Claude Giroux: Part "Fire, Air, Water, Earth"

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I think Giroux will end up passing Bobby Clarke in career points (1210).

He's obviously aging well so far, and has been remarkably durable.

Scoring in the NHL is on the rise, so even as he declines, it's possible that his points won't drop dramatically. At this point, his best two-year stretch in points have been the past two years. It's a good bet his best 4-/5-year stretches will also start with his age 30 season.

He's such a smart player he will be able to get by when his physical skills fade. Yzerman, Gilmour and Sakic are all centers who were roughly his size (5-11, 180-190 lbs) and skill level (to be sure, I think Claude is probably just a notch below them) who played very well into their late 30s. Giroux could probably score 30 pp points a year until he's 40.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Proposal: - Galchenyuk+ for Giroux
Giroux's ppg pace has been falling for 4 straight years now. Add in the age factor and Berge Vin would be an imbecile to pull off such a trade even one on one.

Proposal: - Turris + White + 1st for Giroux
Giroux has been declining in each of the last 4 years. There is no reason to expect that to change. He will be 30 next season..there is absolutely no reason why Ottawa should give Turris and 2 big future pieces when Turris is younger and just as good as Giroux right now.

Big pass.​

Proposal: - Pacioretty + 1st rd pick for Giroux
I can't speak for Philly, as I'm not that familiar with their needs and financial structure, but...no-way the Habs would ever do that. They wouldn't even offer Pacioretty straight-up for Giroux.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Someone needs to bump the posts from THIS BOARD where people wanted to trade Giroux.

It's expected that random other fans wouldn't properly evaluate him, but Flyers fans have no excuse.

Reactions: kudymen

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
For G to make the HOF, he needs to move back to LW and stay there the next few years.
At LW he can put up a number of 60-80 points seasons.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
For G to make the HOF, he needs to move back to LW and stay there the next few years.
At LW he can put up a number of 60-80 points seasons.

He should really already be a HHoFer. He is better than 40%-50% of fwds in there through his prime and peak.

If he does not get in he will have had the best peak+prime of ANY fwd not in since expansion.

There are quite a lot of players in from the 70's, 80's and early 90's who have not much business being there because voters were fooled by high scoring eras.

Players with better Hart voting record not in: None
Players with better PPG finishes record not in: None
Players with better Point finishes record not in: None

Genuinely... none.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
He should really already be a HHoFer. He is better than 40%-50% of fwds in there through his prime and peak.

If he does not get in he will have had the best peak+prime of ANY fwd not in since expansion.

There are quite a lot of players in from the 70's, 80's and early 90's who have not much business being there because voters were fooled by high scoring eras.

Players with better Hart voting record not in: None
Players with better PPG finishes record not in: None
Players with better Point finishes record not in: None

Genuinely... none.

Bernie Federko is in. By that standard, Giroux is a mortal lock.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Bernie Federko is in. By that standard, Giroux is a mortal lock.

Federko is not even bottom ~10 guys in either post-expansion. (I know the comment is partially not amount him as a player!)

I mean:

Gartner, Gillies, Shutt, Nieuwendyk, Andreychuk, Ciccarelli, Anderson, Neely, McDonald, Gainey, Carbonneau, Barber, Mullen.

Are probably the 13 weakest post expansion inductions.

Most of them were ~Doug Weight/Milan Hejduk level players who either accumulated in high scoring eras or were on monster teams.

Turgeon, Roenick, Fleury, Mogilny... even LeClair... should be in over most of them in terms of actually how good they were vs their peers in the NHL.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Federko is not even bottom ~10 guys in either post-expansion. (I know the comment is partially not amount him as a player!)

I mean:

Gartner, Gillies, Shutt, Nieuwendyk, Andreychuk, Ciccarelli, Anderson, Neely, McDonald, Gainey, Carbonneau, Barber, Mullen.

Most of them were ~Doug Weight/Milan Hejduk level players who either accumulated in high scoring eras or were on monster teams.

Turgeon, Roenick, Fleury, Mogilny... even LeClair... should be in over most of them in terms of actually how good they were vs their peers in the NHL.

I saw Federko play in person approximately 14 billion times and I would take every single one of those guys before him. But you're right, it's mostly because he's a stupid drunken slob.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

I mean:

Easily the most underappreciated Flyer in the city's history, and has to be top 3, top 5 at worst, for most underappreciated athlete in the city of all time. Franchise level talent and probably higher, and he gets treated like hes a disappointing late round pick. Sad, really.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Easily the most underappreciated Flyer in the city's history, and has to be top 3, top 5 at worst, for most underappreciated athlete in the city of all time. Franchise level talent and probably higher, and he gets treated like hes a disappointing late round pick. Sad, really.
tRaDE gIROUX

hAVeNt WoN a SeRiEs iN yEaRs

bAd LeAdeRsHip

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad