Class Action Settlement for GameCenter/Center Ice

InGENEious

Apr 16, 2013
New York City
Can anyone with some legal background summarize this?

Really, I just want to know what I should do to pay the least amount for the most Pens games on Game Center Live. I live in NYC, the blackouts REALLY affect me. Thanks MSG Network.... :help:

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Can anyone with some legal background summarize this?

Really, I just want to know what I should do to pay the least amount for the most Pens games on Game Center Live. I live in NYC, the blackouts REALLY affect me. Thanks MSG Network.... :help:

Not sure if this is against the rules, but there's this website that rhymes with "edit" and you can find streams of every game posted there. I use it religiously for MLB. You could also change your (VPN?) so that your location says you're somewhere else where games aren't blacked out. I have literally no clue how you would do that, but I've seen a lot of people talk about that, many people do that for Netflix.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
So how are blackouts changed in this ruling? I'm not sure I understand the results of the lawsuit.

If I read it correctly, I can buy a Penguins specific NHL gamecenter package that doesn't black out any games but it costs 80% of the total cost of the subscription. What if I want all Penguins games and all other team's games (understanding that the other team's will be blacked out)? Do I have to buy two packages?

GFF

Mar 16, 2002
www.wrweb.co.uk
So how are blackouts changed in this ruling? I'm not sure I understand the results of the lawsuit.

If I read it correctly, I can buy a Penguins specific NHL gamecenter package that doesn't black out any games but it costs 80% of the total cost of the subscription. What if I want all Penguins games and all other team's games (understanding that the other team's will be blacked out)? Do I have to buy two packages?

The way I see it, you only pay for Penguins games but they will still be blacked out locally...

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
The way I see it, you only pay for Penguins games but they will still be blacked out locally...

Really? How does that benefit consumers?

My issue with gamecenter live is that I live in Cleveland and NHL gamecenter says that Pittsburgh is a local market for me so they black out all Pens games. However, that literally makes no sense because I can't even get Root Sports on a cable package in Cleveland. So I use a VPN to work around the blackout. It works just fine, but I think it's a terrible system and hurts NHL viewership.

GFF

Mar 16, 2002
www.wrweb.co.uk
• Under the Settlement and subject to the NHL’s continued delineation of its clubs’ local broadcast territorial rights, and associated blackout practices, the NHL has agreed to provide seasonal packages of single team’s out-of-market games through NHL GameCenter LIVE for each and every NHL Club (e.g., a stream of just the Chicago Blackhawks’ out-of-market games). These individual team bundles will be priced at 20% below the cost of the full GameCenter LIVE package. The NHL has also agreed to make this option available to Comcast and DIRECTV so that they may offer unbundled seasonal packages of single team games for each and every NHL Club available through NHL Center Ice, although Comcast and DIRECTV are not obligated to offer such packages.

The package will just be for out of market games...the idea I think is that people were wanting to watch their local team and couldn't because of blackouts so they have said fine, have them for less...but you won't get any other teams' games...

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
The package will just be for out of market games...the idea I think is that people were wanting to watch their local team and couldn't because of blackouts so they have said fine, have them for less...but you won't get any other teams' games...

That's how I read it as well. What about nationally broadcasted games? Will this new package work for the 10 games the Pens seem to get every year on the NHL network?

It's easy enough to get a VPN work around to avoid the blackouts. I got one last year and all you had to do was turn it on to load the game and then turn it off.

Uemoda

Formerly OminousGrey
Jun 28, 2011
Pennsylvania
www.twitter.com
no

wait your turn you're bothering me

Just came in to say this guy is amazing. :handclap:

Still don't understand whether or not Center Ice will be free for me....I'm not going to pay 80% when I could get the other 29 teams for 20% more. But if blackouts are impacted, or a free year is in the works, I'd be super interested.

FanaticalFan

Jun 14, 2002
Visit site
That's how I read it as well. What about nationally broadcasted games? Will this new package work for the 10 games the Pens seem to get every year on the NHL network?

It's easy enough to get a VPN work around to avoid the blackouts. I got one last year and all you had to do was turn it on to load the game and then turn it off.

It is my understanding that they will still black out any nationally broadcasted games.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Center Ice was such a ****ing gong show last year that I'm sticking to streams until I know they've got their act together. ********.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad