Claude Ruel Has Passed Away...

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Sad day. For older guy like me....he had seem to have been a great mentor for our players. Was extremely sadden by Jean Béliveau's passing...and now not long after, he's gone too. RIP Mr. Ruel and condoleances to his family.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Wow. I remember the controversy when he was first hired. Too young and inexperienced. I was a little kid so I don't know how good a coach he was, but I do remember the Stanley Cup that year.

Kachino

@kachino82
Feb 16, 2008
Montreal
Only heard and read about him more about his player development role. Shame I wasn't born when he coached the Montreal Canadiens. RIP Claude Ruel.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Another passing for the Canadiens family..

CLAUDE RUEL, coach and mentor and winner of a Stanley cup has passed away at the age of 76.

RIP Claude..

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2015/02/09/deces-de-lancien-entraineur-chef-du-canadien-claude-ruel

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/canadiens/décès-de-claude-piton-ruel-1.2138028

So sorry to hear of Claude's passing, always the players coach and instrumental in the development of many of the Habs young careers before they became Hall of Fame players. It's been a tough year for former Habs, first Gilles Tremblay, then Jean Beliveau and now Claude Ruel, my condolences to the Ruel family for their loss.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Claude Ruel was an analyst to the end.

Mario Tremblay relates how at Mr. Beliveau's funerals, he talked at length about how Nathan Beaulieu should have more active feet and stick.

He still was around the game with the Armada.

One of hockey's biggest fans and brightest minds.

May he rest in power.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
So sorry to hear of Claude's passing, always the players coach and instrumental in the development of many of the Habs young careers before they became Hall of Fame players. It's been a tough year for former Habs, first Gilles Tremblay, then Jean Beliveau and now Claude Ruel, my condolences to the Ruel family for their loss.

Very well said and my sentiments exactly.

RIP Mr. Ruel. :(

lou4gehrig

Bedard 2023
Aug 2, 2005
This organization is blessed with so many talented and legendary players and coaches. It's really the best part about being a Habs fan. RIP.

Analyzer*

Nilan's description of him in "The Last Gladiators" was great.

R.I.P.

JC Superstar

Aug 7, 2013
As a coach, he gaves us some of the most classic clichés of all time:

- Y en aura pas de facile (there won't be an easy one)
- Le puck roulait pas pour nous autres (the puck wasn't bouncing for us)
- And of course, the famed: les ti-gars ont donné leur 110% (the kids gave their 110%)

Piton lost an eye when he was playing junior hockey but the scouting report on him was that he would have been a Guy Lapointe 10 to 15 years before. I don't know if that report is true, but what I know is that the Habs players had sharp tape to tape passes in the drills and they had to learn to get the puck or they would have to stay on the ice after practice.

Going to arenas all over the junior leagues, I remember seeing him in at least 5 cities: he was the eyes of the habs and everybody tried at one moment or the other to see what he was seeing. Even Pierre Mondou when he was grooming him tried hard but couldn't match the master.

RIP Claude, you were the one!

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
As a coach, he gaves us some of the most classic clichés of all time:

- Y en aura pas de facile (there won't be an easy one)
- Le puck roulait pas pour nous autres (the puck wasn't bouncing for us)
- And of course, the famed: les ti-gars ont donné leur 110% (the kids gave their 110%)

Piton lost an eye when he was playing junior hockey but the scouting report on him was that he would have been a Guy Lapointe 10 to 15 years before. I don't know if that report is true, but what I know is that the Habs players had sharp tape to tape passes in the drills and they had to learn to get the puck or they would have to stay on the ice after practice.

Going to arenas all over the junior leagues, I remember seeing him in at least 5 cities: he was the eyes of the habs and everybody tried at one moment or the other to see what he was seeing. Even Pierre Mondou when he was grooming him tried hard but couldn't match the master.

RIP Claude, you were the one!

Regarding his stock in trade phrases, there was also "2-on-1, everyone take a man".

Claude Ruel was an absolute MASTER at translating the Scotty Bowman game plan into achievable performances by the players he mentored/tutored. Perhaps the greatest assistant coach ever in the NHL.

RIP Piton!

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Sad day. For older guy like me....he had seem to have been a great mentor for our players. Was extremely sadden by Jean Béliveau's passing...and now not long after, he's gone too. RIP Mr. Ruel and condoleances to his family.

I had the opportunity to chat with him once. I liked the man. He did a lot for the Habs.

DJ Breadman

Jan 18, 2011
Newfoundland
I don't remember him I was too young but watching Chris Nilan talk about him in the last gladiators, he seemed like a throw back coach. He actually worked with the players and taught them actual skills they would need to succeed. Whether it be skating or shooting and passing. Not like the coaches today where you're expected to know everything by the time you make the league, and they just stand back and bark at you.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I had the opportunity to chat with him once. I liked the man. He did a lot for the Habs.

My father, who's now passed away, had a whole lot of chats with him and kept saying how nice he was indeed. I never did have the privilege though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad