Claude Giroux: Part "Fire, Air, Water, Earth"

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
With better/as good underlying individual figures as the last two years... the odds are very minimal that he will not increase his EV scoring massively by years end.

Really depends on whether he stays with Frost, and how Frost holds up and develops.
That line could be dominant or frustrating.

At times they look like the most explosive line the Flyers have fielded in decades.
At times they get hemmed in the D-zone and physically taken off the puck.

I think the key is the Hayes line, reason is around the league there is more emphasis on forechecking speedy but undersized scoring lines before they get to the O-zone where they can score quickly, but if you have to respect two other lines you can't focus on shutting down the Frost line.

The fourth line is a different matter, a lot of HCs either match their own 4th line or their top scoring line, and this is where JVR can be an issue, while he gives you a scoring edge against an opposing 4th line, he's a liablity matched up against a top line.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Whole team shooting percentage is low, if they were just at league average that would be about 8 more goals so far, which likely means a handful of ES points for the guys involved--Giroux and Couturier almost certainly on a few--and probably a couple more regulation wins. And I don't think that low S% is because they take fewer high-danger shots than anyone else, though there's probably some stat out there to look that up.

I mean, a lot of it (including G lack of assists) is down to JvRs sh%.

Everyone else now (sans probably Farabee) is in the expected ~standard deviation kind of area for shot %. Yeh, Giroux and Couturier likely increase by ~2% each by years end, Lindblom and Voracek likely come down by 1-2%...

but JvR is at less than HALF of what should be expected. He should have 8-10 goals by now. He has 4.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I wonder if some of JVR's problem is different usage.

He seems to be playing just outside the blue paint, instead of a few feet away from the net, and the angles and reactions are different, as are the opportunities.

He's a good sniper from 5-10' with a quick shot, but playing the "Simmonds" role helps his teammates (setting screens) but may make it harder for him to score (at least until he gets comfortable in that role).

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I wonder if some of JVR's problem is different usage.

He seems to be playing just outside the blue paint, instead of a few feet away from the net, and the angles and reactions are different, as are the opportunities.

He's a good sniper from 5-10' with a quick shot, but playing the "Simmonds" role helps his teammates (setting screens) but may make it harder for him to score (at least until he gets comfortable in that role).

He has had great shot locations. And tbh I think most likely it is just a slump that he will break out of with a silly tear at some point.

Reactions: Striiker

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I decided to post my favorite thread again. (usernames left out on purpose, although some of them holding similar crusades with different player today)

What happened to Giroux?
I’ve said forever that Ghost is a defensemen version of Giroux, and damnnnnmmnnn do these posts make that statement look more accurate than ever.:laugh:

People see what they want to see. If a player isn’t scoring suddenly they’re slow and can’t skate. Completely imaginary flaws that get echoed throughout the board. Giroux is still an absolute monster and there’s no reason to think that’s going to change in the near future.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
*Just going to re-post this here and add some extra info to the bottom*

Giroux is easily playing at a level deserving of well over point per game scoring.

This mixture of bad luck, the PP nonsense, and teammates whiffing on chances is the perfect storm to screw him over.

Let's look at some numbers for context.

---------------------------------------------

In these first 36 games he has...

11 goals
13 assists

pacing for

25 goals
29 assists
54 total points

In the other 9 years of this decade, he's averaged 24.7 goals per 82 games. Meaning he'd end up 0.3 goals over his average.
(This includes the year severely hurt by injury/surgery in 2016-2017... if you take out that year he averages 26.1 goals per 82 games over 8 of the past 9 seasons)

In the other 9 years of this decade, he's averaged 56.4 assists per 82 games. Meaning he'd end up 27.4 assists under his average.

So, over the past 9 years, he averages 81 total points per 82 games. Again, right now he's pacing for 54 total.
(And don't forget that this 81 point per 82 game average includes that injury ruined year... if you take out that year he averages 84.3 points per 82 games over 8 of the past 9 seasons)

The fact that he only has 2 more assists than goals is crazy too, since he typically has 29.5 more assists than goals each year. Right now he's pacing to have a goal/assist difference of 4...

--------------------------------

As far as advanced stats go...

The previous 2 seasons (187 points in 164 games - 1.14p/pg)...
CF%: 52.48
CF/60: 61.43
CF%rel: 5.01
xGF%: 51.90
xGF/60: 2.44
xGF%rel: 4.46
On-ice SH%: 10.58

This year so far (24 points in 36 games - 0.66p/pg)...
CF%: 55.19
CF/60: 64.94
CF%rel: 5.12
xGF%: 52.49
xGF/60: 2.58
xGF%rel: 3.77
On-ice SH%: 7.31

As you can see, almost all of those are better this year than in previous years. Shooting percentage is the key difference.

Last edited:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
*Another repost from another thread, for record keeping purposes*

Giroux's literally creating scoring chances at a higher rate this year than the previous two years.

At 5v5...

CF/60

2019-2020: 64.20
2018-2019: 63.81
2017-2018: 59.03

xGF/60
2019-2020: 2.62
2018-2019: 2.36
2017-2018: 2.52

HDCF/60
2019-2020: 11.50
2018-2019: 10.43
2017-2018: 11.08

In every category, he's doing better this year than each of the previous two years.

It just comes down to bad luck and teammates flubbing chances at 5v5. Then the PP is obviously 100% outside of his control too.
His lower scoring simply isn't his fault at all.

You can see that reflected in his point totals too. He's doing just fine as far as goals are concerned, it's assists that are severely lacking and that's not his fault. He's setting people up just as much as always, but teammates just aren't finishing.

Through 40 games:
12 goals (pacing for 24.6 goals, 2.6 more than last year)
16 assists (pacing for 32.8 assists, 31.2 less than last year)
28 points (pacing for 57.4 points, 27.6 less than last year)

Reactions: Tripod

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Welp... Back to Center once again... and with a great result in at least the short run... We'll see what develops... stay put and play well, back to Wing if doesn't continue... or even if he does continue to play well at Center? Who knows?

BTW; saw Giroux at the STM Meet the Team Event again... as always, G was so pleasant, with a smile on his face and making constant eye contact... Had to think that Briere mentoring him in his early years had to have had so much to do with the way he is today with Fans. Briere was, and probably will always be the best with Fans... But damn it if G isn't giving him a run for his money. Giroux deserves everything he gets in life, IMO... Seems to be a great guy off the Ice... but appears like a ************ to play against on the Ice.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Welp... Back to Center once again... and with a great result in at least the short run... We'll see what develops... stay put and play well, back to Wing if doesn't continue... or even if he does continue to play well at Center? Who knows?

BTW; saw Giroux at the STM Meet the Team Event again... as always, G was so pleasant, with a smile on his face and making constant eye contact... Had to think that Briere mentoring him in his early years had to have had so much to do with the way he is today with Fans. Briere was, and probably will always be the best with Fans... But damn it if G isn't giving him a run for his money. Giroux deserves everything he gets in life, IMO... Seems to be a great guy off the Ice... but appears like a ************ to play against on the Ice.
I remember seeing a video with Giroux and two other NHL players where one of them (I think Seguin) said that Giroux was the nicest person to him off the ice but such a dirty little player on the ice (but it was said in a positive way).

I’ll see if I can find it...

Edit: Here it is, at 2:13

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
I remember seeing a video with Giroux and two other NHL players where one of them (I think Seguin) said that Giroux was the nicest person to him off the ice but such a dirty little player on the ice (but it was said in a positive way).

I’ll see if I can find it...

Edit: Here it is, at 2:13

That's exactly what I thought... That was a while back too... I think he seasoned well since. Haha... He seems to smile ar times on the Ice, but you can tell from the reaction of the Opposition that he pissed them off with what he said.

This is much like Bobbh Clarke was... a choir boy that would break your leg if it came between his winning or not... I forget that Soviet Player in the Super Series--or whatever it was called--Coach told Clarke that the Players was killing them and to go out there and take him out... Clarke legally-ish obliged... took him out of the Series... Clarke and the NHL Team came back to win ths Series on Russian Soil. Different age and times... but I could see G being like that if it meant winning.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
This season just lowered his odds of getting into the HOF one day sadly. Hopefully something happens to bump the odds back up.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
We just have to hope he stops listening to the staff or there's some firings because without a working PP his points will obviously suffer.

I have to assume that at some point his horrible luck with assists at 5v5 will turn around too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad