Claude Giroux: "Reasons to be Cheerful Part III"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
I know you have alternative opinions on the historical perception of Flyers players, but very few outside of yourself would say that Propp or Barber had better Flyers careers than Lindros.

I don't know about my having alternative opinions yada yada yada... but if you read what I said, I said that basing the greatest of all time Flyers was IMO on a long period of time in a full career.

Just my opinion... and everybody has theirs.

That said... with agreement that 88 was great but was not able to sustain a long career due to injuries... can I safely say that you did not see Barber play live in his prime?... How about Propp?

They were great and exceptional Players... but Giroux IMO has a shot to overtake them... Lindros sadly do not.

Anyway... I'm not so sure many people who saw Barber and Propp Game in and Game out would not agree that they were two of the greatest Skaters in Flyers History... the limited career of Lindros is open to personal opinion.

... Would you suggest that Lindberg had a greater Flyers career than Parent and Hextall based on his talent on a limited career? Sort of the same thing as I view it.

Again JMO

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
I belive that if he win Cup with us, he will be in the same tier with Clarke.

Careful big fella.

Clarke captained the Flyers to two Cups and even more SCFs ... but even more than that, his stats... adjusted or not.... were monster.

I honestly believe that those who know Clarke through his Stats and legend will never truly appreciate what Clarke really was... and to a lesser extent, I believe that Barber, Propp and even Howe also fit into that... although Howe's Stats compared to other Flyers D-Men makes it a lot easier to comprehend.

Reactions: JXC

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Kopitar I understand but not Hall or MacKinnon. Of those three I'm voting Kopitar but it is absurd that Giroux is not a finalist.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hall had a bigger impact on NJ. Same with McKinnon on Colorado.

I think when comparing point totals, goals > total assists, but not primary assists.

I'd much rather have Kopitar than Giroux, Hall is more dangerous though not as reliable at this point in his career.
Give Hall credit, where Nico was MIA, Hall stepped up in the playoffs, though his stats were PP padded.
MacKinnon had 27 ES goals, but E +/- +0.3 which is a red flag.

Kopitar is in a category of his own, top defensive forward, 17 minutes ES, 2:53 PP, 2:10 PK (4.0 GA/60)
30 year old forward playing top D-man minutes with 28-35 63 ES scoring.
He was hands down the best player in the league last year.
Does everything well.

madlee

Mar 7, 2015
I'm glad that this year it does seem merit based, but there were several top players and honestly none really was head and shoulders above the others.

Everyone wants to crown McDavid, but he was only 6 points above the next player, hardly worth labeling the "best."

I do think that Hall and Kopitar are slam dunks. Both are the engine that makes their team go. Remove them and the team drops to the cellar. It can also be argued that Giroux and MacKinnon are also similarly responsible for their team's success.

McDavid is a tier below these four. McDavid has Draisaitl. None of the above have a similarly talented player on their team. If you remove McDavid from the roster, how different would the Oilers season have been? Probably not much. Remove any of the previous four above and none of their teams make the playoffs.

I would be fine with either Hall or Kopitar winning it.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Giroux being snubbed is no big surprise. Having a Selke finalist on his team probably worked against him.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Taylor Hall can dig into a bag of dicks and eat his fill.

giphy.gif

Muevelo

Apr 7, 2018
No but the Flyers did have 3 other players over 60 points. At least, NJ and LaK can't say that.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If that suddenly matters then we need to go back and take awards away from almost every winner for every award.

"No Selke for you, your team was too good"

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Ehh. Without those 3, those 3 teams don't sniff the Playoffs. Smart choices.
I don't really have a problem with Giroux not making the final list. There are a lot of great players having great seasons this year. Heck, McDavid and Crosby are two of the best players in the league and they aren't in. Giroux's case is compromised by how good Couturier was. If G was a C on a different line, who knows. Marchand could probably have a case too. No biggie.

madlee

Mar 7, 2015
I don't really have a problem with Giroux not making the final list. There are a lot of great players having great seasons this year. Heck, McDavid and Crosby are two of the best players in the league and they aren't in. Giroux's case is compromised by how good Couturier was. If G was a C on a different line, who knows. Marchand could probably have a case too. No biggie.

My only complaint is that it usually goes to the point leader whose team makes the playoffs, not actually who is the mvp to their team. They move the goal posts.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Playing with Couturier shouldn't make a difference, seeing as MacKinnon is nominated...

Two most common linemates:

Rantanen - 84 points
Landeskog - 62 points

Couturier - 76 points
Konecny - 47 points

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Apparently the Hart Trophy is now defined as "best players on a mediocre team that just squeaks into the playoffs and isn't the Philadelphia Flyers."

The logic for excluding all of McDavid, Giroux, Kucherov ... there is none.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
Dave Isaac had an informal poll on Twitter yesterday, asking where fans rank Giroux among the Flyers greats. I think most had him too low, I said. No. 5 (behind Clarke, Lindros, Parent, Howe).

Isaac said he thinks he absolutely can end up in top 3 and that no player with his peak and prime has ever not made the Hall. Said that he compares favorably with Modano and Sundin (based on era adjustments); that feels about right to me.

Appleyard has been saying this exact thing for multiple years now.

Reactions: kelmitchell
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->