Classic Wrestling Discussion (as in non-current): Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Mr. T - looking to his profile on Wikipedia, he was a really tough guy. How good was he as a wrestler?

Not very good judging by Wrestlemania, and I've heard wrestling people claim a few times that he wasn't that tough either. Multiple people say that Roddy Piper could have pretty easily beaten T up when they were feuding going into Wrestlemanias, and when you see their crappy face off you can see that Piper, a golden gloves winning boxer and bigger than T, very likely could have.

Say Hey Kid

NY was his town & it always would be
Dec 10, 2007
Should they be WWE HoFers?

Tazz
Bam Bam Bigelow
Paul Heyman
King Kong Bundy
Cyndi Lauper

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Cyndi Lauper

It amazes me of all the celebrity Hall of Famers, she never got nominated. in 1984/85 she was a huge part of getting the WWF exposure in the mainstream, which is more then some guy doing a 1 time thing. I guess because she is not as big a star anymore that they overlook her.

Given that she was at the ceremony for Wendy Richter I am guessing it's not because she doesn't want it.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

Tazz
Bam Bam Bigelow
Paul Heyman
King Kong Bundy
Cyndi Lauper

Only two I can really speak to are Tazz and Heyman. Not sure you can put Tazz in for his WWE work alone but it seems like they recognize what people do in other companies- in which case he should be in. The problem is that he’s signed with AEW so it probably won’t happen soon

heyman is a yes for both wwe work and outside work, so any way you slice it

Reactions: Say Hey Kid

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Not very good judging by Wrestlemania, and I've heard wrestling people claim a few times that he wasn't that tough either. Multiple people say that Roddy Piper could have pretty easily beaten T up when they were feuding going into Wrestlemanias, and when you see their crappy face off you can see that Piper, a golden gloves winning boxer and bigger than T, very likely could have.
Before that fiasco of a boxing match at Mania the company wanted Mr T to do actual boxing training and sparing. He flat out refused, explaining that if he did and someone knocked him out and word got out his rep would be killed. He understood he was a gimmick and in that sense he was pretty savvy.

Reactions: CDJ

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
Before that fiasco of a boxing match at Mania the company wanted Mr T to do actual boxing training and sparing. He flat out refused, explaining that if he did and someone knocked him out and word got out his rep would be killed. He understood he was a gimmick and in that sense he was pretty savvy.
Rousey should have done that before her first loss. She lost millions in Hollywood $ that disappeared as soon as she lost.

Reactions: CDJ

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Yes to all but Tazz. I wouldn't have a problem with Tazz getting in tho. Bam Bam absolutely needs to be in there. I thought Bundy got in this year.
With regard to Taz: I chatted with Tommy Dreamer at one of the Mania Weekend shows last year and said it was so stupid they didn't have Taz go in because it would've drawn (which is the real point of the WWE HOF: It's really just a marketing gimmick) and he said he agreed but that the people in WWE hate Taz so it will never happen.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

I just recently saw SNME 2 on youtube and amazingly the best part was the wedding of Uncle Elmer(Hilly billy Jim's "Uncle"). I didn't notice it as much as a kid since I wanted to watch the wrestling, but Vince and Jesse's commentary was funny as hell(Vince playing the straight man)

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

Stumbled on this looking for the Larry Bird reaction from episode 9 of The Last Dance. Can't seem to find any additional videos from this game.

That's something. Dusty, Sting, Luger, and company on the NWA all stars. People often say that Dusty was a surprisingly good athlete.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I just recently saw SNME 2 on youtube and amazingly the best part was the wedding of Uncle Elmer(Hilly billy Jim's "Uncle"). I didn't notice it as much as a kid since I wanted to watch the wrestling, but Vince and Jesse's commentary was funny as hell(Vince playing the straight man)

I know.

Jesse was my favorite commentator.

When Elmer kisses his bride and Jessie says, It looks like two carp fighting over the same piece of corn! :laugh:

Reactions: boredmale

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario

Tazz
Bam Bam Bigelow
Paul Heyman
King Kong Bundy
Cyndi Lauper

Tazz - Has anyone made it in yet based mostly on their ECW work? Because his WWE run was insginificant.
Bam Bam Bigelow - Seeing as how Koko B Ware is in, Bam Bam certainly deserves to be in.
Paul Heyman - Yes, but he's still fairly active is he not?
King Kong Bundy, Yes
Cyndi Lauper - It's criminal that she\s not in given some of the other celebrities that are in.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Stumbled on this looking for the Larry Bird reaction from episode 9 of The Last Dance. Can't seem to find any additional videos from this game.

Just from a couple minutes of watching, seems like both sides were taking it a little more seriously than I'd expect.

Sting de facto point guard
Luger
Dusty
Road Warrior Hawk
Barry Windham appears to be the rebounder
Tim Horner who seems to be the George Costanza Chucker of the group
YT comment says Brad Armstrong?
Almost looks like a young Shane Douglas on the bench but I don't think he was in NWA yet

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

This would not fly in 2020 :laugh:

Holy smokes this segment!

I recently watched a segment from 2002 with Billy/Chuck/Rico/Tajiri/Torrie and my goodness they would be the most cancelled thing on the planet if that aired today.

Billy and chuck pulled their eyes into slants as them and tajiri/torrie (tajiri is a heel and abusing Torrie at this point) met on screen. It only devolved into misogyny from the 4 guys from there. I was dying laughing mostly at the fact that this was allowed of air, not at the scene itself

Last edited:

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
Did Dustin create Goldust by himself or did someone "help" him? Help may not be the right word. ;)

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Did Dustin create Goldust by himself or did someone "help" him? Help may not be the right word. ;)

As far as I know it was pitched to him and he ran with it. It feels like a Russo idea but it's too early to be Russo. Doesn't feel like the kind of thing Vince would come up with, at least the details. Maybe Prichard or someone else on the creative team.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
As far as I know it was pitched to him and he ran with it. It feels like a Russo idea but it's too early to be Russo. Doesn't feel like the kind of thing Vince would come up with, at least the details. Maybe Prichard or someone else on the creative team.

iirc it was Prichard, I’ll try and look into it more

edit: Dustin got cut by WCW for blading in a match and got a call from Prichard who was with Vince with the idea. So it seems like a Prichard/McMahon concoction

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->