Pennsylvania
>career high in goals, assists, and points
>downward spiral of his career

zRA6aa0.gif

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I mean isn’t it common knowledge that he is historically on the downturn of his career based off of his age?

People make that argument of prime years all the time. We can’t just throw that out the window just because we love Claude.

Reactions: Adtar02

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I mean isn’t it common knowledge that he is historically on the downturn of his career based off of his age?

People make that argument of prime years all the time. We can’t just throw that out the window just because we love Claude.
He's approaching the decline, yeah. Nobody expects him to keep this up for 5+ years and we know sooner than later he's going to be turning the reigns over to another forward as top dog.

But to say he's already declining is definitely wrong, based off his most recent play. A player already declining doesn't do what he did last year.

Last edited:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I certainly expect G to have less points next year compared to this year considering he just pointed the 4th highest point total in the last 5 years.

But hey...now he is declining from 102 points instead from of the 58 points like certain people thought this time 1 year ago.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
People should keep in mind that, while his points are likely to decrease next year, that doesn't automatically mean he's declining. Production can vary even if quality of play stays roughly the same.

Personally, if he's scores somewhere between 80-90, I'll be happy. What's important is seeing how he looks when he plays. That's a much better indicator of how he's holding up than strictly looking at points, which could be effected by many things other than his own personal condition.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
...A nation of players have been outplayed by Sid!
It's just that Giroux is on his downcline...same as when Clarke was on his last legs...they still help the team in other ways!
Claude has had a great career in Philly and these next few years will tell if he retires with a Orange Stanley Cup!

I hope his "downcline" continues to be career best seasons.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries

I bet if you look at the scoring averages for elite set up men their point totals hold up better later into their career before they really start to decline.

@Appleyard school my dumb ass

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
My crystal ball says Claude will score 397 points this year but cant play the big matchups in the playoffs so the 397 doesnt mean much. This team is a easy two to three round winner and if not change it. To many so called stars to not be close to the cup.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I bet if you look at the scoring averages for elite set up men their point totals hold up better later into their career before they really start to decline.

@Appleyard school my dumb ass

Goal scoring tends to decline faster than assists.
5x5 scoring declines faster than PP scoring.

It's difficult to set a level from which Giroux will decline, the shift from center to LW, and playing with Couts boosted his output, but last season still looks like an anomaly, not a norm. But most scorers start declining in their early 30s.

Size does matter, when you look at the list of active scorers (players in today's era), Giroux is one of the smallest:
#5 Crosby 5'11 200
#14 Kane 5'11 177 (but he's much faster than G)
#25 Pavelski 5'11 195
#26 Pominville 6'0 180
#27 Parise 5'11 195
#28 Giroux 5'11 185
#34 Cammalleri 5'9 185
#47 Hemsky 6'0 177

I think this reflects the reality that bigger players are able to compensate as their speed/quickness declines by using their body and positioning to remain productive, albeit often at a lower level.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
My crystal ball says Claude will score 397 points this year but cant play the big matchups in the playoffs so the 397 doesnt mean much. This team is a easy two to three round winner and if not change it. To many so called stars to not be close to the cup.
Hatch....come on. 2-3 round winner when we have AMac and Hagg on defense, a poor bottom 6, a lesser coach and nothing in net? Then add in that our top 6 went up against teams with "generational" players in their top 6.

Our 2 playoff losses were to the best 2 teams in our division the last few years. It's not like we have lost to crap teams where we were SUPPOSED to win.

Was I disappointed with the playoffs? Yes. Did I think Pitt was our worst possible matchup? Also yes.

You know that I too want a better, more physical team. You said all season Hextall would make changes. He hasn't. Because he knows that a bunch of our improvements are coming from within not from trading away our top point getters. Without them, we have no playoffs anyways.

Patience is tough. If Hextall was to be making moves, it should be to ADD to this group, not remove top players. Go add a better goalie than we have for 2-3 years to bridge to Hart. Trade for a #3C if Frost is not ready. Etc...

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Goal scoring tends to decline faster than assists.
5x5 scoring declines faster than PP scoring.

It's difficult to set a level from which Giroux will decline, the shift from center to LW, and playing with Couts boosted his output, but last season still looks like an anomaly, not a norm. But most scorers start declining in their early 30s.

Size does matter, when you look at the list of active scorers (players in today's era), Giroux is one of the smallest:
#5 Crosby 5'11 200
#14 Kane 5'11 177 (but he's much faster than G)
#25 Pavelski 5'11 195
#26 Pominville 6'0 180
#27 Parise 5'11 195
#28 Giroux 5'11 185
#34 Cammalleri 5'9 185
#47 Hemsky 6'0 177

I think this reflects the reality that bigger players are able to compensate as their speed/quickness declines by using their body and positioning to remain productive, albeit often at a lower level.

So you're agreeing with my statement?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think Giroux may extend his career by the move to LW, playing few minutes and continuing to play a lot of PP1 minutes.
But he's still going to decline significantly over the next couple years, few players are close to their scoring peak at 33-34, most decline by a substantial percentage.
I think we'll see his 5x5 performance fall off first, followed in a year or two by his PP performance.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
I think Giroux may extend his career by the move to LW, playing few minutes and continuing to play a lot of PP1 minutes.
But he's still going to decline significantly over the next couple years, few players are close to their scoring peak at 33-34, most decline by a substantial percentage.
I think we'll see his 5x5 performance fall off first, followed in a year or two by his PP performance.

So you agree that elite set up guys are able to maintain a higher level of efficiency later into their career in comparison to other players of other styles?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Generally going of previous players of Giroux's quality you would expect him to be a 60+ point player until his age 34 season from a statistical perspective.

It is rare-ish without serious injuries for once elite players to really fall off before then on a per game basis.

Reactions: Rebels57

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries

So you agree that elite set up guys are able to maintain a higher level of efficiency later into their career in comparison to other players of other styles?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
My brother called me this morning to complain about how unappreciated Giroux is.

That was his sole purpose.
No kidding.

The national media and team Canada give him zero respect and there's even a part of the Flyers fanbase that doesn't realize how insanely good he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad