clay's final 2006 mock draft

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
1) :blues ERIK JOHNSON

Although the Blues are in need of scoring talnet, Johnson is too good to pass on. He is what you could call a perfect defenseman, with size, strength, speed, and skill. Look for him to be battling Phaneuf for Norris for years to come.

2) :pens JONATHAN TOEWS

The fact is, Pittsburgh would be dumb to pick up another franchise dynamic centre by going with Kessel. They salivated over the chance to get Johnson, but didn't happen. Toews is an extremely reliable two-way forward who could play wing with Crosby or Malkin, or even adapt to a third line centre role if need be.

3) :hawks NICKLAS BACKSTROM

The Hawks jump all over this kid while they have the chance. He truly has it all when it comes to a scoring centre. He has passion, speed, and creaivity to be a franchise centre. He will toughen up as he adapts to the North American game.

4) :caps JORDAN STAAL

The Caps are excited to have the newest Staal aboard. Staal is an exceptional two-way player who is handy in all situations, and has a great attitude. He would thrive being a set-up man for Ovechkin.

5) :bruins PHIL KESSEL

Arguably the most dynamic player in the draft, and arguably the most skilled. He falls a bit to to his so-called "attitude" and non-physical play. But the Bruins are extremely happy to have a new franchise centre on board. Imagine a one-two punch of Bergeron and Kessel in a few years. That's scary.

6) :cbj PETER MUELLER

This kid is probably the most underrated player in the draft. He has great hockey sense and scoring ability, but didn't get much chance to show it playing for a defensive minded Everett squad. He thrives in the defensive zone as well. With Mueller added to the lineup, Columbus might have the best group of forwards in the league a few years from now.

7) :isles JIRI TLUSTY

A great player who is a wildcard Euro. Could end up being a #1 centre, could end up a #3 centre. But he is a true sniper, who unlike other snipers, can boast an excellent defensive game.

8) :coyotes CHRIS SUMMERS

The first shocker of the draft, Summers has the most versatility of anyone in the draft. He is an extremely quick skater, and can be played reliably on defense and on forward.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
9) :wild KYLE OKPOSO

The Wild can't believe that the home town kid falls into their laps. The Wild need to adress their defense, but can't pass up this guy. He is again blessed with speed, heart, and scoring.

10) :panthers TY WISHART

Mike Keenan loves this kid. He is very, very steady in his own zone, and will jump up if necessary. Keenan needs to and does adress his club's need of a defenseman.

11) :kings BOBBY SAGUINETTI

The Kings op to stay away from a forward for once, and go for the smooth-skating Saguinetti. He is a beast on the powerplay, but is shaky in his own zone. The kings pray that this will come with maturity.

12) :thrashers DERRICK BRASSARD

For no apparent reason, Brassard drops to 12th. His prowess in the offensive zone is mouthwatering. He is unbelievably creative with the puck, and almost needs to be double teamed to be shut down.

13) :leafs MICHAL FROLIK

Once considered the next best player to Kessel in thi draft class, Frolik has yet to prove himself at high levels, but yet to show he can't be a superstar. He has all the tools, but he needs to put them all together. The Leafs pass on Little, thinking that Frolik has way more potential.

14) :nucks BRYAN LITTLE

The Canucks go with the creative forward from Barrie, a prospect at the forward position that the Canucks will finally be able to be excited about. He's a leader, who has awsome vision in the offensive end, and does his job defensively, too.

15) :bolts JAMES SHEPPARD

Although in desperate need of restocking at goal, the Bolts simply can't pass up this gem. The big centre has huge power forward potential, and could end up being the cornerstone of the Bolts franchise with Richards and Lecavlier.

16) :habs PATRICK BERGLUND

The Habs see great things in Berglund, as he has the size, vision, and skating ability to do great things in the NHL.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
17) :wild (FROM EDMONTON) DAVID FISCHER

Another big shocker, the Wild go with the Mr. Hockey recipient of '06. Fischer brings something to the table that the Wild lack, in defense. He is an underrated two-way d-man who always controls the play with his vision and puck skills. Anothers home-state pick for the Wild.

18) :avs CHRIS STEWART

A big power forward who slipped a little due to the bad shape he was in for the draft combine. He has a nose for the net, and doesn't hesitate to participate in physical play. An asset that the Avalanche would love to have.

19) :ducks RIKU HELENIUS

The Ducks are in desperate need of depth at the goaltending position, and if they adressed it, it seems they would have a complete prospect pool. Helenius is a very big, agile goalie who likes to challenge the shooter.

20) :sharks CARL SNEEP

The Sharks seem to go off the board every year, and this year is no different. Sneep is a big guy who can log a lot of minutes and be effective in all situations. His work ethic is what the Sharks like, and they go for the home run pick.

21) :rangers MIKE FORNEY

Forney is a guy who is sort of a wild card. Some think that it really hurt is development going the high school route, but man did he dominate in it. Forney could end up being a franchise sniper, and the Rangers bounce all over the potential.

22) :flyers NIGEL WILLIAMS

Again here is a guy with all the tools. He is quick, tough, and huge, but like Luc Bourdon last year, a lot of people question his decision making. He is a pretty typical Bobby Clarke player.

23) :devils CORY EMMERTON

Emmerton is a bit of a wild card. He has done very well in junior, but I can't see him working too well in the NHL. He needs to bulk up, and needs to get tougher. He could end up being very good if coached properly.

24) :flames TOMAS MARCINKO

For once, the Flames take a European in the first round. Marcinko is a hard worker, who has scoring forward potential, something the Flames lack extremely. Marcinko put up big numbers in the Czech Junior league, and has #2 centre potential.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
25) :caps (FROM NASHVILLE) JONATHAN BERNIER

Bernier is a solid tender who doesn't have any major flaws in his game. He has pretty good refelxes and is great positionally. The Caps are very happy he is still available, and feel he has the potential to replace Kolzig when he retires.

26) :sabres YURI ALEXANDROV

The Sabres jump on the chance to draft for need here. Alexandrov played in The RSL as a 17 year old, and logged big minutes doing it. He is a very sound d-man who doesn't make many mistakes, and these d-men are the type you need to win championships.

27) :stars TONY LAGERSTROM

The Stars love the potential in this guy. He has good vision, good speed, and doesn't shy away from hitting. He is big and brings a lot to the table every night. Some people argue he isn't very skilled, and he'll have to prove them wrong in the future.

28) :sens MICHAEL GRABNER

Grabner has loads of potential, and is very underrated. He can be overlooked because of his point total with Spokane this year, but he played for a team that didn't give him any support. He is a natural goal scorer, who has always got more goals than assists in his carrer. Sniper potential.

29) :wings ALEXANDER VASYUNOV

The Wings go for a huge home-run pick here. Vasynunov has tons of skill, but has always been criticized for his work ethic. He has been said to be very hot and cold, and very moody. But as for his game, he brings a lot of assests, including great speed and a great shot.

30) :blues (FROM CAROLINA) RYAN WHITE

The Blues go for a safe pick here. White is a typical two-way forward who can chip in offensively when given the opportunity. He is the type of guy you rely on to win games, in that he doesn't screw up. The Blues are very happy to add him to their depth chart.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
good mock.

I hate when people say so and so won't go here or there. If you told anyone prior to the 05 draft that Kopitar would drop out of the top 10 and Setoguchi would go ahead of him they would just laugh. So many people are going to be suprised by the players picked.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
jtuzzi said:
good mock.

I hate when people say so and so won't go here or there. If you told anyone prior to the 05 draft that Kopitar would drop out of the top 10 and Setoguchi would go ahead of him they would just laugh. So many people are going to be suprised by the players picked.

I have a feeling after the consensus top 5(Johnson, Kessel, Toews, Backstrom and Staal) being picked in the top 5 or 6 spots, this draft will get wierd fast as well.

Safir*

I would be extremely happy, if Brassard falls to the Thrashers.

Good Mock. Thanks for effort. :handclap:

TV sets sales will pick up in & around Phoenix, if the Yotes pick another Dman. ;)

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
clay said:
20) :sharks CARL SNEEP

The Sharks seem to go off the board every year, and this year is no different. Sneep is a big guy who can log a lot of minutes and be effective in all situations. His work ethic is what the Sharks like, and they go for the home run pick.

22) :flyers NIGEL WILLIAMS

My opinion but I don't see how the Sharks take Sneep ahead of Williams. Both these guys are similar in their physical attributes, both raw as hell, but Williams has the better upside. They are the top guys for me at the Sharks' 20 with Williams being the easy choice and Sneep being the backup (along with Brian Strait and Joey Ryan). Good mock but didn't like the logic behind this one.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
umm caps's nashville pick is #23 or #22 not #25 but more than one mock draft posters has done that for whatever reason.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
jtuzzi said:
good mock.

Yes, I agree. Real drafts are never what you expect to be. Setoguchi and Brian Lee in the top 10 were huge surprises, and same with Kopitar out of it as you mentioned. And two years ago, nobody would have ever though Meszaros ar Schremp would fall as far as they did.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
clay said:
Yes, I agree. Real drafts are never what you expect to be. Setoguchi and Brian Lee in the top 10 were huge surprises, and same with Kopitar out of it as you mentioned. And two years ago, nobody would have ever though Meszaros ar Schremp would fall as far as they did.
Yes there will be surprises. But with Ballard, Michalek and Seidenberg all very young and in the NHL and Jones, Spiller, Stephenson and Yandle also already in the system, and with an almost bare offensive forward cupboard, the Yotes WILL NOT take an off the board d-man #8. That doesn't mean they will take the forward everyone thinks though.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
clay said:
7) :isles JIRI TLUSTY

A great player who is a wildcard Euro. Could end up being a #1 centre, could end up a #3 centre. But he is a true sniper, who unlike other snipers, can boast an excellent defensive game.

I don't see the isles gambling on a wildcard at #7.Local press says they've already tried moving up in the draft.If they can't move up and the likely top 5 of EJ,Toews,Kessel,Staal and Backstrom are gone,I expect they'll take Mueller,Brassard or Okposo at 7.

KH1

CREW99AW said:
I don't see the isles gambling on a wildcard at #7.Local press says they've already tried moving up in the draft.If they can't move up and the likely top 5 of EJ,Toews,Kessel,Staal and Backstrom are gone,I expect they'll take Mueller,Brassard or Okposo at 7.
I agree. Tlusty is the farthest off the board that the Isles are going to go IMO, and I could only see them as interested in him because he fits the model of a tough 2 way forward like Colliton, Bergenheim, Comeau, O'Marra and Nokelainen that we've targeted in the last few drafts.

Also, it's worth noting that Jiri Tlusty isn't a center he's a winger.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
CREW99AW said:

I really don't think that Tlusty is a wildcard. He has monster potential with a great defensive game to back it up as well.

bullsville

May 13, 2006
I like very much this mock draft but i think that if kessel is avaliable the blackhawk will pick him ;)

turnbuckle*

As you said "for no apparent reason" Brassard drops to 12th. Not going to happen IMO because there's no apparent reason for it to happen.

I like Chris Summers as your wild card though - I think he'll sneak into the top 17.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Chrisd said:
yotes fans will hate you, and brassard isnt going that late.

yep. Yote fans look at that pick and their young defense and their stockpile of good defense prospects (Ballard, Michalek, Spiller, Jones, Stephanson, Yandle) and shake their heads with any notion that they would take a D man at the 8th pick. At the very least, they would trade down to select him.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
clay said:
2) :pens JONATHAN TOEWS

The fact is, Pittsburgh would be dumb to pick up another franchise dynamic centre by going with Kessel. They salivated over the chance to get Johnson, but didn't happen. Toews is an extremely reliable two-way forward who could play wing with Crosby or Malkin, or even adapt to a third line centre role if need be.

I don't disagree that the Pens might take Toews. He certainly is in the mix along with Johnson, Kessel, Backstom and Staal. But the reasoning is iffy at best. Kessel by all accounts would be the most likely convert to wing of the bunch. How choosing 'another' franchise dynamic (your words, not mine, though I agree with them) FORWARD is a bad thing at all has me scratching my head. Out of the five Toews has me the least excited actually. He sounds like one of those who is a Jack of all Trades, good at everything, great at nothing. He certainly is reputed to have the least upside and by far the fewest natural gifts of any of those top five. The Pens certainly can afford to take a chance at dynamic instead of feeling the need to not chance missing with boring and 'good.'

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Do you think Jesse Joensuu has a shot in the 1st round ? He seem to be pretty low on every mock coming out recently .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad