Confirmed with Link: Claude Julien Receives 3-Year Extension

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
My opinion (often incorrect) is that Kelly up there with Looch and Griff is simply a way to have a solid 3 zone player on that line (defensive conscious). Sods is solid defensively, but not as polished as Kelly in his own zone

See I think the 3 zone play improves with the Swedes. You have Loui covering defensively and Soda boosting the line offensively.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
See I think the 3 zone play improves with the Swedes. You have Loui covering defensively and Soda boosting the line offensively.

Kelly on that Looch line right now makes sense to me, not even close to what I would ever want as a top line center and I`m nothing but positive Kelly doesn`t view this as an ideal spot for him to be in a lineup but as I opined, while I think Sods defensive zone game is good, Kelly`s is often exceptional, his recognition and anticipation of where to be is terrific.

Again, elephant in the room it seems, my biggest concern is or question, should we be more concerned about DK`s hip???

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Kelly on that Looch line right now makes sense to me, not even close to what I would ever want as a top line center and I`m nothing but positive Kelly doesn`t view this as an ideal spot for him to be in a lineup but as I opined, while I think Sods defensive zone game is good, Kelly`s is often exceptional, his recognition and anticipation of where to be is terrific.

Again, elephant in the room it seems, my biggest concern is or question, should we be more concerned about DK`s hip???

I agree Kelly's defensive game is great but you would still be covered defensively with the Swedes. It's hard to call Kelly a solid three zone player right now when he's been held pointless in 8 or 9 games now. I wouldn't say he's solid offensively right now and that's the problem, especially if they're trying to get Lucic going.

I would also love to see what happens to Griffith on the 3rd. See if things open up for him a little bit and with the pressure of being off the 1st line he can make something happen consistently.i think he's the real deal but having him on the 1st is not ideal IMO.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I'm rather sure Jacobs would rather lose games than lose close to $10m, so yes.

that wasn't the question though. losing the full $9m would mean he gets fired before the extension even begins. Julien could easily get fired with 6 months left on his extension and then Jacobs would only be out a million and a half and that would still qualify as Julien "not being the coach of the Bruins at the end of his extension"

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
that wasn't the question though. losing the full $9m would mean he gets fired before the extension even begins. Julien could easily get fired with 6 months left on his extension and then Jacobs would only be out a million and a half and that would still qualify as Julien "not being the coach of the Bruins at the end of his extension"

I doubt they fire him. If they did decide to can him though, the recent track record is that PC would have to unofficially operate the team below whatever the per year value of the extension is. Like they did when PC wanted to cut bait with Lewis...

Danton Heineken

Howard Potts
Mar 11, 2007
Fall River
I doubt they fire him. If they did decide to can him though, the recent track record is that PC would have to unofficially operate the team below whatever the per year value of the extension is. Like they did when PC wanted to cut bait with Lewis...

Yep, they'd be stuck with $3M in dead money. Like with Chris Kelly.

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
People who think Claude demands too much from his players at both ends of the ice should listen to Mike Modanos HHOF speech about Bob Gainey.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Jesus Screaming Christ this was probably the Clodiest game I have ever seen. Benches Koko most of the game, I don't remember seeing Dougie in OT, no Koko in OT, goes through like a dozen shooters before Koko... man I swear they won this one in spite of Claude tonight.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
lucic still not being put with the swedes still doesn't make sense.

ElkabombKid9

May 18, 2007
Boston
Now I'm usually a Clode fan but this season he's been frustrating the hell out of me.

Loui-Soda-Looch seems like a very obvious line combo in the absence of Krejci.
Especially if there's been trouble scoring.
And yet they've only spent a handful of shifts together despite looking good in those shifts.

Can someone who understands this man tell me why he is not doing this?
What are the reasons against this line combo?

I wonder if anyone can really remember what his style was when he coached Philly or MTL. Was he as strict with lines then? Or is this something he instituted when coming to Boston?

Like he always insists putting a power forward type on the right side of Lucic and Krejci, which has worked great. This year it's a bit different not having that RWr.

You make a good point w/ inserting Lucic with Soda and Loui. Your still keeping "pairs"together". Your already down your most offensively talented player. You can't sacrifice more offence trying to keep it spread out. That line replaces your normal 1a or 1b line until Krejci returns. Maybe you move Paille to the third with Kelly and Griffith, and yes it becomes a 3rd line checking line. Go with two solid scoring lines until everyone is healthy, and you can revert to 3 scoring lines.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
They did. Can't rationally discuss our head coach right now.

after I walked away from the board for a bit my only line of thinking is that Claude was leaning on the 4th line so much to keep the top guys rested for tomorrow. That would explain why Dougie's minutes were limited in the 3rd and OT as well. In that sense I guess I can understand it, but I don't understand why he didn't give Koko *more* minutes in that case.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
so people are mad he rolled 4 lines tonight?

And didnt play the Koko line that much cause they were getting abused by the Johansen line?

when we have 3 games in 4 nights coming up

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
The Bs are 9-3 in there last 12 without Chara and Krejci for the most part and people are killing Claude jeez this place is tough

This is some of Claude's best work to have this team where they are basically playing with 5 inexperienced Defensemen and 1 Vet

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I agree Kelly's defensive game is great but you would still be covered defensively with the Swedes. It's hard to call Kelly a solid three zone player right now when he's been held pointless in 8 or 9 games now. I wouldn't say he's solid offensively right now and that's the problem, especially if they're trying to get Lucic going.

I would also love to see what happens to Griffith on the 3rd. See if things open up for him a little bit and with the pressure of being off the 1st line he can make something happen consistently.i think he's the real deal but having him on the 1st is not ideal IMO.

I know fans hate this word (which I`ll post after my point) but the small things Kelly does in the offensive zone, whether that`s taking away a lane for a pass, or strong board play allowing Sods/Loui or whomever to make a play for the puck often goes unnoticed. 3 zone play doesn`t always mean a player is a point machine which we all know Kelly is not

Intangeables:yo:

since76

Jul 14, 2005
Quebec
http://bruins.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=38868

All due to Thomas, of course. :shakehead

If Julien is a "very very bad coach" I'd really like to know who's good.

I never said , all is due to thomas, julien has been a good coach but his incapacity to change and make any adaptation make him more and more a old dynosaure , and for thomas , without his miracles in playoffs in 2011 clode, julien would be fired , that don't pull all julien sucess, i respect him and all he done , but now his time is past and he refuse to adapt and keep his 2011 thought , everything who don't make evolution desaspear amd he will after 2 other lost against habs in palyoffs, clode have zero total zero thought how to beat habs , he even don't try anything , the rangers coach easily stopped subban in last playoffs and this way beat habs , clode have great opportunity to give experience to young bruins but no , he refuse and continue to play gagne , campbell and other of his favorites, he is there to win. YES, but we really see this team is not a contenter anymore, not at all, many players from there, so it is time to change strategy and see more far than next game, but clode just can't , not his fault , he ijust don't have what is needed to think, but he was a great system coach...in the past

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
The Bs are 9-3 in there last 12 without Chara and Krejci for the most part and people are killing Claude jeez this place is tough

This is some of Claude's best work to have this team where they are basically playing with 5 inexperienced Defensemen and 1 Vet

Bang on.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
What the living hell is in the drinking water up in here? In the last four seasons Claude has coached the Bs to a Stanley Cup, a Stanley Cup Finals, and a President's Trophy. All of this in a league with incredible parity. Exactly what is antiquated about a coaching style that produces those kind of results? ****ing hell, folks, get a grip on reality.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
I never said , all is due to thomas, julien has been a good coach but his incapacity to change and make any adaptation make him more and more a old dynosaure , and for thomas , without his miracles in playoffs in 2011 clode, julien would be fired , that don't pull all julien sucess, i respect him and all he done , but now his time is past and he refuse to adapt and keep his 2011 thought , everything who don't make evolution desaspear amd he will after 2 other lost against habs in palyoffs, clode have zero total zero thought how to beat habs , he even don't try anything , the rangers coach easily stopped subban in last playoffs and this way beat habs , clode have great opportunity to give experience to young bruins but no , he refuse and continue to play gagne , campbell and other of his favorites, he is there to win. YES, but we really see this team is not a contenter anymore, not at all, many players from there, so it is time to change strategy and see more far than next game, but clode just can't , not his fault , he ijust don't have what is needed to think, but he was a great system coach...in the past

I can't even... :help:

Well, he just signed a 3-year extension, so I'm afraid you're stuck with him.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
it is totally possible to think Claude Julien is a good coach (and I have constantly praised his system for being able to weather tough times) and think he has had a bad season thus far.

And even then, his system is still helping to weather the storm.

I'm not calling for him to be fired, but I am angry with his line choices, time of ice, and some other things that aren't worth getting into in this thread today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->