Claude Giroux's one good season extended once again...closing in on 700 points

CallArnoldSlick

Party Fowl
May 21, 2010
Being 2nd in points this decade is great, but it's important to remember he's played 100+ more games than Sid, Malkin and Stamkos, and 40+ more than Kane, Backstrom and Getzlaf.

It also elimintes from the conversation any young guns who entered the league over the past decade.

Giroux is in the mix of second tier star players. He's not a Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin or Kane type player though, as some people try to suggest.

Edit, he's 12th in P/GP this decade.
NHL.com - Stats

Roksta

Jul 27, 2011
And yet, every Giroux thread turns into a parade of Penguin fans trying to convince the world that he's only mediocre. All because Lavy called him the best player in the world 6 years ago.

Sure buddy, Pens fans care about a player on a team that has not done shit in the past 400 years when they won 3 stanley cups in the last decade :laugh:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Being 2nd in points this decade is great, but it's important to remember he's played 100+ more games than Sid, Malkin and Stamkos, and 40+ more than Kane, Backstrom and Getzlaf.

It also elimintes from the conversation any young guns who entered the league over the past decade.

Giroux is in the mix of second tier star players. He's not a Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin or Kane type player though, as some people try to suggest.

NHL.com - Stats
Only on HF is being durable and playing thru injuries, held against a player. All those players you listed started their career before Giroux so they have all had the chance to play the same games Giroux did.

And yes, it does eliminate the younger guys....but PPG doesn't.

As for PPG....again...it depends what starting date you use. The Jan 1 date...or the 2010 season like site like Quanthockey use. He is 6th in PPG since the start of the 2010/11 season behind McDavid, Sid, Malkin, Kane, Stamkos.

Giroux is in that 2nd tier of guys after Sid. Malkin, Ovi and McDavid. Kane is in that 2nd tier as well. Most Flyers fans have no issue with that....or at least shouldn't. It's when they hear dumb shit like "Tavares has been better AINEC" that bothers them.

Reactions: Sasso09

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
This.

[mod]

Giroux IS a hell of a player and is likely the most underrated player in the league. But he isnt the best of anything so *shrug*

[mod] I'm legit celebrating a guy who has been my favorite player in the league since his first playoff series against the Pens as a rookie.

He is up there regardless of the starting point. Doesn't change his ranking as being in the range of a Top 5 - 10 forward this decade.

Good on ya, daver. See other Pens fans, this is how to be gracious.

NHL.com - Stats

He jumps to 6th in P/GP this decade if you take out that half season in 2010, which was his first full year in the league and when he had to fight for ice-time with prime Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, and Danny Briere, (and even then, he pushed Carter to the wing to lock up the 3C), and his linemates were Aaron Asham and one of Darroll Powe or rookie JVR. He then put a PPG in the playoffs as a first year 3C and scored an OT winner in the SCF.

I love it, dude throws up 102 points and it's met with shrugged shoulders from some corners.

Last edited by a moderator:

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
[mod] I'm legit celebrating a guy who has been my favorite player in the league since his first playoff series against the Pens as a rookie.

You are excited? Awesome. Hes your fave player? Awesome

Neither one of those things make him the best.

Giroux is an outstanding player and, as I said, absolutely underrated. No doubt about that. Hes fantastic. But is not, nor ever has been, the best.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Should’ve won the Hart last season? Explain to me how he was more impactful to the Flyers than Hall was to the Devils.
Because he was? Much better defensively, played more games, scored more points, was involved in a higher percentage of his team's points and his team was better (barely). Every box checked in Girouxs favor, ....he was robbed

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
He's certainly not mediocre, but elite to me is a small group. Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkln, Subban and perhaps McKinnon or Laine is my short list. Giroux isn't as good as those guys right now.

EDIT: Had McDavid on the list and deleted his name for some reason. No flaming please.
Giroux is very clearly better than Laine and Subban. And was better than Ovechkin and Malkin both last year and this year

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Because he was? Much better defensively, played more games, scored more points, was involved in a higher percentage of his team's points and his team was better (barely). Every box checked in Girouxs favor, ....he was robbed
The whole Hart was a joke. They couldn't give it to McDavid again.

How them Devils doing this year with the Hart trophy winner? lol

Giroux sure is good at putting up points and whining a lot

He is also GREAT AT GROPING A MALE COPS BUTTOX LOL

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
He didn't hit 60 points the year prior to the 100 point season. And didnt hit 70 the year before that. It's not hard to see why people don't consider him elite.

He's a very good player.
"Very good player" that is better than Crosby and Malkin defensively and has more points than both over the last 8 years despite those two injury riddled seasons. I guess Malkin and Crosby are just good players

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Eye test my friend. Laine also scores more goals than Giroux, he finished second to Ovechkin last year.

One 100 point season does not a elite player make. If you want to use that test, then there would be numerous players who could be considered "elite." Kane and Kucherov are in the same boat as Giroux, very good but not elite.
"One 70 point season does not a elite player make "

Laine is no where near Giroux, Kane or Kucherov

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
The eye test doesn't have to make sense, it's not an objective as going through statistics.

The problem to me is Giroux satisfies neither the eye test nor the stat test. One 100 point season is a weak argument to be considered elite if you judge solely by statistics. He has put up decent numbers in the playoffs, but the Flyers haven't won the Cup. Last year after Giroux scored 100 pts in the regular season he laid a major egg in the playoffs, -10 in one playoff series is not "elite".

The eye test is subjective, to me he's very good but not elite. I'm sure that many people who aren't rebid Flyers fans would agree with me. He's good, but not elite in the minds of most hockey fans who aren't Flyers fans.
Ok....so he's not elite by the stats but Laine is?

You're saying a season of 44-26-70 is better than 34-68-102? That's what you're saying? 10 goals > 42 assist? All while the player scoring 32 more points is more well rounded and better defensively? Give your head a shake. Giroux is also well on his way to blowing Laine out of the water this year more than doubling him in points currently. Laine is the 3rd or 4th best player on his own team, a team that was no one on it better than Giroux.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
He had a 58 point season two years ago and only 2 ppg seasons in the last 5 . He's a compiler only one 30 g season.
What if I told you that unlike most players Claude Giroux plays through major injuries and rarely misses games? Punish him for that if you want

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
I am curious what competition Giroux is up against when it comes to this decade. What I mean by that is Giroux had the advantage of being at the start of his prime when this decade began. So all 8 years this decade has been his prime years. Even Crosby had his best years prior to 2010. Thornton was 31 in 2-10 so he was entering near the end of his prime. Others might have been rookies in 2010 or entered the league a couple of years after. So I am just curious who else as far as superstars have had their prime years this entire decade so far.
Kane, Toews, Malkin, Tavares, Backstrom, Getzlaf, Crosby despite your claims (he was 22-23, but yeah sure, out of his prime), Stamkos, Benn, Ovechkin, Bergeron etc.

You're right he didn't have much competition

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Since the decade started:

NHL.com - Stats

4th in points, and 7th in PPG among the Top Ten.

Playoffs min. 50 games:

NHL.com - Stats

25th in points, 5th in PPG

He is behind Crosby, OV, Kane, Malkin and argubly Stamkos as the most productive player of the decade. Throw in Toews, Bergeron and Kopitar into the mix and he is arguably #5 but certainly a Top 10 forward.
Those numbers are incorrect. He's 2nd to only Crosby in points this decade

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
He's placed in the Selke voting on 5 different occasions, with the highest being 14th. :laugh:

A guy with 102, 93, & 86 point seasons under his belt is a compiler. :laugh: A guy with now the 2nd most points in the league since the 10-11 season (just 2 points shy of Crosby) is not elite. :laugh: Keep pouring in the bitter bitter hate boys. It's just making the thread that much sweeter.

You're responding to a guy who made a thread asking if Karlsson was a mere product of playing on a bad team or something along those lines...

Reactions: mja

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
What if I told you that unlike most players Claude Giroux plays through major injuries and rarely misses games? Punish him for that if you want
His two lowest point totals are from a season that ended with him getting surgeries on his hips and abdominal muscle and the season after which he played while still recovering from his injury. If he sat the end of 15-16 and start of 16-17 he'd be up there in PPG with the guys that took time off, ludicrous to think he isn't elite because he scores at a lower rate than normal, but still higher than 0 which is what is being comparing to.

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
this is an intelligent thread,..... once you ignore pittsburgh fans

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago

NHL.com - Stats
He's been better than Kane more seasons than not since cracking the league as a first line player after being buried behind Carter and Richards.

These are just offensive comparisons not taking into consideration Girouxs huge defensive advantage.

2010- Giroux/ 25-51-76 > 27-46-73
2011- Giroux/ 28-65-93 > 23-43-66
2012: Kane/ 23-32-55 > 13-35-48 (lockout)
2013: Giroux/ 28-58-86 > 29-40-69
2014: Giroux/ 25-48-73 > 27-37-64
2015: Kane/ 46-60-106 > 22-45-67
2016: Kane/ 34-55-89 > 14-44-58
2017: Giroux/ 34-68-102 > 27-49-76
2018: undecided, Giroux slightly up.

Overall Giroux has 625 points this decade vs 619 for Kane. Im sure Giroux detractors or Kane supporters would love to talk about PPG and games played as if that hurts G which never made sense to me, you don't discredit the player who plays through injury and is generally durable in order to pump up the player not helping your team in the press box.

Giroux has had better offensive seasons 5 of 8, one of the 3 in favor for Kane was marginal during the lockout season. That coupled with the overall game of Giroux while playing the exclusively C until last year the only argument for saying Kane has been the better player is when you take into consideration cups, which is absurd.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
I think the thing I like most about watching Giroux is how passionately he plays the game. I really admire that. He’s so damn intense.

Funny side story - 2 years ago my wife and I ran into some of the Flyers at a bar in Nashville. Giroux came in and sat down at a table about 10 feet away. The wife and I were both in our respective jerseys, obviously me in a Devils one and she was in a Voracek Jersey I got her, and he made direct eye contact with me no less than 5 times. It was definitely a stare... like he couldn’t figure out how a Flyers fan was with a Devils fan. It kinda made me nervous haha. But Voracek was very relaxed and later in the night he ordered me to get my wife another beer. I’m a few months older than him but I still jumped at his order.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad