jakey. I think they’re both decent coaches who have a different philosophy.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

I'm cool with going all-in on guys like Kessel, Schmaltz, Keller etc... vs hoping Dave Moss can provide 15 goals or so.

It's also not hard to undo a roster if your guys are punching their AAV or better. Control adds a ton of value in the salary cap world. It's not the boat anchor it used to be. If this team falls flat on its ass, Keller can be dealt for a massive return if he's good, as an example.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
And you keep idolizing Tippett whenever he’s brought up.

Four points out of a playoff last year with a MASH unit for a lineup isn’t something you just blow off.

But nobody has claimed anything here, Jakey. I think they’re both decent coaches who have a different philosophy.
I thought RT was the best choice for the Yotes of all the candidates they interviewed. Having said that, RT was applauded because of the way the team battled with all the injuries, which he deserved, but he also made many mistakes, and none of the kids progressing from the previous year, which is worrisome to me. Maybe last year was a learning experience for RT and the kids. Even though we have no superstars, we are a pretty deep team over all, one that has to make the playoffs. I'm tired of hearing, "were fast", or "we are entertaining", or "we hung in there", I want wins, I want playoffs. We as fans should expect and demand that. Make no mistake, I'm rooting for RT. I really want to see him win here. Excuse me as I have to go and take down my DT poster, and put up a RT one.:)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad