Post-Game Talk: Classic End of Game PP

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Drai is the one who wanted to be paid 8.5 million, let him be the one to step it up. Yes Nuge should step up too but Drai is the one who should be leading the way.

Draft position means nothing btw. Calgary doesnt look at Bennett to step up for them, they look to Johnny Hockey.

RNH got $6 million dollars coming off a 24 point/40 game season (so 49.2 points pro-rated) when the cap was $64 million.

Draisaitl got $8.5 coming off a season where he scored 77 points and led the team in scoring in the playoffs when the cap was $75 million.

RNH never takes any heat, it's always all dumped on Leon and it's a ridiculous double standard, like a mother or father that are ridiculously hard on one child while the sibling gets a pass for everything.

Leon set up a goal and had the best scoring chance of the night otherwise for the Oilers, RNH did nothing in the offensive zone yesterday.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
****, even McDavid couldn't make a player out of Lucic last year. Just imagine if he had wingers that weren't the worst in the league.

McDavid has the speed to create his own chances unlike just about any player in the league but I wonder how he'd do with Lucic and a rookie or 3rd/4th liner of your choice on his RW. He'd still get his but I bet the production would take a fairly steep decline, like be an 80 point player instead of a 100+ point player.

Look at his goal in the Vegas game for instance, who gets him that puck if Drai or RNH aren't on the line?

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Drai is the one who wanted to be paid 8.5 million, let him be the one to step it up. Yes Nuge should step up too but Drai is the one who should be leading the way.

Draft position means nothing btw. Calgary doesnt look at Bennett to step up for them, they look to Johnny Hockey.

You realize Nuge signed his contract more than 5 years ago? Quite a big difference in terms of cap/market etc. Also Nuge's career-high is 56 points and he had 4 points (0 goals) in 13 playoff games while Drai had a 77 point season and a strong playoffs performance in the season before signing his deal. But yeah don't let that get in the way of your narrative.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
RNH got $6 million dollars coming off a 24 point/40 game season (so 49.2 points pro-rated) when the cap was $64 million.

Draisaitl got $8.5 coming off a season where he scored 77 points and led the team in scoring in the playoffs when the cap was $75 million.

RNH never takes any heat, it's always all dumped on Leon and it's a ridiculous double standard, like a mother or father that are ridiculously hard on one child while the sibling gets a pass for everything.

Leon set up a goal and had the best scoring chance of the night otherwise for the Oilers, RNH did nothing in the offensive zone yesterday.

Nice post. If I could add some elemental numbers the only thing that really matters in capped league is the cap proportion. The numbers are immaterial, exccpet if you're the owner paying for them, lol/

So that Nuge contract at time it was signed was 9.36% of cap. Close to 10.
Drai contract is 11.33% of cap, close to, a bit further removed from 10.

The cap appreciation is also interesting. a Nuge contract amount, corrected for cap inflation works out to 7.03M So 1.5M less than Drai. Its the latter point that seems not understood on this board. That there is only 1.5M pay differential correcting for cap inflation.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
McDavid has the speed to create his own chances unlike just about any player in the league but I wonder how he'd do with Lucic and a rookie or 3rd/4th liner of your choice on his RW. He'd still get his but I bet the production would take a fairly steep decline, like be an 80 point player instead of a 100+ point player.

Look at his goal in the Vegas game for instance, who gets him that puck if Drai or RNH aren't on the line?
I dare not think about it. The fact we have zero top 6 wingers on this team is criminal. Just imagine if we could actually use our depth at center...

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Why would McD, who just missed a game, be practicing today within 12 or so hours of it..

just give him some time off, time in bed and come back tomorrow in time for game.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Why would McD, who just missed a game, be practicing today within 12 or so hours of it..

just give him some time off, time in bed and come back tomorrow in time for game.

Maybe it's not a cold or respiratory virus...maybe it was a bout of food poisoning instead?

I think they said they stayed back at the hotel during the game, which makes sense if they needed to get to a toilet in a hurry.

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
I'd like to see Mcdavid with Rattie and Cagguila, and Drai with RNH and Pulju. I legitimately think this gives us a decent enough top 6. Drai played a bit too much last night but there is no question that he was driving the play as the #1 centre- he just had no real support. We all have seen Drai drive his own line, its just that when things aren't going his way, he either sulks or stops moving his feet. I think Hitch is actually a perfect coach for Drai to get the laziness out of his game, and help him reach the Kopitar level of player that he has the potential of being.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
I'd like to see Mcdavid with Rattie and Cagguila, and Drai with RNH and Pulju. I legitimately think this gives us a decent enough top 6. Drai played a bit too much last night but there is no question that he was driving the play as the #1 centre- he just had no real support. We all have seen Drai drive his own line, its just that when things aren't going his way, he either sulks or stops moving his feet. I think Hitch is actually a perfect coach for Drai to get the laziness out of his game, and help him reach the Kopitar level of player that he has the potential of being.

id got chiasson instead of rattie but i agree with the rest. mcdavid can drive full speed with jewey and another solid winger. nuge-drai SHOULD be able to destroy other 2nd lines and it gives the oilers the best chance at a 2 pronged attack

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Maybe it's not a cold or respiratory virus...maybe it was a bout of food poisoning instead?

I think they said they stayed back at the hotel during the game, which makes sense if they needed to get to a toilet in a hurry.
Pete Townsend shit himself at Woodstock in front of 400K people. Mercifully it was in the dark but the stage lights and film footage captured it for POSTERITY, I'm not excusing pun, hehe

Worse thing have happened..;)

Reactions: McFuhryous

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Any one of the goalposts could have been GA. Koski was not close to sealing those, he barely moved on any of them. You know full well if this was Talbot in net there'd be a ton of posts commenting on "needing to make saves" regardless of what the chances were.

The thing is by the time Dallas got 15 shots they had put 6 pucks behind Koski. With goalposts obviously being very close to being goals. Koski even had trouble on a routine dump in. The crowd roared as the puck nearly got between his pads. Of course the Oilers broadcast pretended it hadn't even happened.

Now Koski is a good enough goalie, I acknowledge that now, but I'm also seeing games (3 now) where he's struggled. Its far too early to figure he's this great goalie find. Actually you don't find that out with NHL goalies until they've played a significant number of games.

How about you never quote any of my posts & I won't with any of yours?

You're not worth responding to & this will be the last time.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton

It certainly is a mystery when you only look at points.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
How about you never quote any of my posts & I won't with any of yours?

You're not worth responding to & this will be the last time.

Seems for the best, maybe you can stop flaming innuendo in every second of your posts as well. But judging from this post I wonder.

hint. If you say something like this to somebody you don't know, on a messageboard, it seemingly says more about you.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Not sure where to post this, but its kind of odd.

Look at todays McD video on the Oilers website. Around 2;40 in Jim Matheson starts asking Connor some questions as Matheson for some reason is leaning forward and back bobbing into the camera. Strangest interview I've seen. Connor kind of looking sideways with a weird look. Not meaning to be insensitive with this, and I really don't know, but is something wrong with Matheson?

Annoyed at the questions and length of it too. Also would it be too much for the media to just occasionally give McD an out when he hasn't been feeling well? Why not ask somebody else some pointless questions? Worse is there were even some landmine questions in there. "What do you think about Talbot" jebus come on media, be better than this.

Reactions: oobga

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Not sure where to post this, but its kind of odd.

Look at todays McD video on the Oilers website. Around 2;40 in Jim Matheson starts asking Connor some questions as Matheson for some reason is leaning forward and back bobbing into the camera. Strangest interview I've seen. Connor kind of looking sideways with a weird look. Not meaning to be insensitive with this, and I really don't know, but is something wrong with Matheson?

Annoyed at the questions and length of it too. Also would it be too much for the media to just occasionally give McD an out when he hasn't been feeling well? Why not ask somebody else some pointless questions? Worse is there were even some landmine questions in there. "What do you think about Talbot" jebus come on media, be better than this.
Matheson asks the dumbest questions ever. He is either completely demented at this point or just not smart at all. Matheson, Jones, and some other old media guy constantly ask these three minute long leading questions that barely make any sense by the time they're finished.

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie
They should be splitting Drai and McD in my opinion. Were a better team when we have those two apart, McD can long change on a few shifts

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton

Not that its super important but lets make it more clear. At the time of his signing RNH just completed what was seen as a recovery year after he put up 52/62 as a rookie (68 points proR) and was also a lockout season where he completely dominated the WJC. More context is necessary. 6m/64 is 9.4% of the cap, which was less than the Eberle and Hall deals who signed for 6million when the cap was at 60 for 10%.

Draisaitl signed for 11.3% of the cap, wanted to be paid like a leader of this team so he should be considered a leader of this team.

Draisaitl is a better player than RNH and a more important player to this team, so of course he is going to be held to a higher standard. Like it or not.

No need to whine and defend him, the vast vast majority (including myself) have a lot of love for Leon and see him as a top forward in the game. We just want to see more from him at times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->