Classic Canucks Fights 1-26

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It's funny how 'The Code' for fighters is something that really only evolved in the 1990s.

Pretty much every fight in the '70s and '80s, guys are throwing punches at guys prone on the ground, trying to sucker guys held by refs, or joining as a 3rd man in if their guy is losing.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
While I agree that the days of the goon and the brawl are behind us, I do still see a place for the occasional spur of the moment emotion driven dust-up and the message sending frontier justice type altercation.

I find it puzzling that modern sports fans simultaneously seem to be both anti-fighting in the NHL and big MMA supporters.

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
While I agree that the days of the goon and the brawl are behind us, I do still see a place for the occasional spur of the moment emotion driven dust-up and the message sending frontier justice type altercation.

I find it puzzling that modern sports fans simultaneously seem to be both anti-fighting in the NHL and big MMA supporters.
That's a good point, they love a bloody fight and when McGregor thows things around but they want fighting out of hockey.

Doyle Hargraves

May 11, 2018
I really love this particular video, something about the organ music. Coxe is probably the toughest Canuck ever?

No not even close. Coxe was game and entertaining as hell but he lost as much as he won. The other Coxe and Probert fight is actually better

Fraser
Brashear
Delorme
Snepsts
Mchilhargey all tough as hell

Reactions: cabinessence

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
I once had a poll on the Canucks Message Board of I think the Top 25 of all time.

I may be missing a few but from memory, the top ones were:

1. Coxe - Probert 1
2. Delorme - Macoun
3. Coxe - Probert 2
4. Stojanov - Chase
5. Walker - Keane
6. Coxe - Paterson 2
7. Fraser - Wilson
8. Cochrane - McLelland
9. Butcher - Bourque
10.Rypien - Janssens
11. Snepsts - Schultz
12. Stern - Keane
13. Diduck - Thornton
14. Delorme - Cochrane
15. Coxe - Paterson 3
16. Odjick - McSorley 4
17. Petit - Probert
18. Mcilhargey - Fotiu 1
19. Odjick - Ray
20. Coxe - Baumgartner

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Momesso was an underrated fighter for the Canucks (probably because that really wasn't why he was in the lineup heh).

You know why Black Hawks defenseman spoke with a weird voice? It was from Momesso catching him with a punch to the throat.

A guy that always had your back if you were in trouble.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
OK, so we all make fun of Ron Delorme as his work as a scout for the Canucks....but when he was a player, there wasn't a player he wouldn't back down from in a fight. Not a great fight but just to show that he wasn't afraid of taking on THE most feared fighter in the league (pretty much in his prime) - Semenko:

Doyle Hargraves

May 11, 2018
OK, so we all make fun of Ron Delorme as his work as a scout for the Canucks....but when he was a player, there wasn't a player he wouldn't back down from in a fight. Not a great fight but just to show that he wasn't afraid of taking on THE most feared fighter in the league (pretty much in his prime) - Semenko:

Delorme actually unearthed quite a few kids out of a Western Canada back in the day. However for the last fifteen years or so he hasn’t counted too many coups

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Delorme actually unearthed quite a few kids out of a Western Canada back in the day. However for the last fifteen years or so he hasn’t counted too many coups

Try last 23 years.

He never found anyone before the 1994 draft and basically never found anyone after the 1995 draft.

Unfortunately those two drafts - which history tells us were probably flukes - were fresh in people's minds when Mike Penney left in 1998 and saw him get a big promotion.

Doyle Hargraves

May 11, 2018
Linden and Nedved were layups obviously. But guys like Valk, Ward, Nash, Schaefer, Sopel, Muckalt and Scatchard were excellent value for where they were picked. But like you say he has been asleep at the wheel since 95. Time to put him out to pasture. I’m not sure how much power he has anymore though.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
Not really among the top, but a honorably mention
Öhlund did his share and took some too, even if he was no goon by any standards

Reactions: timbermen

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
Not really among the top, but a honorably mention
Öhlund did his share and took some too, even if he was no goon by any standards

Ohlund didn't fight very often but when he did, he could hold his own very well.Remember those battles against Iggy and the Flames? Classic !!

Reactions: LiveeviL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad