Post-Game Talk: Classic End of Game PP

Boom not bust

Nov 17, 2018
Edmonton
I don't understand why people try to devalue Draisaitls production with McDavid. As if any of our 10+ scrubs at forward could produce like Draisaitl in that spot. Scrubs would waste so many Connor feeds, playing scrubs with McDavid would actually be a good way to illicit a trade request.

Reactions: Duke74 and space321

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Not that its super important but lets make it more clear. At the time of his signing RNH just completed what was seen as a recovery year after he put up 52/62 as a rookie (68 points proR) and was also a lockout season where he completely dominated the WJC. More context is necessary. 6m/64 is 9.4% of the cap, which was less than the Eberle and Hall deals who signed for 6million when the cap was at 60 for 10%.

Draisaitl signed for 11.3% of the cap, wanted to be paid like a leader of this team so he should be considered a leader of this team.

Draisaitl is a better player than RNH and a more important player to this team, so of course he is going to be held to a higher standard. Like it or not.

No need to whine and defend him, the vast vast majority (including myself) have a lot of love for Leon and see him as a top forward in the game. We just want to see more from him at times.
Seems like fans want to see something that is unattainable from almost anyone in the league on a night by night basis. Anything short of a multi-point game in a win and there is the typical group in here saying he's not good enough. Isn't earning his money. Is lazy. Etc.

The player played 25:25, was 61% on faceoffs winning as many faceoffs (17) as Nuge took in the entire game (18, where he managed a whopping 22%). He had an assist on the only goal and generated the only chances for the team in the game while utterly destroying the stars in shot metrics. Meanwhile his top line left winger was a player who has 2 goals in the last calendar year and Alex Chiasson, who for all his success this year was a PTO signing.

He was -by a country mile- the best player on the Oilers.

It's the same kind of crap that happened with Taylor Hall. Team was bad so instead of looking at the rest of the complete garbage roster it had to be the fault of one of the lone bright spots on the team.

Every game this garbage goes on with Draisaitl. It's offensive.

You can see it starting to creep in with some posters and McDavid too. Give it a year or two where the Oilers wallow outside of the playoffs because the roster is absolute trash with the exception of two or three players and people will start accusing McDavid of being part of the problem just like they did with Taylor Hall. Just like they're starting to do with Draisaitl.

But hey... at least when we run Draisaitl out of town on a rail, and Connor McDavid is next up on the tracks we'll still have Nuge out there skating by with nary a word against him ;)

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Seems like fans want to see something that is unattainable from almost anyone in the league on a night by night basis. Anything short of a multi-point game in a win and there is the typical group in here saying he's not good enough. Isn't earning his money. Is lazy. Etc.

The player played 25:25, was 61% on faceoffs winning as many faceoffs (17) as Nuge took in the entire game (18, where he managed a whopping 22%). He had an assist on the only goal and generated the only chances for the team in the game while utterly destroying the stars in shot metrics. Meanwhile his top line left winger was a player who has 2 goals in the last calendar year and Alex Chiasson, who for all his success this year was a PTO signing.

It's the same kind of crap that happened with Taylor Hall. Team was bad so instead of looking at the rest of the complete garbage roster it had to be the fault of one of the lone bright spots on the team.

You can see it starting to creep in with some posters and McDavid too. Give it a year or two where the Oilers wallow outside of the playoffs because the roster is absolute trash with the exception of two or three players and people will start accusing McDavid of being part of the problem just like they did with Taylor Hall. Just like they're starting to do with Draisaitl.

But hey... at least when we run Draisaitl out of town on a rail, and Connor McDavid is next up on the tracks we'll still have Nuge out there skating by with nary a word against him ;)
It’s nothing to do with the player everything to do with the contract. That’s the reality of the cap world. A lot of people feel he was greedy and wanted too much. I think it’s ridiculous and his contract will look great after we see what all these leafs kids get.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton

Calm your tatas mate
I was just responding.to RNH criticism and why Drai should be held to a higher standard. I know he was our best forward I watched the game.

Do you agree/disagree Draisaitl has a greater responsibility to lead us than RNH?

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Started watching this game Tuesday evening and was looking fwd to watching it. Started the NHL.TV app, casted to TV and went to Monday's games only to find that 'Hide Scores' option had been cleared and saw the final score. So now I have to sit through a game that I know we're going to lose (yes I still need to watch each and every game). Skip ahead and missed the pregame and first minute and realized about 10 minutes in that McDavid was out. So I don't event get that. I did get to watch Dallas get very lucky, use dirty tactics and helped by the refs to roll over a team missing their best player. :S

I thought the team played well, but Dallas overall was the better team. Kassian's interference penalty; At first I thought it was just another dumb penalty. After the replay, the puck was there, Benn is charging straight at him and is cheap shotting everyone all game without the refs doing anything about it. Kassian was totally in the right to get a piece of Benn at that point. It's either that or play the puck and get flattened. I just wish he hit Benn harder that f*cker. I hope we destroy this team physically and on the score board int he rematch.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It’s nothing to do with the player everything to do with the contract. That’s the reality of the cap world. A lot of people feel he was greedy and wanted too much. I think it’s ridiculous and his contract will look great after we see what all these leafs kids get.
Then the GM should've done some hard work and negotiated with him, like Connor did.

...Oh wait, Connor isn't the GM. Hmm.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Not sure where to post this, but its kind of odd.

Look at todays McD video on the Oilers website. Around 2;40 in Jim Matheson starts asking Connor some questions as Matheson for some reason is leaning forward and back bobbing into the camera. Strangest interview I've seen. Connor kind of looking sideways with a weird look. Not meaning to be insensitive with this, and I really don't know, but is something wrong with Matheson?

Annoyed at the questions and length of it too. Also would it be too much for the media to just occasionally give McD an out when he hasn't been feeling well? Why not ask somebody else some pointless questions? Worse is there were even some landmine questions in there. "What do you think about Talbot" jebus come on media, be better than this.

lol, you encouraged me to watch McDavid's interview. That's hilarious. Save those lame questions for the coach Matheson. Super long rambling question about if it's good to have a 1A and 1B goalie while bobbing back and forth, sigh.

2 minutes of questions by the others about being sick and wanting a full play by play of what he did the day before, and wondering if he regrets not playing in front of the dads...sigh.

Last edited:

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Calm your tatas mate
I was just responding.to RNH criticism and why Drai should be held to a higher standard. I know he was our best forward I watched the game.

Do you agree/disagree Draisaitl has a greater responsibility to lead us than RNH?
They both have a responsibility to lead, fact is Draisaitl DID lead while Nuge was terrible. Remind us all who actually wears an ‘A’’, 8 years in and he still can’t win a draw or take a slap shot. He doesn’t hit and isn’t fast, hell, I’ve seen Lucic fly by him on the backcheck. Lucic buries his head and gives an honest effort on the backcheck, Nuge does crossovers, completely unaware the shortest distance between two points is a straight line. He’s never earned his contract, we’ve paid him over 30M now and for what? The only thing he’s ever led this team to is a lottery pick.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
They both have a responsibility to lead, fact is Draisaitl DID lead while Nuge was terrible. Remind us all who actually wears an ‘A’’, 8 years in and he still can’t win a draw or take a slap shot. He doesn’t hit and isn’t fast, hell, I’ve seen Lucic fly by him on the backcheck. Lucic buries his head and gives an honest effort on the backcheck, Nuge does crossovers, completely unaware the shortest distance between two points is a straight line. He’s never earned his contract, we’ve paid him over 30M now and for what? The only thing he’s ever led this team to is a lottery pick.
Just for some context on skating styles and linear crossovers:

“The key is crossover to stride ratio. Belfry said he conducted a study of what he considers the top 25 NHL players and found that they crossover once every four strides, compared to once every 12 to 14 strides for the average third- or fourth-line NHLer.
Crosby, McDavid and other stars like Tampa’s Nikita Kucherov or Belfry client Patrick Kane of the Blackhawks crossover more than once every three strides.”
-Daryll Belfry (Crosby’s skills coach)

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Just for some context on skating styles and linear crossovers:

“The key is crossover to stride ratio. Belfry said he conducted a study of what he considers the top 25 NHL players and found that they crossover once every four strides, compared to once every 12 to 14 strides for the average third- or fourth-line NHLer.
Crosby, McDavid and other stars like Tampa’s Nikita Kucherov or Belfry client Patrick Kane of the Blackhawks crossover more than once every three strides.”
-Daryll Belfry (Crosby’s skills coach)
Not while back checking and Nuge is far from a top 25 guy

Last edited:

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
You’re wrong, obviously you need to watch Nuge because when he backchecks he loses ground on his man. I’ve seen it over and over and I don’t need some analytics to tell me what I see. Maybe you should actually watch him backcheck

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
You’re wrong, obviously you need to watch Nuge because when he backchecks he loses ground on his man. I’ve seen it over and over and I don’t need some analytics to tell me what I see. Maybe you should actually watch him backcheck
Skating stride biomechanics are not analytics :laugh:

You can question his work ethic on the backcheck, I don’t really care. But your argument regarding skating style is horribly mistaken.

Oilers 322

Oct 26, 2016
Edmonton
Then the GM should've done some hard work and negotiated with him, like Connor did.

...Oh wait, Connor isn't the GM. Hmm.

To be fair, it was a tough negotiation with Draisaitl. Drai had all the leverage in the world to get all the money he wanted. He just finished off an unbelievable playoff run where McDavid was relatively quiet, including an extraordinary game 6 performance where he single handedly destroyed the Ducks after a game 5 collapse. After trading Eberle, the Oilers needed Drai more than Drai needed the Oilers, and he took advantage. The Oilers simply couldn't leave him unsigned going into the season, like the Leafs did with Nylander. I'm not trying to defend Chiarelli here, he is still a goof but overpaying Draisaitl is pretty far down in his list of mistakes.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
To be fair, it was a tough negotiation with Draisaitl. Drai had all the leverage in the world to get all the money he wanted. He just finished off an unbelievable playoff run where McDavid was relatively quiet, including an extraordinary game 6 performance where he single handedly destroyed the Ducks after a game 5 collapse. After trading Eberle, the Oilers needed Drai more than Drai needed the Oilers, and he took advantage. The Oilers simply couldn't leave him unsigned going into the season, like the Leafs did with Nylander. I'm not trying to defend Chiarelli here, he is still a goof but overpaying Draisaitl is pretty far down in his list of mistakes.
You're right. It is far down his list of mistakes.

Because that list is longer than the Browns playoff drought.

Reactions: Oilers 322

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I don't understand why people try to devalue Draisaitls production with McDavid. As if any of our 10+ scrubs at forward could produce like Draisaitl in that spot. Scrubs would waste so many Connor feeds, playing scrubs with McDavid would actually be a good way to illicit a trade request.

I think if given another chance, Rattie will prove to be a good finisher for McDavid, like how he proved last year

Reactions: Cypress

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
Why are we debating whether Nuge or Draisatl deserves more to be the next player run out of town? They're both great players. Sometimes a guy will have an off game. Draisatl was arguably our best player last game. Nuge wasn't noticeable offensively but he's usually a very effective player for us. Give it a rest.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
One of Connor McDavids strengths is his unique ability to put multiple crossovers throughout his skating stride in a short period of time. I remember one of the guys on HNIC pointing it out and showing it in slow motion. Quite amazing to see.

Reactions: Hippasus and TB12

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
The team seems a lot less threatening offensively, and is easier to get the upper-hand on by the other team's offense when McDavid is out of the lineup. I'm surprised it's been 40ish games since Khaira scored, as I thought I heard the commentators say. That's Lucic bad.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Okay. So what you're saying is Draisaitl's points are worth less because...?

This isnt rocket science. If you are given 5 open nets to hit in 25 minutes of playing time a game and you score once, where as if you are given 8 minutes a game and have to start in your own end and you score a goal.

Are those goals the same?

Every benefit must be balanced by its opportunity cost.

Thats why his points are worth less.

space321

May 11, 2011
This isnt rocket science. If you are given 5 open nets to hit in 25 minutes of playing time a game and you score once, where as if you are given 8 minutes a game and have to start in your own end and you score a goal.

Are those goals the same?

Every benefit must be balanced by its opportunity cost.

Thats why his points are worth less.

How much are Lucic's points worth in your opinion? Who's points are worth the most?

Reactions: Hippasus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad