Post-Game Talk: Classic End of Game PP

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
I don't even feel like Dallas put in a full effort, reminded me of the dark years (Dark Years, Part 1 I should say) when teams didn't take the Oilers seriously and would half ass it to victory. It was eerily reminiscent of those years actually.

heh, said that in the last page my friend.

You could literally visualize the moment Benn decided to get into the game after the Benning hit. The stars were 1 goal up against a lineup unlikely to score 2 goals and they played most of the game like it.

the Stars had 8sog through the first 33mins of the game, and were winning, lol.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't Drai has a bad game last night again he made an nice play for our only goal. but I was just saying in general when Drai is having a really bad game he stinks up the bed and people complain. Thats what people do its irrational but that how people are going to act on a message board.

The double standard with him and Nugent Hopkins is glaring. RNH will never take any heat despite being older and being a no.1 overall pick. He should be the one who steps up as much as Leon in a situation like yesterday and he had a poor game.

Reactions: Zaddy

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
They need to drop Drai down with Nuge, just to see if they can gel. McDavid has played well with Rattie and Caggs, so might as well give it chance until Chia gets fired. I think this team can do some damage with a true one shot scoring winger. It would let everyone play one step down, which I think is why they look so bad sometimes, a bunch are playing above their skill level.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I don't even feel like Dallas put in a full effort, reminded me of the dark years (Dark Years, Part 1 I should say) when teams didn't take the Oilers seriously and would half ass it to victory. It was eerily reminiscent of those years actually.
This is exactly what I was thinking for the first half of the game. Dallas completely sandbagged the Oilers because they were never a threat. And then they decided to play for about 30 minutes and the Oilers stood even less of a chance.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I think more than anything what you saw last night was a result of a depleted lineup.
I wouldnt read much more into the way things played out.
Dallas has more injuries than we did and they had no problem handling the McDavid-less Oilers.

We aren't exactly a offensive powerhouse even with McDavid in the lineup. 27th in GF/G. Yeouch. We'd be worst in the league if not for McDavid.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
I don't Drai has a bad game last night again he made an nice play for our only goal. but I was just saying in general when Drai is having a really bad game he stinks up the bed and people complain. Thats what people do its irrational but that how people are going to act on a message board.

Drai doesn't have many really bad games where he stinks up the joint. Well, not relative to the rest of the players on the club anyway..

What we have here instead is a 90pt pace season, 40G pace player getting wildly criticized and much more than any other player on the team. Its kind of comical. Its to the point I refuse to even engage in GDT's anymore.

Reactions: Duke74

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yeah Dallas looked like a team that said "well McDavid's not playing, guess we don't have to try hard" last night. They were not very good for the first half of the game, but won anyway because you knew the Oilers weren't going to score when it mattered.

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london
Dallas has more injuries than we did and they had no problem handling the McDavid-less Oilers.

We aren't exactly a offensive powerhouse even with McDavid in the lineup. 27th in GF/G. Yeouch. We'd be worst in the league if not for McDavid.

In terms of salary, we had more injuries. No Sekera, No Reider, No McDavid and No Spooner. Thats 23 million dollars in injuries compared to their 17mil

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
This is exactly what I was thinking for the first half of the game. Dallas completely sandbagged the Oilers because they were never a threat. And then they decided to play for about 30 minutes and the Oilers stood even less of a chance.

Dallas took two periods off and were still winning. You could see the Dallas bench all laughing in the 3rd period at how easy this was. It was like playing an AHL club in an exhibition game. The only issue was solving Koski and it looks like from game film the Stars figured that part out.

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london
Drai doesn't have many really bad games where he stinks up the joint. Well, not relative to the rest of the players on the club anyway..

What we have here instead is a 90pt pace season, 40G pace player getting wildly criticized and much more than any other player on the team. Its kind of comical. Its to the point I refuse to even engage in GDT's anymore.

I also feel there are more expectations for him too. Different roles. Again People are going to complain when he f***s up. He has done a good job this season and I feel like All three of our centers have had bad games but if we are going to win hockey games, we live and die with those three. If one f***s up, we most likely not going to win. That's how our team is currently built sadly.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
In terms of salary, we had more injuries. No Sekera, No Reider, No McDavid and No Spooner. Thats 23 million dollars in injuries compared to their 17mil

That's including Spooner, and Sekera, and its not really clear what their worth is. When last seen Sekera was not good. Spooner has not been good at any point this season.

in any case Klingberg moves the needle more than any D we have.

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london

You could literally visualize the moment Benn decided to get into the game after the Benning hit. The stars were 1 goal up against a lineup unlikely to score 2 goals and they played most of the game like it.

the Stars had 8sog through the first 33mins of the game, and were winning, lol.

I disagree Stars first two goals were pretty flukey. I thought the Oilers did a good job in the first 33 minutes from limiting their chances. Benn doesn't even get a point if a) kassian didn't do smt stupid b) he gets called for interference on Caggiula.

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london
That's including Spooner, and Sekera, and its not really clear what their worth is. When last seen Sekera was not good. Spooner has not been good at any point this season.

in any case Klingberg moves the needle more than any D we have.​

Ya I know but I also included Hanzal on Dallas too. Spooner has been meh so far this season but he would've have been an extra body and Nuge and Drai wouldnt need to play 25 minutes each if he was able to fit in. Also lets ignore those two anyways it was 15.5mil to 12.8mil for us still. Our injuries were far more impactful.

we are missing CONNOR f***IN MCDAVID and we are talking about klingberg and his impact on dallas's D. GTFO.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Yet Leon is the only one that gets flak.

RNH delivered a whole bunch of nothing offensively yesterday and was horrendous in the face off circle.

This guy is a no.1 overall and is in his prime years now and that's his definition of "stepping up" when McDavid is out. I think that warrants some criticism, he didn't even generate one single scoring chance against a team missing 4 of its regular D.

At age 25, in a situation like yesterday he should be the one stepping up and leading the team.

Drai is the one who wanted to be paid 8.5 million, let him be the one to step it up. Yes Nuge should step up too but Drai is the one who should be leading the way.

Draft position means nothing btw. Calgary doesnt look at Bennett to step up for them, they look to Johnny Hockey.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Not meaning to throw shade on RNH. Just to reveal the double standard. Of the two players its quite clear that with a 3rd pick the Oilers hit the home run with Drai. Won the draft, undeniable. While many better players than Nuge were contained in the 2011 draft in which Nuge was first pick. Of the two its quite clear who has developed more, and in a much shorter period of time.

Its just odd which player gets scathing reviews chronically here (even in the press) and which player can do no wrong.

Excellent posts by yourself in anycase. Quite enjoyable reads.

I too don't understand the discrepancy in views.

Its uncanny, I think its that Drai has done so much people figure he should be getting closer to McD, whereas with Nuge its a player that is considered not even in the same league as a superstar so people are content with what he is.

The other day somebody actually stated that "Drais contract is closer to McD's and so his production should be closer to McD than to 6m buck players." The bias was so strong that the poster couldn't even add up numbers amidst the apparent rage. That Drai contract is 4M removed from McD and only 2.5M from the 6M buck players on this team.

Somewhat curiously RNH+Lucic(nothing) adds up to 29pts. Drai has 30pts. More than 12M of contract represented on this team. Important to note that Lucic was signed for production potential.

Yeah I agree Draisaitl has developed much faster then Nuge and absolutely believe we got the best player from that draft. I was following it that year and Draisaitl was by far the player I wanted the most. It was the big center, hard to knock off the puck with high hockey IQ we have been coveting for so long. Short memories for some people when we had Gagner, Horcoff, Belanger, Nilsson, Brule, Lander as some our center rotations throughout the years. They're are players in their own rights but we had nothing like Draisaitl, and Nuge was probably the only real top 6 center for a time. Now we have McDavid, Draisaitl, and Nuge? Writing those names is still a wonder to me. We are so lucky to have that as that our center depth.

And thank you, and extend my sentiments to your posts as well. I may not agree with all your posts, but they are usually well thought out in argument, and it may not be the popular opinion. But usually it is important to bring those ideas for debate, the ability to think through ideas, even conflicting ones and come out with your own conclusion is more important today against the mob mentality that is running rampant in the world. Sometimes it is necessary to stir the pot.

It is uncanny where people bias is so strong, they cannot listen to reason. I understand they are looking at how it stands against the cap. And obviously we have too many under performing players that are not worth their contract and our hands tied for the next couple years. But Draisaitl is not the problem. In the end though, it is not my money paying their salary. So, I don't have to get to worked up on it XD.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

the Stars had 8sog through the first 35mins of the game, and were winning, lol.

This is what was so disconcerting about the game last night. The Oilers played very hard, as well as they could with the lineup they iced, and they still came up short against a team that was cruising most of the game, a team that also had key pieces missing.

In a way, I was interested to see how they could do without McDavid after all this talk about how they are nothing without McDavid and last nights' game was a summation of our worst fears. They weren't bad but that was about the max we could expect from them without 97, it didn't look like a team that was ever threatening.

It just puts in perspective how average the team is even with the best player on the planet in his 4th season. Only the Oilers could bungle this.

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london
Drai is the one who wanted to be paid 8.5 million, let him be the one to step it up. Yes Nuge should step up too but Drai is the one who should be leading the way.

Draft position means nothing btw. Calgary doesnt look at Bennett to step up for them, they look to Johnny Hockey.

This.

Reactions: North and A91

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
I disagree Stars first two goals were pretty flukey. I thought the Oilers did a good job in the first 33 minutes from limiting their chances. Benn doesn't even get a point if a) kassian didn't do smt stupid b) he gets called for interference on Caggiula.

I thought the Stars were very uninvolved in the game. Even some boobirds chirping from the crowd even though Stars were winning and half assing it out there. The Stars are a very up and down lineup. They get better, or worse, on a dime and often times within the same game. The top 3 Stars players are more the fatcat type player than anybody we have here. All of these could be much better players if they applied themselves more consistently. Indeed the Dallas team results are all over the map because these 3 have such swings. I like all 3 ftr. just that they do dog it at times.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think more than anything what you saw last night was a result of a depleted lineup.
I wouldnt read much more into the way things played out.

That team looked pretty much exactly like what you would expect them to look like given the circumstance and blasted an uncomfortable light on the reality of what McDavid has to work with here.

Zero surprises at all last night.

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie
We were the better team for 2 periods without mcDavid. Several missed interference calls in the offensive zone and thus could not sustain pressure. Phantom calls on Kassian and Benning, one leading to a goal. Oh and numerous scoring chances on our PP without mcDavid, khudobin playing great. Not sky is falling game in my opinion.

Reffing, while not the main reason for our problems, has been so bad for so long. I cant recall even one game where we had calls slanted in our favor over the last 3 years. It seems we either get fair reffing occasionally or total BS against us. Calgary game was a prime example of the latter, we win that probably if Thachuk gets called for 3rd man in on McDavid scrum and dont need to go after him after the fact.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
We were the better team for 2 periods without mcDavid. Several missed interference calls in the offensive zone and thus could not sustain pressure. Phantom calls on Kassian and Benning, one leading to a goal. Oh and numerous scoring chances on our PP without mcDavid, khudobin playing great. Not sky is falling game in my opinion.

Reffing, while not the main reason for our problems, has been so bad for so long. I cant recall even one game where we had calls slanted in our favor over the last 3 years. It seems we either get fair reffing occasionally or total BS against us. Calgary game was a prime example of the latter, we win that probably if Thachuk gets called for 3rd man in on McDavid scrum and dont need to go after him after the fact.

Dallas looked like an NBA team that found out they were playing the Lakers ... with no LeBron James. They played flat but knew they were gonna win because the Oilers had no push.

It looked exactly like an NBA game where one team finds out at the last minute the other team's star is not playing and they are basically going to win by default. In those situations a lot of the times that team will come out flat and the team missing the star player will at least in the beginning come out swinging.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

Chiarelli is the one who decided to pay him that much.

Only on HFOil do PPG centers get demonized more than 6 million dollar WOAT floaters.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Johnny Hockey also has Monahan and now Lindholm to play with so it's a lot easier for him to "step up". Lets see him with Lucic, Cagguila, Chaissson and whoever and see what happens.

They're asking Drai to "step up" with two anchors attached to him, with different anchors rotating in every few games. Some of you seem to think that he's a Crosby/McDavid level talent who should be able to live up to $8.5M (whatever that means) with just about anybody on his wing, something that even McDavid hasn't had to do in his entire career.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Johnny Hockey also has Monahan and now Lindholm to play with so it's a lot easier for him to "step up". Lets see him with Lucic, Cagguila, Chaissson and whoever and see what happens.

They're asking Drai to "step up" with two anchors attached to him, with different anchors rotating in every few games. Some of you seem to think that he's a Crosby/McDavid level talent who should be able to live up to $8.5M (whatever that means) with just about anybody on his wing, something that even McDavid hasn't had to do in his entire career.
f***, even McDavid couldn't make a player out of Lucic last year. Just imagine if he had wingers that weren't the worst in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->