Claude Giroux & The Hall

Tyrus

5 ft 7 in.
May 20, 2013
Start by winning anything of any significance at any point in his career.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
What does he need to do to be enshrined?

negatives

-no cups wins
-well under 100pts in the playoffs
-only 180 goals scored and 575 pts scored--300 to 400 goals and 1000 pts is usually the starting point for the hall for healthy player
- no 30/40 or 50 goal seasons
--no 100 pt sason
--no personal trophies
-has he ever been the best player in the NHL? being the best player on your team is one thing(Markus Nasland would be in the hall if that was the case)

while he has gotten golden medals he played on stacked teams that hurts and that is why many people down play team victories

right now he is not close

it is the hall of greatness not the hall of very good

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
negatives

-no cups wins
-well under 100pts in the playoffs
-only 180 goals scored and 575 pts scored--300 to 400 goals and 1000 pts is usually the starting point for the hall for healthy player
- no 30/40 or 50 goal seasons
--no 100 pt sason
--no personal trophies
-has he ever been the best player in the NHL? being the best player on your team is one thing(Markus Nasland would be in the hall if that was the case)

while he has gotten golden medals he played on stacked teams that hurts and that is why many people down play team victories

right now he is not close

it is the hall of greatness not the hall of very good

TBH, I don't know why people ask if a player was ever "the best player in the NHL."

How many guys have been?

Gretzky and Lemieux were for a number of years, then it was Jagr/Hasek/Lidstrom, then Crosby/Ovechkin and then Crosby himself and now Crosby/McDavid.

It's not like every couple of years, a new guy gets to be called/considered the best in the League. In a 20 year span, there may be 4-6 guys who are the absolute best.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
He was probably the best player in the NHL that 2011-2012 season. He remained elite for the next few seasons but has had a sharp drop off since Hakstol took over. Is it coaching, injuries (hes had multiple surgeries), or just age? Not sure at this point.

Nope.

^^^I realize that's not a constructive response, but that's all this claim deserves.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Top 3 in regular season followed by 17 points in 10 Playoff games certainly has him in the discussion.

Malkin was the best forward in the regular season but was kept in check by an 18 year old Sean Couturier in the Playoffs.

Stamkos did not make the Playoffs.

Either way..back to Giroux and his HOF chances...its a long shot and he would have to have a great back 9 of his career with at least 1 Cup as a major contributor.

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
I don't agree with the people who say no chance. What if he wins a Hart, Conn Smythe and accumulates goods stats by playing till he's 41?

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Top 3 in regular season followed by 17 points in 10 Playoff games certainly has him in the discussion.

Malkin was the best forward in the regular season but was kept in check by an 18 year old Sean Couturier in the Playoffs.

Stamkos did not make the Playoffs.

Either way..back to Giroux and his HOF chances...its a long shot and he would have to have a great back 9 of his career with at least 1 Cup as a major contributor.

Malkin was the best player in the regular season by a massive margin. A margin far larger than any gap Giroux had in the playoffs.

Giroux was not probably the best player in 2011-2012. He was certainly not.

And to answer the OP...it would require Giroux to be a better player in the second half of his career than he was in the first. Not likely.

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
I had to go back to the OP just to make sure that the question wasn't 'what does CG have to do to get into the hall...?'. If that was the case my answer would be 'buy a ticket like the rest of us...'

However it wasn't, alas...

He is/was certainly very good, but that isn't enough (or shouldn't be)

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
This doesn't mean anything, it took everything and serious complaints for them to finally invite MSL because of injuries shortly after he won the Ross. ********. Team Canada has so much deepness that they can choose players among stars for stupid personal or political reasons. I remember when Canada didn't invite Mario Lemieux in juniors. Total garbage. Use any argument you want, not this one. If it was only talent-based, Giroux would have made it. But it's not. Marketing is everything. I root for them to lose in every competition, and I'm proud of it.

canada didn't invite lemieux to the juniors?

not the way i remember it.

he declined the invite saying that it would detract from his chance to break the record for the most points in a season which was more important to him then playing for our country.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
He would have been hard pressed to make it even if he didn't start dropping off the last few years. Based on the trajectory of the last 3 seasons, no chance.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
He needs to bounce back if he even wants to have a chance of getting in the Hall of Fame, somehow I doubt he makes it in.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Gatekeeper to the hall is Pierre Turgeon.

If Giroux wants in, he needs to have a better career than Turgeon.

Agree. For a 5 year stretch he was on his way (10-11 to 14-15) but you need to keep that up for 10 years to be Hall worthy really.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
he'll probably need about $20 CDN, which is the going rate for admission at the HHOF at the moment.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Start by winning anything of any significance at any point in his career.

This.

Maybe Philly will start a PowerPlay Hockey Hall of Fame and he might have a chance at getting in. :naughty:

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
canada didn't invite lemieux to the juniors?

not the way i remember it.

he declined the invite saying that it would detract from his chance to break the record for the most points in a season which was more important to him then playing for our country.

You're both right. Lemieux and coach Dave King had a disagreement because he benched Mario for being too offensive. Mario said he'd never play for King again, which caused Team Canada not to invite Mario back. When Canada asked him again, Mario once again said no.

There were rumors – which Lemieux has denied – that he would refuse to play for a lesser NHL team, that he was offered $250,000 by Quebec league owners to play one more year of junior. But he did refuse to play for the Canadian junior national team this year, and he took the Quebec league to court, and his name appeared in headlines for much more than scoring the ungodly sum of 282 points in 70 games.

“When he turned down the Canadian junior team, it created an awful big story,â€Â Perno says.

A big, complicated story. It begins this way: Lemieux played for last year’s Canadian national junior team, which was coached by defense-oriented Dave King. Lemieux scored 11 points in the first four games of the world junior tournament, but King, seeking more checking, benched him for the last three games. Lemieux fumed. “After that, Mario said, ‘I will never play for him again,’â€Â says Robert Bousquet, who covers the Quebec league for Montreal’s la Presse. “King has said he doesn’t like Lemieux because he thinks too much offensively.â€Â

“We had a misunderstanding, me and him,â€Â Lemieux says.

King coached this year̢۪s Canadian Olympic team. Lemieux was not invited (Canada, coincidentally, reached the Olympic medal round but did not score a goal in its last three games). When the junior national team wanted him again, Lemieux, motivated by the bitterness of his world junior experience and the chance for Quebec league scoring records, said no.

“It wound up in court – the junior league was going to suspend him,â€Â Perno says. This is because the Quebec league has assured Hockey Canada that its best players would be available for international competition. Any player refusing to compete in the world junior tournament would be unable to compete for his league team for the duration of the tournament – approximately two weeks.

“I wanted to stay in Laval,â€Â Lemieux says. “I wanted to spend Christmas with my family, because it may be my last Christmas here. I had experienced the tournament two years ago. I just wanted to play in Laval, maybe get some records, finish first in the league.â€Â

“It was the first time a French Canadian had turned down the big machine,â€Â Perno says. “There was a lot of criticism. We told him going to court might affect the [NHL] draft, but he wanted to do it.â€Â Lemieux won the case, did not go to the junior tournament and continued to play for Laval.

“People here now regard Mario Lemieux as a hero,â€Â Perno says, “because he stood up and fought for what he believed was right.â€Â

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...eux-can-be-their-Gretzky/stories/201312010199

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Gatekeeper to the hall is Pierre Turgeon.

If Giroux wants in, he needs to have a better career than Turgeon.

yep and a few others

with Claude

how many 30+ goals seasons has he had?
How many 100 pts seasons has he had?

when the answer is none at this point in time?

hall of greatness not very good

for me he is 425 pts away from even being in the discussion and 120 to 200 goals

needs atleast one back to back 30 goal season and 2 100 pts seasons to get in the discussion

hall is for greatness
not for the very good

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
using the bar the OP has set up

here is a list from his draft class who should get in

Nicklas Backstrom
Phil Kessel
Jonathan Toews
Milan Lucic
Jordan Staal

getting a VERY long look
Brad Marchand
Bryan Little

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
He needs to regain the form of his first 5 seasons in the NHL. If he does that and the Flyers become a steady cup contender with a cup or two along the way then he will definitely be in consideration. Really who from the last 8-10 seasons except

Kane
Toews
Keith
Doughty
Crosby
Malkin
Price ??
Karlsson??

are locks for the Hall of Fame (not counting the Mcdavid era). I'm sure i'm forgetting some really good players but sure fire locks for the Hall?

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
are locks for the Hall of Fame (not counting the Mcdavid era). I'm sure i'm forgetting some really good players but sure fire locks for the Hall?

I have a hunch Ovechkin just might be a lock with his six Rocket Richard trophies and three Harts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->