Claude Giroux

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Was around 5'2 at 16. His draft year was also his rookie year in the Q.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Same reasons he had to audition for a junior roster spot. Nobody in the OHL drafted him, so he picked up and walked on in Gatineau of the QJMHL.

The knock was his size, and the problem was there isn't a reliable test for Hockey IQ.

Slevesque

Aug 9, 2008
He was a reach at 22 at the time. Seems strange considering the season he had in the Q, but you have to keep in mind he was passed over in the OHL draft, and their were questions marks about his size/speed.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Same reasons he had to audition for a junior roster spot. Nobody in the OHL drafted him, so he picked up and walked on in Gatineau of the QJMHL.

The knock was his size, and the problem was there isn't a reliable test for Hockey IQ.

I was talking to a scout for gatineau and I asked him why giroux played there and not in the OHL and he told me giroux was 5'2 or something in his original ohl draft year and then was injured for the better part of the year after that so nobody took a chance on him. But with gatineau being so close to ontario they were looking at him and gave him a tryout.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
? ok well thats not surprising, if Leblanc turns out as good as Giroux then he def was a steal. just curious why are u comparing them?

Qvist

Apr 14, 2009
He didn't fall, he rose. If I remember correctly he was not a consensus first round pick at all. THN DP had him way down in the second.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
It's gotta be his lack of size.

For example, since last year, many people have been saying that Sean Courturier is a top-3 pick, at worst a top-5 pick.

Well last season he had 96 points in 68 games in the Q. He also happens to be around 6'4, 190 pounds.

Compare that to Giroux, who stands 5'11 and 172 pounds currently, who had 112 points in 63 games in his draft year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad