Claude Giroux: "Reasons to be Cheerful Part III"

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
Here we go with that physical maturity bull**** again. There is barely any hitting nowadays. He would be fine.
It's a big jump. Mentally, emotionally and physically. Look how the isles handled barzal. Hardly bs even for the most skilled. Not saying he cant but I think the odds are against.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well, it depends on how much stronger he is in camp, added weight but not strength this year and it showed, he should naturally bulk up a bit a year later.
Frost probably needs to be a little stronger as he doesn't play a high speed game (though he's playing faster), that is, he is a bit too deliberate which means he'll be targeted for more contact at the NHL level.

The best smurfs are fast AND ultra-quick, so they rarely get touched, and either play with big boys who do the dirty work or a couple other smurf-types so they just skate through life.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

The replies to this tweet are quite entertaining. Thought y’all would enjoy

I bet some of these idiots post on here.

465231ad4d7528d66827bf9bdf2cce0c.png

b9fc5e08077bbc407b6d6829988b6f6d.png

f9a1d28c65fc54a02090e399a30b921b.png

dd323d99f2aa329163e71283e811bada.png

614adf70cb70a979ced1c4ccb08a2282.png

638ec15ecb3aa295ec8113b3d84ba83d.png

558f36f94cf3175cb89ead78da3944eb.png

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa

The replies to this tweet are quite entertaining. Thought y’all would enjoy

Ugh, I love the Flyers so much I tortured myself reading that damn thread and all the stupid taeks from hockey-illiterate idiots.

Last spring (PO time) I traveled through Memphis, and there were a multitude of tvs in various bars turned to the Preds game. Get a load of that. Memphis, cheering for Nashville, 3 hours away, roughly 200 miles. Nashville is likely a better hockey city than Philadelphia. I'm embarrassed because I'm not ignorant of the situation. Nevermind the boo'ing, I enjoy boo'ing. (At the home opener, I boo'ed the former HC, Lappy, and AMac, lustfully so. And that was just during introductions. Bet your bottom dollar I boo'ed after watching them get shellacked by the Sharks, waste of money, and time.)

Giroux is clearly a fantastic Flyer, making a legit argument for the Mt. Rushmore of Flyers lore. (Clarke, Parent, Lindros, Giroux)

A large part of the problem is the defeatist attitude done by the opinion makers, and just blatant ineptitude from the vast majority of journalist coverage folks.

I have hate in my heart, for the idiots, the sports-talk hosts, and a little for myself for caring so much and reading that drek.

Edit- Because the shit-for-brains that don't realize how good Giroux is are so unfamiliar with the sport of hockey in general, it's too easy for them to criticize with no context. Hockey is unlike any other sport, where 1 superstar cannot win alone. The closest may be baseball, with clear comparisons for goalie to pitcher, and needing a line-up to both play defense (field) and multiple folks to score (goals or runs). Philly fans are typically stupid, so so unintelligent.

Hakroach

Veteran Presence
Jan 4, 2005
Helsinki
Ugh, I love the Flyers so much I tortured myself reading that damn thread and all the stupid taeks from hockey-illiterate idiots.

Last spring (PO time) I traveled through Memphis, and there were a multitude of tvs in various bars turned to the Preds game. Get a load of that. Memphis, cheering for Nashville, 3 hours away, roughly 200 miles. Nashville is likely a better hockey city than Philadelphia. I'm embarrassed because I'm not ignorant of the situation. Nevermind the boo'ing, I enjoy boo'ing. (At the home opener, I boo'ed the former HC, Lappy, and AMac, lustfully so. And that was just during introductions. Bet your bottom dollar I boo'ed after watching them get shellacked by the Sharks, waste of money, and time.)

Giroux is clearly a fantastic Flyer, making a legit argument for the Mt. Rushmore of Flyers lore. (Clarke, Parent, Lindros, Giroux)

A large part of the problem is the defeatist attitude done by the opinion makers, and just blatant ineptitude from the vast majority of journalist coverage folks.

I have hate in my heart, for the idiots, the sports-talk hosts, and a little for myself for caring so much and reading that drek.

Edit- Because the ****-for-brains that don't realize how good Giroux is are so unfamiliar with the sport of hockey in general, it's too easy for them to criticize with no context. Hockey is unlike any other sport, where 1 superstar cannot win alone. The closest may be baseball, with clear comparisons for goalie to pitcher, and needing a line-up to both play defense (field) and multiple folks to score (goals or runs). Philly fans are typically stupid, so so unintelligent.

Sad thing is that there are even semi-knowledgeable fans too who don't appreciate Giroux and think he is one-dimensional, offense only player. People who think only big, two-way players are worth anything. You know, the hakstols of the world.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Giroux should be a flyer for life. When I go to the games I come away impressed every time I watch him. Not because of the skill or talent but just because his overall effort is always there. I’m talking about simple plays. Board play, neutral zone, and defense.

We just see on tv when players make mistakes but we don’t see is the 100 good little plays the players make before and after their mistakes. The guy is one of the best in the league. Keep building the talent around him. He has shown he is versatile and will switch to wing. He might not be a 70 point player in three-four years but there is no way I let him walk once we get there.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Giroux is not a good defensive center at this point of his career, teams shift their lines to avoid Couts, not Giroux. Which is why I expect him back at LW next year.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Giroux is not a good defensive center at this point of his career, teams shift their lines to avoid Couts, not Giroux. Which is why I expect him back at LW next year.
So him going to LW next year will have nothing to do with having Couts, Patrick and Frost at C?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
So him going to LW next year will have nothing to do with having Couts, Patrick and Frost at C?

It will have everything to do with Couts and Patrick being big, plus defensive centers that can anchor the top two lines.
Frost probably won't be great defensively as a rookie (learning curve, will have to compensate for lack of size with speed and anticipation) but Giroux ain't gonna be the 3C.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
half a dozen HOF caliber prospects in the pool as well so even if the whole team dies in a fiery plane crash we should be hoisting the Cup in 3 years time!
Ahh, I see what you did there. Very clever. Hedging your bets.

Three years splits the two years, from being two years away. Wise move.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Never have I seen one player get shit on as much as Giroux does by the same people who go off about Giroux not being good defensively or not being elite, etc......The Flyers could have had Wayne Gretzky and the same people would shit on him as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad