Classic Wrestling Discussion (as in non-current): Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
Tom Magee's combination of size, "the look" and his athleticism should have made him a star. It says a lot about how green and bad he truly was at just straight up wrestling. He probably would have thrived and had a really good career if you took that guy, planted him today's era at the Performance Center and keep him hidden until he was at least decent and could have honed all that skill into a good wrestling package.

And given him a new, better name than Tom McGee like Ripley Bishop, Reginald DuPont, or Buddy Peacock.

HandsomeHollywood

Brooke Shields ain't got nothin'
Mar 20, 2017
I think McGee was too much of a legitimate athlete. Watching matches of his, he comes across as not having a clue how to "fake" or work things. Seems like it's an aspect that he couldn't get in his head. Athleticism is there, but his strikes caused actual laughter to erupt from Japanese audiences.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I found and watched the Magee documentary and match. Enjoyable stuff. It cracks me up that apparently if you go to a barbecue at Bret Hart's house, Bret Hart matches are on in the house. Waltman is enjoyable, which always surprises me even though he comes off well in podcasts. Harry Smith does a good Bret impression. Magee's tights are a few sizes too small. As for the match, it's pretty enjoyable. A classic example of hiding someone's flaws as well as possible and working with their strengths and it ends up around the upper limit of what I expected. It's more impressive if you've seen Magee's stuff with other top wrestlers, because he really is laughably bad outside of this match.

I think Magee is just a case of a guy completely lacking aptitude for something. He looks so awkward out there in other matches that even when he walks it looks weird. I'd guess that he pretty much never played a ball based sport and instead focused on bodybuilding, because his fluidity is so lacking. He may have more raw athleticism than a guy like Michaels or Styles but he's so lacking in movement, and the way he plays to the crowd is also pretty weird. Just the opposite of a natural.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
I watched Fall Brawl 98's WarGames again.

holy **** I'm crying

THERE'S A MINUTE AND 23 SECONDS LEFT ON THE CLOCK AND HOGAN ENTERS THE MATCH LOL

****ING HOGAN FORGOT TO PIN NASH AFTER HIS FINISH

****ING WARRIOR HAD TELEPORTING ABILITIES

THIS MATCH IS MINUS FIVE STARS
That's the match that killed Bulldog. No one was told about the trapdoor that Warrior used, so when Bulldog has his match to open the show he had no idea it was there and f***ed up his back when he bumped on it.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
That whole Hogan/Warrior feud really turned the tables in the Monday night wars. It was an awful angle and around that time in the fall of 1998 the WWF took the lead in the Monday night wars for good.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
That's the match that killed Bulldog. No one was told about the trapdoor that Warrior used, so when Bulldog has his match to open the show he had no idea it was there and ****ed up his back when he bumped on it.

Man he had to have been so pissed afterwards.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Man he had to have been so pissed afterwards.
Nah, pissed isn't the correct word. He was in hospital for the next six months trying to not be paralysed from the resulting spinal infection, where he also developed a painkiller addiction. And he was fired in the middle of that hospital stay too. By post.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Nah, pissed isn't the correct word. He was in hospital for the next six months trying to not be paralysed from the resulting spinal infection, where he also developed a painkiller addiction. And he was fired in the middle of that hospital stay too. By post.

I heard about all his troubles but never knew it was from that specific incident. The world ( other people) really chews up and spits so many people out.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Well I’m old now and it was a long time ago. Definitely remember the mirror scene and then the teleport.

Hogan’s acting was also terrible from what I remember

Well, given that Hogan's acting was ALWAYS terrible, that's not saying much. :laugh:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Truth be told, Jaws came out eight years before I was born. So no. :sarcasm:

Yeah, I've got you.

Hell, I'm so old that I was walking before Mike Lange announced a Penguins game.

Strike that . . . I'm so old, I've actually SEEN the Flyers win the cup. :laugh:

Reactions: Dr Pepper

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
The rise of The 1–2–3 Kid.

I can remember, that he was something like jobber that time, wasn't he? Why the hell, they decided to make him a regular main wrestler? He was very unimpressive in the rink.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The rise of The 1–2–3 Kid.

I can remember, that he was something like jobber that time, wasn't he? Why the hell, they decided to make him a regular main wrestler? He was very unimpressive in the rink.

He started as a jobber of sorts with his changing "________ Kid" moniker but then they gave him a surprising push. It was actually a pretty good way for WWF to spice things up with an angle you rarely saw. Waltman was fine in the ring and different from most of the other WWF wrestlers. The roster was pretty shallow at the time too so I'd say it was not a bad move.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
He started as a jobber of sorts with his changing "________ Kid" moniker but then they gave him a surprising push. It was actually a pretty good way for WWF to spice things up with an angle you rarely saw. Waltman was fine in the ring and different from most of the other WWF wrestlers. The roster was pretty shallow at the time too so I'd say it was not a bad move.

he kinda pulled the Mick Foley WCW move and got over for losing.

Both were originally guys on their respective rosters used to get everyone else over, until the fans started liking them for it.

In Foley's case, the Nestea Plunge became the moment the fans wanted in his matches, and the person trying to get over was ignored.

In Kid's case, the name changes and undersized underdog aspect is what got him over.

All the credit in the world to Hall for doing the job for Kid to establish him. That was during peak Razor and he could've laughed the idea off and no one would've batted an eye.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
he kinda pulled the Mick Foley WCW move and got over for losing.

Both were originally guys on their respective rosters used to get everyone else over, until the fans started liking them for it.

In Foley's case, the Nestea Plunge became the moment the fans wanted in his matches, and the person trying to get over was ignored.

In Kid's case, the name changes and undersized underdog aspect is what got him over.

All the credit in the world to Hall for doing the job for Kid to establish him. That was during peak Razor and he could've laughed the idea off and no one would've batted an eye.

For all the criticisms that can be lobbed toward Hall, he was pretty generous in terms of putting others over. Incredibly so if you compare him to his buddies. I think that part of it is that while he had main event talent he had low card drive, as long as he was getting paid, but he did a great job with Waltman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->