Classic Wrestling Discussion (as in non-current): Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
With the recent death of Dynamite Kid, I'll post one of his innovative matches with Tiger Mask:

You can see how much his style is embedded in the DNA of most wrestlers active today.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Watching WCW world war 3 live from the Palace of Auburn hills. I was at this event as a freshman in high school and I forget most of this PPV. First match is Glacier vs. Wrath. I totally forgot about Wrath!

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Watching WCW world war 3 live from the Palace of Auburn hills. I was at this event as a freshman in high school and I forget most of this PPV. First match is Glacier vs. Wrath. I totally forgot about Wrath!

There's an Outsiders vs Wrath and Mortis match on YT that I remember watching live back in the day.

Mortis >>> Wrath.

LOL, after reading @PeterSidorkiewicz 's post I was going to say the exact same thing.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
With the recent death of Dynamite Kid, I'll post one of his innovative matches with Tiger Mask:

You can see how much his style is embedded in the DNA of most wrestlers active today.

Here is the Dynamite Kid at MSG(1982) 2+ years before the Bulldogs made it to the WWF

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
After the passing of Mean Gene I decided to watch Survivor Series 1990 tonight

Not that it is a surprise but it was kind of depressing that only one of the 6 main card matches had a team with every member still alive when counting competitors and managers

Only the million dollar team of Dibiase, Undertaker, Honky Tonk Man, and Greg Valentine +Virgil and Brother Love survive to this day.

For some reason I had misremembered that there was actually a Final match of teams comprised of the survivors of the earlier matches divided into Heels and Faces, I always seemed to remember the show ending with the reveal of the Gobbledy Gooker, Piper, Monsoon, and Mean Gene's reactions were priceless, and they did a great job trying to smooth over what was clearly and audibly not going over with the crowd

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
After the passing of Mean Gene I decided to watch Survivor Series 1990 tonight

Not that it is a surprise but it was kind of depressing that only one of the 6 main card matches had a team with every member still alive when counting competitors and managers

Only the million dollar team of Dibiase, Undertaker, Honky Tonk Man, and Greg Valentine +Virgil and Brother Love survive to this day.

For some reason I had misremembered that there was actually a Final match of teams comprised of the survivors of the earlier matches divided into Heels and Faces, I always seemed to remember the show ending with the reveal of the Gobbledy Gooker, Piper, Monsoon, and Mean Gene's reactions were priceless, and they did a great job trying to smooth over what was clearly and audibly not going over with the crowd

fun fact, the Gooker was the back up plan. Originally it was supposed to be Undertaker in the egg, but with the gimmick of Egg Man

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Yeah, Undertaker in the egg would have been a bit of a poor way to debut him. Sure he probably still develops into a major star but everyone would remember him as the guy who debuted in the egg.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Yeah, Undertaker in the egg would have been a bit of a poor way to debut him. Sure he probably still develops into a major star but everyone would remember him as the guy who debuted in the egg.

I really think that might have ruined his gimmick. :laugh: Dead on arrival.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Watched the July 6, 1998 Nitro last night, Goldberg vs Hogan at the Georgia Dome, one of the greatest nights in the history of our sport

It's not a sport pal, it's sports entertainment.

I would love to hear the hyperbole of Vince and Tony announcing together.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
I've thought about the Magnum TA "what if" a few times and I'm not sure that he would have been a huge star on a national level. Perhaps it is ignorance on my part, but to me he looks perfectly suited to the typical NWA audience at the time - big bleached blonde curly mullet, huge mustache, looks like a biker but not super jacked, chest full of steel wool. I can see him being every female NWA fan's dream man and every male fan's dream drinking buddy (as far as I understand it promoters actually did think this way) but perhaps not as much on a national level. I can't rule it out however as he was improving in ring and had shown a good, naturalistic promo style. This is a bit of a ramble perhaps but I find Magnum TA to be a man perfectly suited to his time and place and I'm not sure that he would have been extremely successful outside of that bubble.

Although I think this is 100% accurate, I've gotta say...Jake the Snake did pretty well.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Although I think this is 100% accurate, I've gotta say...Jake the Snake did pretty well.

Fair, and those two certainly share a look. Roberts's got over on aura and promos, which was possible with WWE. Magnum was presented as a big badass in NWA but that would have been difficult with him getting dwarfed by Hogan. He would have needed a sudden "physique enhancement" in order to even have a chance.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Fair, and those two certainly share a look. Roberts's got over on aura and promos, which was possible with WWE. Magnum was presented as a big badass in NWA but that would have been difficult with him getting dwarfed by Hogan. He would have needed a sudden "physique enhancement" in order to even have a chance.

I never saw him wrestle back in the day, I always knew he was a fan favorite from the PWI magazines and such, but didn't realize he was such a badass character. That would definitely be a problem coming into the WWF, but they surely could have done something with him. Whether that's good or bad, who knows, and lord knows we've seen people get ruined.

I used to think he was Jake's brother as they look so much alike :laugh:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I never saw him wrestle back in the day, I always knew he was a fan favorite from the PWI magazines and such, but didn't realize he was such a badass character. That would definitely be a problem coming into the WWF, but they surely could have done something with him. Whether that's good or bad, who knows, and lord knows we've seen people get ruined.

I used to think he was Jake's brother as they look so much alike :laugh:

Yeah they have a look I would call "trailer park Lothario" not unlike Julian with longer hair...

latest

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I've seen this posted around a few places in honour of Silver King. A very good showing for Silver King, Eddie Guerrero, and WCW Saturday Night:

Reactions: sabremike and Fro

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
The network is adding a rare "gem" tomorrow......

WWE Network Adding Never Before Seen Tom Magee Match Tomorrow

Wow, never heard about this. But the i asked Mr. Google and i saw a really interesting article.

When I came back through the curtain, Vince and Pat [Patterson] had swarmed all over McGhee. Afterward, it was Tom who told me that Vince nearly wet his pants while watching the TV monitor, as he exclaimed loud enough for all to hear, “That’s my next champion!”

Colt Cabana, in his ‘Pro Wrestling Fringe’ series on his podcast, shockingly explained that when he was a part of the WWE system, he was able to request any match he wanted and the tape would get sent to him from the WWE tape library that stores thousands upon thousands of footage. Cabana received any match he requested except one – Bret Hart vs Tom Magee.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Tom Magee's combination of size, "the look" and his athleticism should have made him a star. It says a lot about how green and bad he truly was at just straight up wrestling. He probably would have thrived and had a really good career if you took that guy, planted him today's era at the Performance Center and keep him hidden until he was at least decent and could have honed all that skill into a good wrestling package.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->