Claude Giroux: "Reasons to be Cheerful Part III"

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
"It's not going to take 5 years."

- Ron Hextall

I never believe anything anyone says, I rely on "revealed preference," i.e. put your money where your mouth is.
After the Schenn trade (where Hextall took draft picks rather than NHL ready prospects) it was obvious Hextall had targeted 2020 or so.

Hextall didn't waste Giroux' prime, that was already in the cards by the time Hextall took over, Holmgren had been desperately trying to patch the team (MacDonald, Streit) but the ship had too many holes. Hextall didn't even trade any major players other than Hartnell until 2017, the Kimmo/Coburn trades were players past their prime (Coburn was on the 3rd pair in TB the year after he was acquired).

If you want to blame Hextall for not acquiring a big name UFA, uh, didn't have cap room until a couple years ago and went out and got JVR.
And other than trading Voracek/Simmonds, the only trade bait he had were draft picks, which didn't make sense on a team so far from real contention.

The real problem has been that money led them to under emphasis the draft, and it showed:
Thay had a great draft in 2003, Carter #11, Richards #24, Fraser #69
Traded 1st and 2nd in 2004, nada
2005: Downie #29
2006: Giroux #22
2007: JVR #2, Maroon #161
2008: Sbisa #19, Rinaldo #178
2009: traded 1st/2nd, nada
2010: traded 1st/2nd, nada
2011: Couts #8, Cousins #68
2012: Laughton #20, Ghost #78
2013: Morin #11, Hagg #14

So in 10 years of drafting, 3 top 9 forwards (1 traded for L Schenn), and 1 top 4 defenseman, and a few depth guys.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
I think as of today Giroux is officially tied for 20th in active scorers, and I believe everyone who is ahead of him has been in the league longer, but i could be wrong.

Unsure if the list is updated to-date but...

Active NHL Players - Points Leaders

Giroux is #21, and has the fewest games played among himself and the top 20. Patrick Kane is the only player younger (about 10 months), but has played approximately a season's more worth of games.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
He's 11th in P/GP too.

Imagine if he wasn't hurt for those two years....

Yeah... but on the upside of it... imagine if he didn't play through the injuries and had less Career Points... Even those off years of playing through and recovering from injuries were not awful. If he had, his Averages would most likely be up... but his Total numbers would be lower at the conclusion of his Career... As long as playing through injuries doesn't hurt him going forward -- and I don't imagine they would -- his Legacy will all the better for doing so... And by the way, it isn't too shabby right now. Haha

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yeah... but on the upside of it... imagine if he didn't play through the injuries and had less Career Points... Even those off years of playing through and recovering from injuries were not awful. If he had, his Averages would most likely be up... but his Total numbers would be lower at the conclusion of his Career... As long as playing through injuries doesn't hurt him going forward -- and I don't imagine they would -- his Legacy will all the better for doing so... And by the way, it isn't too shabby right now. Haha
True.

Even though he wasn’t 100% he’s been a very durable player and rarely missed any games in his career.

And people say small players are more fragile...

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Toronto? Tyler Ennis has 5 points in 19 games. Marner is probably 190+ and was #4 in the draft. Who else?

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
According to Duhatschek, Marner is "currently listed at 160 pounds."
Can you imagine how it might have taken a player of Marner’s stature – listed at 160 pounds currently – to establish himself in the old hooking-and-holding days? He wouldn’t get nearly the same open ice to navigate that he does today.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Marner was 160 lbs at the scouting combine. I doubt that 3 years later he's still 160.
Toronto has him listed at 6'0 175 lbs, but we have Konency at 5'11 175 lbs as well.
I don't believe either number. I'd say TK is close to 190 this year, and I'd suspect Marner is north of 180.

A few smurfs do make it Point, the TB guys, Gardreau, but very few.
And a lot of players who are undersized at 18 at the combine don't remain that way 4-5 years later.
You think Farabee is going to play at 169 lbs? Frost at 170?

If you're really fast and skilled you can play at 185-190 lbs and be effective, smaller than that and you're going to have some defensive limitations and have to stay out of scrums in front of the net. If your offense is good enough, that won't matter, but "good enough" has to be far above average, which is why we didn't protect Martel.

Giroux's lack of size is one reason he got moved to LW, do you really want to match him up against Matthews, MacKinnon, Kopitar, etc.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->