"Classy" acts by fans

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Oilers fans giving Craig Anderson a standing ovation after playing once his wife's cancer prognosis came out. Also for Cam Talbot for staying on the ice to show Anderson respect.

ItchyScratchy77

Jul 1, 2016
Winnipeg
How about the "Laine's better" chant that I incited. Is that classy or simply awesome? :sarcasm:

Teemu's first game back in Winnipeg. Now that was a classy show of appreciation!

onlyalad

The bounce
Jan 13, 2008
For me it is more the Tannerhead movement in LA in 2011. Tanner was a fan dying of cancer. He was in need of a bone marrow transplant. He could no longer go to games so people started putting his face on a stick to represent him being there. The team got wind of it and allowed "Be the Match" to register people at the last game of the season. So many people were in line for this young man that the line went around the concourse for the entire game. He wasn't a player or anyone special. Just another fan in the seats that everyone came together for.
And no he didn't ever see his team raise the cup

spiny norman

Administrator
Apr 1, 2006
Winnipeg, MB
Copied this from youtube ...

March 2, 2010 -- Buffalo Sabres vs. Pittsburgh Penguins.

Olympians for both teams were announced before the game, with Ryan Miller drawing the loudest and most sustained cheering. The Buffalo Sabres goaltender received a standing ovation in Pittsburgh for leading the United States to an Olympic silver medal. The cheers were noticeably louder than those given to the Penguins' own Sidney Crosby.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Random personal one...

4 years ago I was trying to get a ticket to the Bruins/Jets game up in Winnipeg.

Posted on the Jets board about 2 weeks before the game to see if anyone had a spare they were looking to sell. Sadly didn't get a response.

The day before the game got a message from a poster who had an extra ticket. Despite being willing to pay, she gave it to me for free.

Was an incredible experience up North. :)

Rayban*

Apr 21, 2013
Ottawa
Hello, everybody.
I'm a fairly new hockey fan, so the best I've seen so far is the likes of Crosby, Ovie etc.. In a recent thread I saw Laine compared to Mario Lemieux, so I thought I really should go back and see what the fuss was about. Well, he was obviously a scrub who wouldn't make it today!:sarcasm:
(I mean really!:amazed:)
The thing, though, that really got me was the rapturous reception he got in Philadelphia when he came back.
Would that happen today? If Crosby or Giroux went down and came back the way Mario did, would the fan bases cheer the way Philly fans did then?
I'm looking for other instances of hockey fans being great, gracious and "classy" towards another team's players, because it's wonderful.
(Trying to get my friends to follow hockey in Australia ain't easy!)

Wasn't Mario's return in Toronto?

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
Robitaille's last game was in San Jose, Sharks fans gave him a nice ovation at the end.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
I have to give the Flyers credit here.

1) When Lemieux came to Philly after his final radiation treatment, the Flyers can cheered the hell out of his arrival and gave him a huge standing ovation prior to the anthems.

2) Flyers fan gave Mario a 2nd standing ovation on his last game before retirement. Mario Lemieux might be the only thing out of Pittsburgh that can earn a standing ovation twice from Philly. And Philly hockey fans knew what Mario meant to the game.

Really powerful and cool hockey moments.

Also huge props to the ovation given to Anderson this year by EDM. That was great to watch.

As a Pens fans came to say both of these. The Flyers rivalry with both players, past and present, and the fans is a rivalry born in blood... But these moments showed the humanity in the game, even between rivals. Also I am a full grown ass man and watching the honoring for the Boston marathon makes me have to fight the tears back, simply awesome.

Absolutely hate your ****ing team Philly, but you guys have a huge damn heart. Props to that.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I believe it was Toronto visiting Nashville when the mic cut out during O Canada. The fans there finished O Canada for the singer.

EDIT: Apparently I had it backwards. Either way, it was a good move by the fans.

Last edited:

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
I believe it was Toronto visiting Nashville when the mic cut out during O Canada. The fans there finished O Canada for the singer.

That's backwards. Toronto had the mic cut out and the fans finished the American anthem, Nashville showed thanks by singing O'Canada for Toronto.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com

Not as powerful as some of the other ones here, but when Mats Sundin left the Leafs in 2008 it wasn't the cleanest break. Fans were resentful that he refused to waive his NTC at the trade deadline and then left as a UFA. However, when he returned to the ACC for the first time the fans were pure class.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad