Claude Giroux & The Hall

Griffin6612

Jun 28, 2007
Agree. For a 5 year stretch he was on his way (10-11 to 14-15) but you need to keep that up for 10 years to be Hall worthy really.
For 5 years he was injured less than all the players better than him. That's pretty much all that happened. No trophy for being decent for 5 years.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Probably not, he has the talent but has had too many down years and not enough playoff success/individual awards

Turgeon 2.0

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
If Giroux wins a cup and is still a 1st line caliber player ~65-75 points until he is in his mid-30s he has an outside shot. But, gotta think that is unlikely considering he is already starting to trend to downwards.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
If the Flyers cash in on their coming cup window and G is still their best player he has a real shot at the hall.

That's a little optimistic given that their "Cup window" depends on guys with little to no NHL experience.

JGalt

Jun 5, 2007
Huntingdon Vlly, PA
That's a little optimistic given that their "Cup window" depends on guys with little to no NHL experience.

Well just how big of an if we're talking is certainly open to debate but, IF in 3 seasons or so when their defense prospects pan out Giroux is still the best player on the team, and IF they win a cup. At that point Giroux to the HoF should be a legit discussion.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
I'm not sure why so many people find this laughable. If Philly wins the cup with Giroux as their captain, conceivable as they have a lot of young talent, and he bounces back from last season to the 70 point area and stays there for some time(he's averaged that pace over 6 years prior to last and if Patrick turns out other teams will have to spread around there defense more) it would be pretty reasonable. People on here usually ignore that its likely the Hall of Fame will adjust for era and you don't need to be ppg to get in.

Do I think he'll get in? Probably not but he certainly could if the Flyers win a cup or two.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
For 5 years he was injured less than all the players better than him. That's pretty much all that happened. No trophy for being decent for 5 years.

No trophy for being decent for 5 years. No scouting job for being terrible at evaluating players. Guess you're both going home empty handed.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
using the bar the OP has set up

here is a list from his draft class who should get in

Nicklas Backstrom
Phil Kessel
Jonathan Toews
Milan Lucic
Jordan Staal

getting a VERY long look
Brad Marchand
Bryan Little

Staal, Lucic, Little, Marchand have absolutely 0% odds of getting in. Kessel has a very very small chance, if he averages 70 points, 30 goals every year until retirement he might. Otherwise, no.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
That would be the opinion of a lot of people including me. But claude is in the discussion than so can steal.

Claude needs to knock it up a big notch to get in

Uh what..? Jordan Staal was never close to the level of Giroux. Giroux belongs in the hall of very good. J.Staal belongs in the hall of good.

The only player in the 2006 draft class that is a lock is Toews. Backstrom is on the edge. Kessel and Giroux are on the outside and would need quality longevity for an argument. No one else is that close.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
When I read the title, this is what I said to myself:

The Hall? Like Taylor Hall? No, that doesn't make sense. The Hall of Fame? No way, can't be that.

For Giroux to be inducted, he would need to have a back half of his career that defies all logic and historical precedence. His peak year was insane, no doubt. But it has been a steady decline since then. To improve his chances, he needs to get back to PPG form, do some damage in the playoffs like he did in the first few years of his career, and pull in some post season All Star selections. Tough to do on the wrong side of 30, which he will be sometime in the middle of this coming season if memory serves.

Ditto.

Then I started thinking....wait maybe he means Adam Hall.....

Yep turns out they played together.....I bet its quite the story.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I'd think right now he would get inducted as quick as Doug Gilmour did, if he wanted to get in quicker he needs a cup, but that Olympic Gold is never happening for him.

Personally, I'd say no, Mike Richards has a better chance than he does right now imo.

JABEE

Feb 12, 2010
Philadelphia
I believe there was a statistic that Giroux had the most points of any player from 2011-2016 and he was the top point producer of the decade going into last season.

Giroux QB'd one of the top PPs in the NHL and killed penalties unlike most star players for most of his prime.

I think his Hall of Fame case relies on how the team performs over the next 5 years. If the Flyers win a Stanley Cup, he will get in. I think with the Flyers prospects coming up, teams won't be able to key in on Giroux like they do now and hopefully the Flyers will have others to pick up the slack.

Giroux declined last season. He doesn't have the same speed he once had. I don't know if it is his hips or his groin, but something has been off with Giroux. Hopefully he rebounds next season.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
the same was said about kariya, recchi, and andreychuk

Kariya should not have gotten in
Recchi had 1500+ points, if Giroux shows that longevity he'll get in
Andreychuk also had impressive longevity (1600+ games and 1300+ points) and is the all-time PPG record holder. If Giroux holds a significant record he'll get in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad