Claude Giroux: Part "Fire, Air, Water, Earth"

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
The shootout is atrocious, though I can appreciate how skill can shine through.

Take the SO goal last night. Giroux made things much more difficult for himself by slowing things down in front of the net. He allowed Holtby to set and cover all the gaps. So what does Giroux do? He decides to mindf*** all of us with a perfectly placed snipe, only a tick over Holtby's glove.

Reactions: Striiker

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The dumb lines and PP setup are especially annoying when they screw with Girouxs production. His play continues to be one of the best parts of watching the team and was one of the biggest things that got us through the Hakstol era with our minds intact.

He deserves so many more points, based on his quality of play, but he’s been extremely unlucky with teammates not finishing and getting very little help from linemates as far as possession goes. The broken PP is obvious, but playing with either JVR or Hayes all year has been a big issue too. That’s why that Couturier line should be split up, so he can play with at least one of those three and actually have something to work with, because right now his ability is being wasted.

I love Farabee, but let’s be real, he’s not currently at a level where he can take advantage of Girouxs play and consistently produce with him... and then JVR adds basically nothing to that line and seems to kill possession regularly.

Giroux+Couturier being a duo and Lindblom+TK being a duo would basically give us two top lines, plus it would probably help elevate the play of both Farabee and Hayes. If things keep going the way they are, Girouxs scoring isn’t going to get even close to where it belongs and I shouldn’t have to tell anyone how important that is to the teams overall success. Couturier shutting down opponents top scorers is massive, right? Well us shutting down our own top scorer is equally as massive of a problem.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly

Just noticed it. Very strange. I mean, I doubt it has much/anything to do with the coach!

Hak: So, G, I know you've been fairly successful with these shootouts, and everyone knows you know what you're doing...but what my coaching pre-supposes is...what if you don't?
G:
Hak:
The shell, G! It's all about the shell. That's how you get at least a point. So, I want you to shell during the shootout. Literally, don't even touch the puck.
G:
Hak:
G:
Hak:
You want to get at least a point right?
G: But, Dean, we already have a point at that point!
Hak:
G:
Shouldn't we be going for a the W?
Hak: What? No! Too risky! We eat our beats, play with some snot and balls, and shell. That's the North Dakota way! That's the Hak way!
G: So, you don't want me to score???
Hak: YES! I mean no. Don't score. Just shell. It's all about the shell.
G:
Hak:
G:
So, I don't try to score?
Hak: It's clicking, isn't it? The genius thing about it is that it's so counterintuitive, the other team will never see it coming! Just like when the net is empty and I bench all of my best players! Wait, did you call me Dean?

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Let's just say **** GARY and leave it at all Garys to be safe. It's the only way to be sure.
You're a dick. Dornhoefer is a good dude, and doesn't deserve any flack. You're being lazy, you know the target of your ire, no need to concern uninvolved parties.

#moderatorabuse
#GaryOldmandidnothingwrong(?)hockeyrelated

Reactions: Beef Invictus

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
I decided to post my favorite thread again. (usernames left out on purpose, although some of them holding similar crusades with different player today)

What happened to Giroux?

The Flyers would do well to make a move with Giroux this year or offseason.
He is a very valuable player and could put teams over the top, he's just not an alpha dog, isn't particularly good defensively, is prone to long power outages, and doesn't seem to inspire his teammates. The Flyers need those things in a captain.

A great return would've been likely in the pre cap era. Nowadays there just aren't many teams that could afford his contract without completely crippling their salary cap situation.

I had forgotten about that. How many years are left on it?

Like Ghost, Giroux struggles in the D-zone because of size limitations, he's had too many hooking and slashing penalties, I think because that was his style when he came up, to use the stick to compensate for size, but the league is calling those penalties tighter the last few years.

I think if you accept Giroux's limitations, you won't get frustrated, if you expect him to do some of the things the other elite centers do with their size and speed, you'll be disappointed. He's more dependent on the surrounding cast of players due to his physical limitations, but given the right players he can make them better.

G's legs are shot.
You can see it in his offense and defense. He just doesn't skate like he used to. Still has the hands and vision.
He's 29 and for a little guy has played a ton of hard minutes. Takes a toll.

The "C" on his sweater is weighing him down
I would rather see the Flyers take the captain title away from Giroux.....give it to Wayne Simmonds. Simmer seems to be their most vocal team leader, and by removing the responsibilities of the captaincy from Giroux, perhaps he'd go back to simply playing the game and having some fun again.

At this point Giroux is declining. -7 to 10 pts on yearly basis. He may have a great year here an there but he won't be 90-80 pts player.

He's never going to dominate the way he did in his prime, and will probably be an overpay his last couple years, but I think he'll remain effective on the PP and can be OK 5x5 with the right wingers.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Of course context matters, Giroux was struggling at center, and as we saw this year, is not an elite player at center anymore and hasn't been for years.
It's no surprise his bounceback came at LW with Couts at center.
This season he only has 9 ES points in 25 games. A 30 point pace. That's what happens when he gets moved from LW with Couts.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Of course context matters, Giroux was struggling at center, and as we saw this year, is not an elite player at center anymore and hasn't been for years.
It's no surprise his bounceback came at LW with Couts at center.
This season he only has 9 ES points in 25 games. A 30 point pace. That's what happens when he gets moved from LW with Couts.

With better/as good underlying individual figures as the last two years... the odds are very minimal that he will not increase his EV scoring massively by years end.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
With better/as good underlying individual figures as the last two years... the odds are very minimal that he will not increase his EV scoring massively by years end.

Whole team shooting percentage is low, if they were just at league average that would be about 8 more goals so far, which likely means a handful of ES points for the guys involved--Giroux and Couturier almost certainly on a few--and probably a couple more regulation wins. And I don't think that low S% is because they take fewer high-danger shots than anyone else, though there's probably some stat out there to look that up.

Reactions: Appleyard

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad