Classic Games GDT?

Would you be interested in Classic GDT for Canucks games?

• Total voters

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
The NHL Network has been showing Stanley Cup finals final games and the '82 game out as I flicked over to it (they listing was wrong). I only got half the game but I hope that comes on again.

But really, from what I remember only the first game was competitive and the series up to then was the most fun. Even still, there was far, far more interest in the game in Vancouver than New York, since the Islanders weren't the Rangers.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I am pretty easy, I am not leaving my apartment when I do not need to, so for the most part I can be available.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
I am pretty easy, I am not leaving my apartment when I do not need to, so for the most part I can be available.
It looks like I won’t be available now. Building a temporary ramp for a relative who is getting out of hospital early next week. I’m in for Monday night though.
4C13D82F-5ECE-4E48-9ADB-9A1E4BE1CCA3.jpeg

Reactions: racerjoe

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Have no wish to rain on the parade of 'old-time' hockey....but Sportsnet replayed the 1980 all-star game between the Wales and Campbell Conferences last night. It was Gordie Howe's last all-star game at age 48; and Wayne Gretzky's sophomore season. And for Canucks trivia buffs, Lars Lindgren was the Canucks rep in this game.

I have to say, that given that this was a game featuring the 'best players' in the NHL that season, some of the skating was downright ugly. The thing that's stunning is just the speed of the game. Comparing it to the modern NHL, it's like somebody hit the highlight button and sped it up by three-quarters of a turn.

The other thing you notice, is the conditioning. At the end of many shifts, the players just looked gassed....could barely get the bench and some were doubled over.

You realize that the combination of better coaching; improved training and nutrition; and just bigger, stronger and faster players, has transformed the NHL from what it was then.

The only thing that hasn't changed is the size of the rink......probably past time to think about doing something about that. Maybe not Olympic size, but a little more width and space below the goal line would help.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Have no wish to rain on the parade of 'old-time' hockey....but Sportsnet replayed the 1980 all-star game between the Wales and Campbell Conferences last night. It was Gordie Howe's last all-star game at age 48; and Wayne Gretzky's sophomore season. And for Canucks trivia buffs, Lars Lindgren was the Canucks rep in this game.

I have to say, that given that this was a game featuring the 'best players' in the NHL that season, some of the skating was downright ugly. The thing that's stunning is just the speed of the game. Comparing it to the modern NHL, it's like somebody hit the highlight button and sped it up by three-quarters of a turn.

The other thing you notice, is the conditioning. At the end of many shifts, the players just looked gassed....could barely get the bench and some were doubled over.

You realize that the combination of better coaching; improved training and nutrition; and just bigger, stronger and faster players, has transformed the NHL from what it was then.

The only thing that hasn't changed is the size of the rink......probably past time to think about doing something about that. Maybe not Olympic size, but a little more width and space below the goal line would help.
IMHO, nothing you have written is unfair. The only thing I’d challenge is the concept of increasing the size of the ice surface. I used to believe that this would increase the speed of the game as a ‘feeling’ type of assessment.

Once I was educated on the reality from our friends in the European leagues, I’ve learned that increasing the square meters/footage of the ice surface actually slows the game down.

I offer this as a result:

If the objective is to increase the speed of the game, leave ice surface size as is.

If the objective is to improve player safety in the current game, increase the ice surface size.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
you guys usually do this during the long leadup to putting the kiddo to bed so i can rarely pop my head in, but still i nominate my fav 2010-11 team game—

anyone have the whole game somewhere?

Reactions: vanuck

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Also - this game gets my vote for one of the most entertaining regular season games in recent memory. Even if it does feature the likes of Gudbranson, Pouliot and Del Zotto on our defense at the same time...

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I still have a bunch of games that we can do. Kind of got away from the GDT’s lately as I’ve had some personal things to deal with during all this crap going on and just haven’t had the energy to come on here.

If there is an appetite to start it up again, we can do GDT’s. I would just love to figure out a better way to have everyone watch the game at the same time, as the site we used before can easily be messed around with.

Reactions: vanuck and racerjoe

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I still have a bunch of games that we can do. Kind of got away from the GDT’s lately as I’ve had some personal things to deal with during all this crap going on and just haven’t had the energy to come on here.

If there is an appetite to start it up again, we can do GDT’s. I would just love to figure out a better way to have everyone watch the game at the same time, as the site we used before can easily be messed around with.

I am bussier now as it turns out but they were fun and I would join when I could.

Being Busier is also why I haven’t had a chance to digitize that game yet too. It takes twice as long with the equipment I have, plus lots of tapes and digital space.

Reactions: PG Canuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad