Claude Giroux: "Reasons to be Cheerful Part III"

Status
Not open for further replies.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Your ability to be boldly wrong about everything is something to behold.

AgileBouncyCopepod-small.gif

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Duh, at LW he's not matched up against the opposing center, and he skates 140 instead of 200 feet.
Giroux will be 32 next season, if we get back to the playoffs you're talking close to 100 games.

I know, let's run our best playmaker into the ground instead of sheltering him so he can be fresh on offense.
That's the ticket!
Ah yes, I forgot. At LW he stands outside the blue line when the puck is in our end.

:confused:

And again, Couts goes against top teams C. So that task won't fall to Giroux. Then you have Patrick who will be as good as Tavares by the end of the year, according to you. So he will get tons of attention, right? So Giroux will get sheltered offensive minutes at C....just like Frost will if he is the C and G is at LW.

Of course this argument falls apart if you were wrong about Patrick. Hmmm.

So pick which one you want to be wrong about....Giroux....or Patrick.

Last edited:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Ah yes, I forgot. At LW he stands outside the blue line when the puck is in our end.

And again, Couts goes against top teams C. So that task won't fall to Giroux. Then you have Patrick who will be as good as Tavares by the end of the year, according to you. So he will get tons of attention, right? So Giroux will get sheltered offensive minutes at C....just like Frost will if he is the C and G is at LW.

Both

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Patrick is showing what he can do, he's already a plus defensive center (instinctive when it comes to breaking up plays in his D-zone, and he's only 20). And his scoring is picking up, now that he's got a stable line and is gaining confidence.

I'd point out that Tavares had 29 ES points as a rookie, 43 in his 2nd season, and 56 in his 3rd, and didn't have surgery two summers in a row at age 17 and 18. He had the same wingers (Moulson, Okposo) hi first three seasons. Playing on a bad team, he got a lot of ES minutes centering the first line and PP1 minutes.
Oh yeah, his HC for his first two seasons, Scott Gordon - so I expect Patrick to take off the rest of the season.:sarcasm:

Tavares at 19, 1.32 pp/60, CF 48.25, CFrel +0.77, xGF 49.27, xGFrel -0.36 [13:48 ES]
Patrick at 19, 1.50 pp/60, CF 49.27, CFrel -0.37, xGF 52.45, xGFrel +2.79 [11:52]

Tavares at 20, 1.97 pp/60, CF 48.32, CFrel +3.45, xGF 48.27, xGFrel +5.04 [15:37]
Patrick at 20, 1.81 pp/60, CF 48.00, CFrel -3.04, xGF 52.18, xGFrel +2.48 [12:35}

Tavares at 21, 2.17 pp/60, CF 50.48, CFrel +4.48, xGF 54.81, xGFrel +10.52 [17:18]

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Patrick is showing what he can do, he's already a plus defensive center (instinctive when it comes to breaking up plays in his D-zone, and he's only 20). And his scoring is picking up, now that he's got a stable line and is gaining confidence.

I'd point out that Tavares had 29 ES points as a rookie, 43 in his 2nd season, and 56 in his 3rd, and didn't have surgery two summers in a row at age 17 and 18. He had the same wingers (Moulson, Okposo) hi first three seasons. Playing on a bad team, he got a lot of ES minutes centering the first line and PP1 minutes.
Oh yeah, his HC for his first two seasons, Scott Gordon - so I expect Patrick to take off the rest of the season.:sarcasm:

Tavares at 19, 1.32 pp/60, CF 48.25, CFrel +0.77, xGF 49.27, xGFrel -0.36 [13:48 ES]
Patrick at 19, 1.50 pp/60, CF 49.27, CFrel -0.37, xGF 52.45, xGFrel +2.79 [11:52]

Tavares at 20, 1.97 pp/60, CF 48.32, CFrel +3.45, xGF 48.27, xGFrel +5.04 [15:37]
Patrick at 20, 1.81 pp/60, CF 48.00, CFrel -3.04, xGF 52.18, xGFrel +2.48 [12:35}

Tavares at 21, 2.17 pp/60, CF 50.48, CFrel +4.48, xGF 54.81, xGFrel +10.52 [17:18]
Again....moving the goalposts.

You never said Patrick vs Tavares at the same age. You actually said that Patrick could be as good as Tavares is by the end of the year. So 2019 Patrick vs 2019 Tavares.

Once again...lying. Maybe you are a politician. You lie so much, you can't keep them straight anymore.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Again....moving the goalposts.

You never said Patrick vs Tavares at the same age. You actually said that Patrick could be as good as Tavares is by the end of the year. So 2019 Patrick vs 2019 Tavares.

Once again...lying. Maybe you are a politician. You lie so much, you can't keep them straight anymore.

Let's see how Patrick finishes the season, he'll be a better defensive center by the end of the year if he's not already, if his scoring goes over 2.0 pp/60 he's in the same league offensively - he won't put up the same total numbers b/c he won't be the 1C or get the PP time that JT got with the Islanders.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Giroux's going through a scoring slump the last few games, which sucks, but he's still been great this year.

His points don't even nearly represent how well he's played, specifically because the PP was broken and then Knob decided to make it 10x worse. Even his play in these games when he hasn't scored has been very good.

At even strength, Giroux has 40 points in 50 games, which is a 64 point pace.
Last year he had 66 even strength points.

So it's not as if his even strength performance has suffered while being away from Couturier or because he's playing at C, it's just that the overall total is down thanks to the powerplay. Of his 1045:55 total TOI this year, only 434:40 has been with Couturier, and yet he's still keeping up with last years performance.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
His scoring is fine, but the line with Giroux at center struggles with possession and on defense.
Just not a good fit with JVR and TK.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
If Giroux continues this pace through the end of Next Season, he will pass Brian Propp for 3rd Place All-Time in Flyers Career Points... and be only 33 Points behind Bill Barber for 2nd Place... only 326 Points behind Clarke.

If... and this is a big IF... he can continue this same pace for five Seasons past this Season, he would catch Clarke.

He is on approximately an 88 Point Pace... which is a higher pace than he was prior to Last Season... but 15 Points less than he totalled Last Season.

Keeping in mind that the NHL Point Leaders' Scoring seem to be on a rise... If Giroux can keep his mojo through his Mid-Thirties... and Re-Signs with the Organizaion after his Current Contract ends... he has a chance to become the Flyers Top All-Time Scorer... Something I personally never thought I'd be saying.

It's a long shot... but one that is not impossible.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
If Giroux continues this pace through the end of Next Season, he will pass Brian Propp for 3rd Place All-Time in Flyers Career Points... and be only 33 Points behind Bill Barber for 2nd Place... only 326 Points behind Clarke.

If... and this is a big IF... he can continue this same pace for five Seasons past this Season, he would catch Clarke.

He is on approximately an 88 Point Pace... which is a higher pace than he was prior to Last Season... but 15 Points less than he totalled Last Season.

Keeping in mind that the NHL Point Leaders' Scoring seem to be on a rise... If Giroux can keep his mojo through his Mid-Thirties... and Re-Signs with the Organizaion after his Current Contract ends... he has a chance to become the Flyers Top All-Time Scorer... Something I personally never thought I'd be saying.

It's a long shot... but one that is not impossible.
Right now I'm just hoping he can eclipse 1,000 points before this contract is up because who knows what will happen after that. I'd like to think he wants to retire here and will take a cheap 2-3 year deal but he's going to be 34 and who knows what direction the team will want to go in by then. I think it's going to be pretty close but I would hate to see him get to 1,000 with someone else. Actually just the thought of him in another uni makes me sick.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Right now I'm just hoping he can eclipse 1,000 points before this contract is up because who knows what will happen after that. I'd like to think he wants to retire here and will take a cheap 2-3 year deal but he's going to be 34 and who knows what direction the team will want to go in by then. I think it's going to be pretty close but I would hate to see him get to 1,000 with someone else. Actually just the thought of him in another uni makes me sick.

I'd be shocked if Giroux leaves at the end of his deal. He'll stick around just like Thornton in San Jose. Probably a 2-3 year deal.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Giroux at LW on the 2nd or 3rd line with Patrick or Couts could play a long time, especially with a wing like Lindblom who does the dirty work and allows Giroux to play make along the perimeter. I wouldn't want him with Frost b/c if you're gonna run a smurf line, you want speed merchants, I think Giroux is best served with big forwards who do the dirty work.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
If he is 34 entering his next Contract... and wants to stay a Flyer while willing to be fair and hedge the bets for the Organization... I believe there is a way to go on that.

The Flyers and Giroux can work out a One Season high Cap Contract -- providing he is still playing at a high level -- and then for future Seadon hammer out Over 35 Contracts that are Bonus driven... allowing the Flyers to be able to not be saddled with an ultra-high contract on an Over the Hill Player... angle Giroux still gets said a premium while playing at a high level... on the Team he wants.

Of course Giroux would have to have faith in his ability to be worthy extended of high play... and not be greedy, wanting to milk out one last Mega-Deal... with whatever Team would pay on the Open Market. He would have made a bundle already, and seems a very dedicated and loyal sort... Plus we all know he will have a High Position in the Organization, if he wants one, for life.

Just a thought.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
As the team gets better and the young guys improve over the next few years, Giroux won't be required to carry so much weight so his later years should be easier on him. Even if his 5v5 scoring starts suffering at some point, his PP play should still be great. Especially when you consider he's not even declining yet.

He's currently pacing for 63 even strength points, which would be 2nd best of his entire career (3 less than his career high last year). If the PP wasn't so screwed up he'd likely be looking at nearly 100 points again this year.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I could see Giroux playing 12-13 ES minutes, 2-3 PP minutes at 35 and remaining productive offensively.
Justin Williams is still effective at 37, Sharp was effective until he was 35.
Give him O-zone starts, and keep him off the ice protecting a lead at the end of games so he doesn't take a lot of punishment.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Can we stop worrying an out what Giroux is going to do 4 and 5 years from now, and start worrying about how we are going to improve the coaching, bottom six, and development of our young D so we don’t waste anymore of his career?

He is one of the top point producers in the NHL. Let’s get him some help to win a cup now

giphy.gif

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I think Giroux can very likely have a career in his 30s comparable to Yzerman, Gilmour and Sakic, who were all 5-foot-11 cerebral centers who played at an elite level into their late 30s.

Reactions: Sawdalite

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Can we stop worrying an out what Giroux is going to do 4 and 5 years from now, and start worrying about how we are going to improve the coaching, bottom six, and development of our young D so we don’t waste anymore of his career?

He is one of the top point producers in the NHL. Let’s get him some help to win a cup now
You say that as if talking how he'll perform in 5 years is stopping the team from doing something. As if discussion is preventing action.

On top of that, it's literally been discussed ENDLESSLY, for many months now, what people on this board think should happen in the time between now and the start of next season to make this team contend as soon as possible. Ditch trash, bring up young guys, go after FAs, pursue trades, and so on. It's all that's talked about...

Last edited:
Reactions: baudib1

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
These Giroux and Carter Hart threads are really just distracting us from what this board is really about: Talking about trading Ghost and Simmonds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad