Classic Wrestling Discussion: Part III & Wrestler Poll

Which 5 wrestlers do you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I knew Tensai would never get over. I remember my friend told me Albert was coming back and I scoffed. He said he had gone to Japan and had an awesome run there, and I said he'll still get nowhere in the WWE.

A little later, fans were shouting "Albert!" at him.

Reactions: KIRK

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
yeah I should have clarified WWF/E. Haven’t seen his work there but I remember him getting great reviews. Wasn’t he teamed with tomko or something?

Yes he tagged with Tomko and then Karl Anderson as Bad Intentions. The run with Anderson in particular was good. He was a solid wrestler but realistically he wasn't going to get anywhere in WWE. Umaga level was probably the ceiling.

I knew Tensai would never get over. I remember my friend told me Albert was coming back and I scoffed. He said he had gone to Japan and had an awesome run there, and I said he'll still get nowhere in the WWE.

A little later, fans were shouting "Albert!" at him.

Yes it was very predictable that it wouldn't work. Tensai was straight out of the mid 90s if not earlier, especially his Power Rangers style headgear. Thinking of that, a fantasy tag team of Tensai with Hakushi could be decent filler for a tag division.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Yes he tagged with Tomko and then Karl Anderson as Bad Intentions. The run with Anderson in particular was good. He was a solid wrestler but realistically he wasn't going to get anywhere in WWE. Umaga level was probably the ceiling.

Yes it was very predictable that it wouldn't work. Tensai was straight out of the mid 90s if not earlier, especially his Power Rangers style headgear. Thinking of that, a fantasy tag team of Tensai with Hakushi could be decent filler for a tag division.
Anyone remember that they were going to give Kenzo Suzuki the gimmick as Hirohito until someone clued them in on just how incredibly offensive it would be (particularly in Japan)?

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Anyone remember that they were going to give Kenzo Suzuki the gimmick as Hirohito until someone clued them in on just how incredibly offensive it would be (particularly in Japan)?

they literally were calling Mark Henry a silverback gorilla on tv until Mark Henry was like “hey fellas just a heads up but this is quite racist”

Which honestly would be a sick gimmick if it wasn’t so gosh darn racist

HandsomeHollywood

Brooke Shields ain't got nothin'
Mar 20, 2017
Steiner just squashed HHH in an arm wrestling competition. Little does he know how badly he’s about to be sandbagged at the rumble
This was peak dirt bag Tri. I remember during that time period and for years after, the angle was used to bury Steiner. People, including me, bought it.

It wasn't until years later when I saw it for what it was. Triple H sandbagging Steiner. For a guy who fancies himself as one of the best wrestlers ever, he can't carry anyone to a great match like the other greats can.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Triple H vs Steiner pose off is definitely most homoerotic thing WWE ever did (not that there is anything wrong with that)

just a couple jacked dudes oiling up and blasting bi’s

4FFC5516-204B-44DD-95CE-8286726C19CD.jpeg

HandsomeHollywood

Mar 20, 2017
Triple H vs Steiner pose off is definitely most homoerotic thing WWE ever did (not that there is anything wrong with that)

just a couple jacked dudes oiling up and blasting bi’s
I actually really like segments like this. Very old school and injects some personality into the competitors. Warriors vs Rude is another good posedown. I also liked Warrior and Dino Bravo having a bench press-off. Hell, I even enjoyed the concept of the Lashley/Strowman arm wrestling challenge. Good gaga to help build to matches without people having to eat pins.

Reactions: les Habs

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I actually really like segments like this. Very old school and injects some personality into the competitors. Warriors vs Rude is another good posedown. I also liked Warrior and Dino Bravo having a bench press-off. Hell, I even enjoyed the concept of the Lashley/Strowman arm wrestling challenge. Good gaga to help build to matches without people having to eat pins.

The Warrior vs Rude posedown was really good. These segments can work. Not during Tri's reign of terror though.

No memory of that, but a reference to Japan's WW2 era emperor sounds about right in what I assume was a Vince idea.

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
I don't remember anything about an offensive gimmick, but I do remember Suzuki was supposed to debut with a huge push and feud with Benoit for the world title in 2004. Instead he became a comedy character.

This was also around the same time that there was a stable with Tajiri, Jimmy Yang (then as Akio) and I think the third guy was named Sakada. They were supposed to be called the yakuza or at least imply that, but Tajiri warned McMahon against that, because he didn't want to offend the real yakuza.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
First Nathan Jones vignette aired. If only he could work....

HUGE and an interesting back story to say the least

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
First Nathan Jones vignette aired. If only he could work....

HUGE and an interesting back story to say the least

You're moving into an era riddled with big muscular stiffs. Mid 2000s WWE was so bad in terms of new talent.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
You're moving into an era riddled with big muscular stiffs. Mid 2000s WWE was so bad in terms of new talent.

yup, Morgan/Snitsky/Tomko/Jones/Heidenreich among others should be making debuts soon

this is when they stop building long term superstars. It’s basically Edge/Cena/Batista/Orton from here and then that’s it forever

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
yup, Morgan/Snitsky/Tomko/Jones/Heidenreich among others should be making debuts soon

this is when they stop building long term superstars. It’s basically Edge/Cena/Batista/Orton from here and then that’s it forever

You're right there. Unfortunately I have a strong dislike for 3/4 of them, so I haven't liked WWE nearly as much since. The mid 2000s is sort of the last gasp of Vince's ideal of big stiffs who behave in a cartoony manner.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Yup def can’t do that today lol

Kinda sad watching that in hindsight knowing what ended up happening to Chyna in real life

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
That video makes me disappointed that we never got a Rock-Michaels feud. Around that time (maybe a few months later after Rock moved out of the IC picture) or during the Hollywood Rock period it could have been great.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
That video makes me disappointed that we never got a Rock-Michaels feud. Around that time (maybe a few months later after Rock moved out of the IC picture) or during the Hollywood Rock period it could have been great.

the rock hates Shawn Michaels guts iirc

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
the rock hates Shawn Michaels guts iirc

Yes apparently that's true. I imagine that it still would have happened at some point if they'd actually spent a long time in the company together, but in reality their opportunities were fairly limited.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Yes apparently that's true. I imagine that it still would have happened at some point if they'd actually spent a long time in the company together, but in reality their opportunities were fairly limited.

I think I read during that time when the Rock was starting or getting the at push, Michaels pushed HHH to be the next star so they put in Vince’s ear not to push Rock as much as HHH.

Also the Rock had support of the Hart family and they helped him through out his early struggles..keep in mind this was during Bret and Shawn’s real life feud so the politics were strong here.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I've gone back and been watching WWF & WCW in order. Right now I'm at 1993.

So I'm watching Monday Night RAW, Superstars of Wrestling, and WCW Saturday Night chronologically. It brings me back and I'm enjoying it very much.

I'm now in April, where WWF will start to set up their first ever King of the Ring PPV and WCW is a month away from Slamboree '93.

That era does have its fair share of goofy shit. :laugh:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I've gone back and been watching WWF & WCW in order. Right now I'm at 1993.

So I'm watching Monday Night RAW, Superstars of Wrestling, and WCW Saturday Night chronologically. It brings me back and I'm enjoying it very much.

I'm now in April, where WWF will start to set up their first ever King of the Ring PPV and WCW is a month away from Slamboree '93.

That era does have its fair share of goofy shit. :laugh:

I really like WCW Saturday Night of that era, though I remember watching it a week late on Saturday mornings when it aired in my area for some reason. There's definitely no shortage of goofy stuff on either side but it at least suits the general tone of the shows.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

HandsomeHollywood

Mar 20, 2017
My only gripe with early 90s WCW Saturday Night is with the constant appearances of Greg Valentine. That guys gets old after a single match, let alone one a week. Aside from the famed dog collar match, I've never seen a Greg Valentine match where I liked Greg Valentine at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad