clay's mock draft

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
1) St. Louis: ERIK JOHNSON- This one is almost a given. He is a franchise defenseman who will pay off big time in the long run. Replacement for Chris Pronger.

2) Pittsburgh: JORDAN STAAL- Pittsburgh will immediately create the best depth at centre in the NHL for years to come with this pick. A very safe, reliable pick, Staal is a very hard-working gifted skater who is a smart two-way player. Also, look possibly for Pittsburgh to trade down for the best winger in the draft, Kyle Okposo.

3) Chicago: PHIL KESSEL- The most dynamic player in the draft will be a gift at #3. Great skater, great shot, but needs to work on strength.

4) Washington: JONATHAN TOEWS- The Caps would have loved for Staal to fall to them, but Washington will take this young Trevor Linden to centre Ovechkin for years to come.

5) Boston: NICKLAS BACKSTROM- The B's would be ecstatic to draft this stud. One of the best Swedish prospects since the Sedins, this Peter Forsberg/Mats Sundin mix will be Boston's new franchise centreman.

6) Columbus: KYLE OKPOSO- Columbus drafts the smooth skating Okposo, filling out their first two lines as possibly the best lines in the NHL in the near future.

7) NYI: DERRICK BRASSARD- Finally, New York is pleased to take a future franchise centreman. With the highest point total of anyone in any league of the draft, Brassard is sure to not dissapoint.

8) Phoenix: PETER MUELLER- This kid is a very safe pick. He is extremely sppedy and has good hockey smarts. He doesn't shy from hitting, and is excellent defensively.

9) Minnesota: NIGEL WILLIAMS- The Wild take Williams in high hopes. Very physical and a great skater, but very unpredictable for the future. Could end up a top-pairing defenseman, could end up a #5.

10) Florida: BOBBY SAGUINETTI- With the forwards in the Panthers' system already very sturdy, they look to improve on D, drafting a very offensive defenseman in Saguinetti. Think Sergei Gonchar with this guy. Very good hands and fast.

11) Los Angeles: MICHAL FROLIK- The first boom-or-bust pick of this draft, Frolik was once regarded as the #2 in this draft. He is arguably the second most dynamic player in the draft behind Kessel, and could pan out to be a #1 centre.

12) Atlanta: BRYAN LITTLE- A very safe pick at this point in the draft. Little is very smart with the puck and is extremely reliable defensively. He shows great patience with the puck, yet sees the ice great,

13) Toronto: JAMES SHEPPARD- Simply the best player available. Sheppard has the potential to be a dominating power forward in the new NHL.

14) Vancouver: JIRI TLUSTY- A very quick, smart player who also has the potential to be a #1 centre in the NHL. Probably the best trait about this kid is that he is one of the best two-way players in the draft.

15) Tampa Bay: PATRICK BERGLUND
16) Montreal: YURI ALEXANDROV
17) Minnesota (for Edmonton): CHRIS STEWART
18) Colorado: MIKE FORNEY
19) San Jose: TY WISHART
20) NYR: ALEXANDER VASYUNOV
21) Philadelphia: LELAND IRVING
22) Washington (for Nashville): CORY EMMERTON
23) Buffalo: CHRIS SUMMERS
24) New Jersey: JONATHAN BERNIER
25) Calgary: NICK FOLIGNO
26) St. Louis (for Carolina): CAL CLUTTERBACK
27) Dallas: BEN SHUTRON
28) Ottawa: CARL SNEEP
29) Detroit: ONDEJ FIALA
30) Anaheim (yeah, they'll win it): DAVID FISCHER

insider

Nov 14, 2003
Can you give me a little report on why Irving and Sneep are so high? I havn't seen them this high in other mocks.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
The Blues aren't going to look at Cal Clutterbuck. Not with Sneep, Fiala and Fischer (picks 28-30) still out there.

The big surprise here is saying Pittsburgh will *not* take Kessel and instead going after Staal.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
insider said:
Can you give me a little report on why Irving and Sneep are so high? I havn't seen them this high in other mocks.

I have seen Irving play a few times, and this guy is good. Very good positioning, very good reflexes. He reminds me of a better Alex Auld. As far as Sneep goes, I am judging based on reprts that he is good. Good defensively and good offensive instincts.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Irish Blues said:
The Blues aren't going to look at Cal Clutterbuck. Not with Sneep, Fiala and Fischer (picks 28-30) still out there.

The big surprise here is saying Pittsburgh will *not* take Kessel and instead going after Staal.

I think Pittsburgh laready has enough dynamic players. They need some two-way reliability. Staal would fit the bill.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
One surprise I would look for in the draft would be the Penguins taking Okposo at #2 if Johnson is already taken. It would be presumed that they would trade down, but you never know.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
clay said:
One surprise I would look for in the draft would be the Penguins taking Okposo at #2 if Johnson is already taken. It would be presumed that they would trade down, but you never know.

I'm struggling with this in my mock right now. I think Okposo at two is a strong possibility.

Jack Splat

Apr 8, 2006
Hershey, PA
This past season, Pittsburgh had exactly one dynamic player: Sid. (None of the other candidates finished the season with the team.) Next year, if Malkin comes over, they'll have two dynamic players. The AHL team this year couldn't buy a goal to save its collective life, and relied on defense, goaltending, and solid two-way gritty players like Stone and Talbot.

I'd be happy if the Pens traded down for Okposo, especially if they got a solid top-four defensive defenseman in the process. My first choice for the Pens would be Johnson, because #1 defensemen are so rare and valuable, but Kessel really fills a need. The only reason they'd take Okposo at #2 is if scout Chuck Grillo goes to bat for him, and if that happens I'd be okay with it, too, since Grillo has come through for the Pens recently with Goligoski and quite a few other midwestern prospects.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
I also heard a Pens proposal that I really liked. If Johnson is already taken, I think the Pens would highly consider taking a deal like this from Vancouver:

To Pittsburgh: Luc Bourdon

To Vancouver: 2nd overall

Corona-12

May 17, 2006
BC, Canada
Can anybody tell me some more info on Tlusty? Is he NHL ready?/How long until he is? Would he be "ok" with comming into the AHL?

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
clay said:
I think Pittsburgh laready has enough dynamic players. They need some two-way reliability. Staal would fit the bill.

I disagree.
Pittsburgh has 2 dynamic centers; and that's it. They need a Top-End winger every bit as much as they need some defensive forwards. Decent 2-way forwards will be available in the 2nd and 3rd round; there's no reason to waste the 2nd overall pick on your 3rd most pressing need. IMO it's almost a given that the Pen's will take Kessel at #2.

Corona-12

May 17, 2006
BC, Canada
kimzey59 said:
I disagree.
Pittsburgh has 2 dynamic centers; and that's it. They need a Top-End winger every bit as much as they need some defensive forwards. Decent 2-way forwards will be available in the 2nd and 3rd round; there's no reason to waste the 2nd overall pick on your 3rd most pressing need. IMO it's almost a given that the Pen's will take Kessel at #2.

Kessel IS a centre isn't he? So wouldn't they take Toews(top winger I believe)

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Corona-12 said:
Kessel IS a centre isn't he? So wouldn't they take Toews(top winger I believe)

1) Toews projects better as a center.
Kessel projects better as a winger.

2) Toews is a 2-way playmaker; not exactly the kind of fit you'd want for 2 dynamic playmaking centers.
Kessel is a sniper and that is what Pittsburgh needs to complement Crosby and Malkin.

3) The mock had Pittsburgh taking Staal who is STRICTLY a center. IMO there is ZERO possibility of them grabbing Staal. He simply isn't a fit for their organization. Kessel is pretty much the IDEAL fit for Crosby as he has the speed and shot to capitalize on Crosby's set-ups.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
clay said:
i agree, he seems like a player that pitt could use. though 2 is probably high, i could see him at pitt but in a trade down. cbus and min are options as well

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
kimzey59 said:
1) Toews projects better as a center.
Kessel projects better as a winger.

2) Toews is a 2-way playmaker; not exactly the kind of fit you'd want for 2 dynamic playmaking centers.
Kessel is a sniper and that is what Pittsburgh needs to complement Crosby and Malkin.

3) The mock had Pittsburgh taking Staal who is STRICTLY a center. IMO there is ZERO possibility of them grabbing Staal. He simply isn't a fit for their organization. Kessel is pretty much the IDEAL fit for Crosby as he has the speed and shot to capitalize on Crosby's set-ups.

is there someone on pitt now that could play the other wing spot who has the size/grit

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
RDriesen16 said:
is there someone on pitt now that could play the other wing spot who has the size/grit

Chemistry willing, you play those two with Malone. Malone plays the role of PF; Sid is the playmaker; Kessel is the sniper. That could be a very productive line for Pittsburgh.

That would leave Malkin with Ouellete and Surovy which could be another productive scoring line.

Last edited:

Default101

clay said:
I also heard a Pens proposal that I really liked. If Johnson is already taken, I think the Pens would highly consider taking a deal like this from Vancouver:

i think your forgetting CP doesn't GM the penguins anymore ;) i think we'll land a guy with more common sence than to take Bourdon straight up for the 2nd overall pick i'd rather have Kessel/Staal/Toews over Bourdon any day and by a wide margin, and with saying that i like Luc Bourdon i think he'll be good, but being a penguins fan i'd be greatly pissed of they made a deal like that.

Zeus6754

May 8, 2006
Ry-Dogg said:
i think your forgetting CP doesn't GM the penguins anymore ;) i think we'll land a guy with more common sence than to take Bourdon straight up for the 2nd overall pick i'd rather have Kessel/Staal/Toews over Bourdon any day and by a wide margin, and with saying that i like Luc Bourdon i think he'll be good, but being a penguins fan i'd be greatly pissed of they made a deal like that.
I agree. I think if the Pens were looking to trade the 2nd overall it would look much more like this... but I doubt these teams would make such a trade.

To Pitt: Jack Johnson (he's friends with Sid which might peak Pitt's interest)

To Carolina: 2nd overall + prospect(s) (Jordan Stall to learn from & play with big bro)
To Pitt: Ryan Suter

To Nashville: 2nd overall
To Pitt: Cam Barker

To Chicago: 2nd overall

Like I said, I seriously doubt any of these trades would happen. I think that there is a 99.9% chance that the Pens stay at #2 and take either E. Johnson or Kessel.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
kimzey59 said:
Chemistry willing, you play those two with Malone. Malone plays the role of PF; Sid is the playmaker; Kessel is the sniper. That could be a very productive line for Pittsburgh.

That would leave Malkin with Ouellete and Surovy which could be another productive scoring line.
thats who i was thinking, but i just didnt know how much longer malone would last in pitt. it seems whenever i read about him, fans were complaining. though i could be wrong

Jovofan

Apr 26, 2006
Vancouver, BC
clay said:

If Dave Nonis ever made that deal I would hunt him down. :madfire:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->