Claude Giroux & The Hall

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
To have any chance whatsoever, he'll have to get back to his 2012 form and sustain it for a bit or just become a better five on five player, raise his production level and play for a long time. Playoff success would help.

I don't think he'll get into the Hall.

He seems like one many players who have been good players for the most part but who had a short period during which they looked like world beaters.

SB84

Jul 22, 2015
Calgary, AB
No chance. Never made team Canada at the Olympic when eligible. High peak but not sustained for a long period

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
When I read the title, this is what I said to myself:

The Hall? Like Taylor Hall? No, that doesn't make sense. The Hall of Fame? No way, can't be that.

For Giroux to be inducted, he would need to have a back half of his career that defies all logic and historical precedence. His peak year was insane, no doubt. But it has been a steady decline since then. To improve his chances, he needs to get back to PPG form, do some damage in the playoffs like he did in the first few years of his career, and pull in some post season All Star selections. Tough to do on the wrong side of 30, which he will be sometime in the middle of this coming season if memory serves.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
What does he need to do to be enshrined?

Play until he's in his early 40s in order to produce over 1200 career points, and maybe win a trophy or two in that time. Otherwise, doubtful. He just doesn't have the production or trophy case at this point.

Then again, the HoF's standards don't seem very high. There's a reason it's mockingly referred to as the Hall of Very Good.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
What exactly has he done to get in? No offense. I like his game a lot when he's on.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
No chance. Never made team Canada at the Olympic when eligible. High peak but not sustained for a long period

This doesn't mean anything, it took everything and serious complaints for them to finally invite MSL because of injuries shortly after he won the Ross. ********. Team Canada has so much deepness that they can choose players among stars for stupid personal or political reasons. I remember when Canada didn't invite Mario Lemieux in juniors. Total garbage. Use any argument you want, not this one. If it was only talent-based, Giroux would have made it. But it's not. Marketing is everything. I root for them to lose in every competition, and I'm proud of it.

Last edited:

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
To answer OP, Giroux could get in if he rebounds and get back to being top 5 in scoring regularly for a couple of years and plays until 40. Otherwise, doubt it. Right now he wouldn't have much of a case, but his career is far from being over.

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
It wasn't THAT long ago people were (trying to) making the argument that he had surpassed Sid as the best in the game.

Good times, good times.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
What does he need to do to be enshrined?

Giroux led the entire league in points over a 5 year period.

Every player that has ever done that is in the Hall of Fame.

That being said, he has to have at least 5 more seasons of 70+ points and at least 1 Cup to get consideration.

Bringing the first Cup to Philly in over 40 years would be a massive feather in his cap.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It wasn't THAT long ago people were (trying to) making the argument that he had surpassed Sid as the best in the game.

Good times, good times.

He was probably the best player in the NHL that 2011-2012 season. He remained elite for the next few seasons but has had a sharp drop off since Hakstol took over. Is it coaching, injuries (hes had multiple surgeries), or just age? Not sure at this point.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Giroux would have to play like an elite 23 year old for the next couple of seasons along with winning a cup to have his name up for consideration. If he kept his pace from 2 or 3 seasons ago then it would be a smaller bridge to cross.
He did lead the league in point production for 5 years straight over HOF locks like Crosby and Ovechkin (who doesn't have a cup).

It's not totally out of the question to at least think about a possible introduction to the hall... but as each season passes by it seems less and less likely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->